Austin Wiley Injury Status

logan adams

FWIW Stephen Hooks who is connected well with the basketball program posted on Scout that Wiley is still hurting but playing through it. A couple posts down he says there's no risk of him playing making it worse. All FWIW.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder if sitting him for 2 weeks will help? I would sit him the next 2 weeks and then play him for the SEC tourney. 

I do think he would add so much to this team if he was healthy. 

6 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

I wonder if sitting him for 2 weeks will help? I would sit him the next 2 weeks and then play him for the SEC tourney. 

If we were on more solid ground record wise i'd agree with this but i don't know that we have the luxury of sitting him for the next 2 weeks and can still make the tourney. I think we just have to be as careful as possible with the minutes he plays. 

2 hours ago, gravejd said:

I'll take what we can get but man wish we could have seen the best of Wiley at some point in his AU career

Hopefully he will be healthy next year. Doesn’t look like he’s going pro.

59 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

Apparently sitting him a couple more weeks will help his pain much.

51 minutes ago, gravejd said:

If we were on more solid ground record wise i'd agree with this but i don't know that we have the luxury of sitting him for the next 2 weeks and can still make the tourney. I think we just have to be as careful as possible with the minutes he plays. 

We could sit him and make the NCAA tournament. The only thing we need to lock up a tourney spot is to beat Georgia on the road and win our first round is SEC tournament game or another game left on the regular season schedule.

5 hours ago, ellitor said:

Hopefully he will be healthy next year. Doesn’t look like he’s going pro.

I don't understand this whole "Wiley going Pro" thing nor did I understand last year.  What has he shown on the court that makes anyone think he can play in the NBA?  I'm not trying to dog the man, just sincerely don't get it.

5 minutes ago, fishepa said:

I don't understand this whole "Wiley going Pro" thing nor did I understand last year.  What has he shown on the court that makes anyone think he can play in the NBA?  I'm not trying to dog the man, just sincerely don't get it.

The NBA doesn't care what you do on the college court for the most part. The NBA Draft is all about potential not about production. They just need to see the physical potential that they can mold him into something. And he's got the physical tools. 

22 minutes ago, fishepa said:

When he was fully healthy this season he was turning into a beast and had the highest player efficiency rating on the team by far. He’s also proved to be an elite rim protector too when healthy. I think his injury history is a bigger red flag to his draft stock than his ability 

2 hours ago, fishepa said:

Well he went to pre draft camp and dominated. And he actually have good moves. He's a big man though and he needs to be fed the ball consistently. Somehow people watch the games and don'tnotice all the things he was providing

3 hours ago, fishepa said:

The last time he was 100% healthy aside from the precamps Cole said above, was when he was on the USA U-19 national team. His play was much better all around. That Wiley would have gone pro.

9 hours ago, ellitor said:

We could sit him and make the NCAA tournament. The only thing we need to lock up a tourney spot is to beat Georgia on the road and win our first round is SEC tournament game or another game left on the regular season schedule.

We could but i'd like to get a couple good wins and get out of the 8-9 seed range. I think we need him to beat the likes of MSU, Kentucky, and Tenn

15 minutes ago, gravejd said:

We could but i'd like to get a couple good wins and get out of the 8-9 seed range. I think we need him to beat the likes of MSU, Kentucky, and Tenn

Agreed!

12 hours ago, gravejd said:

Not sure in his current condition if he is enough help to do that.   Mostly looks like we are dependant on having a couple gunners hitting the threes...inside game is little help on offense or defense.

Wiley being a filler in the lane will be a bigger help to us from when we played Kentucky last time.  That was his first game out.  Add in that big man Travis for Kentucky is out, we should be able to get a few more rebounds and prevent a few more easy scores.  Wiley doesn't have to score for us to be able to use him today.  Need a disrupter. Our guards need to hold the ball and make smart shots. We will need a better than normal free throw day as well. 

2 hours ago, AU64 said:

Not sure in his current condition if he is enough help to do that.   Mostly looks like we are dependant on having a couple gunners hitting the threes...inside game is little help on offense or defense.

I disagree completely about defense, I don't know if you consider a big or not but the only reason we slow anybody down it's because of the front court. The only games they were lit up was duke and South Carolina off the top of my head. But when we lose it's definitely a guard going off

Who was the big center for Kentucky years ago who was almost never able to play consistently....great potential but.....chronic injuries of one kind or another.  I wonder if AW is headed down the same path....just can't seem to get fully healthy.

16 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Who was the big center for Kentucky years ago who was almost never able to play consistently....great potential but.....chronic injuries of one kind or another.  I wonder if AW is headed down the same path....just can't seem to get fully healthy.

Sam Bowie came to mind for some reason. 

43 minutes ago, gr82be said:

Sam Bowie came to mind for some reason. 

That is who I was thinking of.  Hoping AW can shake off the injury bug..

• 3 weeks later...

Just curious where Wiley is in his recovery, and whether he might turn up at some point in either the SEC or NCAA tourney.

44.gif

In all seriousness I hope he can play against South Carolina if *knock on wood* we win our first game. South Carolina is one of the main teams we NEED him against.

• ellitor changed the title to Austin Wiley Injury Status

Wiley was upgraded from questionable to day to day.  He seems to be improving with a 50/50 chance.  My guess is rest him for the Missouri/Georgia game tomorrow and play him the following game.

Archived