Men vs. New Mexico State - game thread

WarTiger

20 minutes ago, around4ever said:

True.  I forgot about C of C in San Diego.  Never mind my old brain. 

This is a team of mostly junior and seniors....really need to showing more maturity...sure don't want to see a repeat of last year 

• Replies 576
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We’re going to have to have to get something, anything from the center position to beat Kansas. 

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

How much do you think tired legs and altitude might have played a part at the end? 

Tired legs? Not certain. Altitude? Played a huge role. We simply are not use to it. It matters significantly.

2 hours ago, Tiger said:

Post game in the locker room does not look like a team advancing. Usually it's all kind of jubilation

I kinda like it 

Altitude = totally spent

You can’t play well 6,8,10 games in a row! We have almost done it though. At least we won the wordt game we’ve played in two months. Reset button and move on to Saturday!

Bruce has to decide how to play when we have a significant lead near the end of games.  When we slow it down to eat clock, we play dumb as hell.  When we play fast and shoot open shots in rhythm, we're at our best.  I know it runs the risk of someone taking a dumb jump shot too soon, but there has to be a fine line there. I don't think we can win playing half court basketball for any length of time.

2 hours ago, cole256 said:

I'm sure they were tied but the decision making at the end was horrible. Harper turning the ball over and the offensive foul. Being stupid giving up a 3 rather than two. Shooting one and ones with the game on the line and you don't secure the ball multiple times??? That's called heart. Brown fouling one a 3 point attempt? These are things that can't happen. 

Not exploiting a mismatch like we had is on them and the coach as well. I didn't see losing plays from being winded. I saw losing plays from not being smart

O2 deprivation impacts ones brain as well.

i just finished reading this game thread and i see that ya'll were going through all of the same emotions and stuff as i was....i was coming unglued because of the brain dead basketball at the end, and actually, for most of the game....missed LAYUPS and FREE THROWS and DUMB FOULS turned what should have been a blowout win into a ridiculously close game....why do harper and brown try to block 3 ball shots?(browns fouls was beyond stupid but it worked in our favor)....both of them are slightly taller than medium sized midgets and they want to block a jump shot with the shooter being a person who has to duck going through a doorway....damn, they have to play smarter

1 hour ago, ArgoEagle said:

We were producing oxygen with all the brain farts we oozed out at the end.😨

That’s not oxygen my friend! 😂 

1 hour ago, fishepa said:

We’re going to have to have to get something, anything from the center position to beat Kansas. 

Not necessarily. Tennessee, SCAR, MSU all have really good centers/forwards and we didn’t make much noise in the paint in those contests. Just need some shots to fall, and need to not go brain dead. Don’t think this team will be as bone-headed the rest of the tourney. 

That was without a doubt the dumbest last 2 minutes this team has played this year.  Almost gave the game away with pure old brain farts. And the officials looked equally inept. They were lucky to get out of that one!

What has happened to Mac?  Three points, two rebounds, and no blocks today.

1 hour ago, AUFAN78 said:

O2 deprivation impacts ones brain as well.

That's cool but I'm not about to make excuses like that.....you know how weak that makes us look

1 hour ago, fishepa said:

Nobody can complain about the post when they don't get the ball

4 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I'll take one more opportunity to consider the possibility of an emotional hangover from the SEC tournament win.

We were comfortably ahead. All we had to do was coast, but play smart and we win much more easier than today’s ending. 

We are great as making excuses for our team.....excuses that EVERYBODY else deal with btw. But I wrote very early in the season in the Maui tournament about how we are going to have to learn how to close out better. We did good against a few teams and bad against others. We need to be a little more ahead than we are being now we're here......but we won and we can learn from it. Harper in particular has to be super smart. Yes some teams do play 10-20 games good in a row. But we're in the dance now, no excuses just have to find a way to win. 

1 hour ago, doverstutts said:

was coming unglued because of the brain dead basketball at the end, and actually, for most of the game....missed LAYUPS and FREE THROWS and DUMB FOULS turned what should have been a blowout win into a ridiculously close game....why do harper and brown try to block 3 ball shots?(browns fouls was beyond stupid but it worked in our favor)....both of them are slightly taller than medium sized midgets and they want to block a jump shot with the shooter being a person who has to duck going through a doorway....damn, they have to play smarter

We definitely did not play like like a team of upper classmen. We are fortunate that an 80% FT shooter missed 2/3 FTs. To add to our screwups, they rebounded the last FT and still had a chance for another shot. 

Very lucky to get that win. Just head scratching plays at the end of the game. We've done similar in games earlier this season but its been a while and this was a first time failing apart at the end of a game. Hopefully a learning moment and we don't repeat those mistakes again. NMST gets credit for sticking with it and hitting 2 super deep threes to keep them close. I'm happy to be playing Kansas on Saturday. Lawson is going to be super tough to defend....i'm not sure who we have to match up with him. 

4 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

The way they looked coming off the floor scared me. They look dejected and defeated. I did not like it. Either way if it is Kansas we got to play much much better than we did today. shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii 

4 hours ago, mustache eagle said:

I think CBP goes full on positive with the team.  They are tired and dejected but playing Saturday.  I bet he focuses on recovery, film work and light hearted ness.  He has an infectious personality and this team plays better when they are confident and positive.  

Hope their bodies recover in the next 48.  Hoping for a long OT game for kansas

That hug from Brown and McCormick! Damn, that almost got me choked up.

Watching my recording and I'm in the dreaded final 2 minutes. Honestly, BOTH teams were playing pretty sloppy, with bodies flying everywhere. Seems like we got called for most of the fouls when it looked like they were committing plenty of them.

And important to not focus just on the last couple minutes. McCormick played really well, Harper played pretty good until the end, Okeke hit some big shots and filled up the stat sheet. We lead almost the whole game against a good team playing close to home on more rest than us. 

Archived