Men vs. New Mexico State - game thread

WarTiger

• Replies 576
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lot of stuff happened today that I mentioned. First we need Wiley, don't care what you think of him, especially in the tournament. 

Second you're only as good as your guards lead you to be. Our guards played dumb at the end of this game.

You really think we're as good on defense to claim best in the country? 

See how much size matters? Especially with defense. And this was a team that liked to run. When we play a team that plays actual defense??? You better get to that rim and free throw line.....

But we won and that's good. Hope our guys are quick learners because I'm going to be contest Kansas will shut one of our guards down.

1 minute ago, tigers23 said:

Horrible last 5 minutes. Extremely lucky to get the W. Going to have to play smarter to advance any further. 

Much smarter and I think we are going to have to rotate players on a shorter cycle.  The guards and Okeke were worn out.  Spencer's body English was not his normal self either. 

i am a nervous wreck right now, and i am 65 years old with BP issues.....i am going to check it in a minute to see if i need a pill.....i thought we were going to blowe it

3 minutes ago, Eagle-1 said:

Nerves or not,  That was stupidly blowing a 12 point lead. Bad fundamental basketball no other way to spin it.

Unless you have played at that high level on such a big stage.....you may want to stop right there.

Just now, cole256 said:

Lot of stuff happened today that I mentioned. First we need Wiley, don't care what you think of him, especially in the tournament. 

Second you're only as good as your guards lead you to be. Our guards played dumb at the end of this game.

You really think we're as good on defense to claim best in the country? 

See how much size matters? Especially with defense. And this was a team that liked to run. When we play a team that plays actual defense??? You better get to that rim and free throw line.....

But we won and that's good. Hope our guys are quick learners because I'm going to be contest Kansas will s*** one of our guards down.

How much do you think tired legs and altitude might have played a part at the end? 

5 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

We were the better team but we went brain dead. We could have pounded inside all day long but we wouldn't for some reason and at the end we couldn't keep up or we did something stupid. The ball was off of Doughty but only because the NMST play was on his back. They should have called the over the back. We can thank Jvon for this win as he was the only player who played well today.  

We should have had Wiley playing more and pounding it in to him.  In addition to the worst two minutes the team has played all year we still could have won easily if we had just made our layups or our free throws.

This comes from not doing it through out the season. But we've talked about this.

1 minute ago, WarEagle1983 said:

Agree 100%. They couldn't do anything with Wiley. We should've went through Wiley most of the game like we do sometimes with Okeke. The pressure got to us for sure. But i know that we'll clean up those mistakes. Harper has to be better at the end of the game and i know he'll come back game 2 angry 

I just don't think Bruce, nor his teammates has the confidence in Wiley. He has yet to prove to be a legitimate scorer down low. He's just as adept at missing a three footer as making one.

Post game in the locker room does not look like a team advancing. Usually it's all kind of jubilation

I kinda like it 

2 minutes ago, doverstutts said:

i am a nervous wreck right now, and i am 65 years old with BP issues.....i am going to check it in a minute to see if i need a pill.....i thought we were going to blowe it

You have Bruce Pearl issues?

Just now, Tigerbelle said:

Unless you have played at that high level on such a big stage.....you may want to stop right there.

You have no idea what level I've played on. Not basketball, but have competed in another sport, and with large sums of my own money on the line, so you may take your own advice.

Just now, McLoofus said:

How much do you think tired legs and altitude might have played a part at the end? 

I'm sure they were tied but the decision making at the end was horrible. Harper turning the ball over and the offensive foul. Being stupid giving up a 3 rather than two. Shooting one and ones with the game on the line and you don't secure the ball multiple times??? That's called heart. Brown fouling one a 3 point attempt? These are things that can't happen. 

Not exploiting a mismatch like we had is on them and the coach as well. I didn't see losing plays from being winded. I saw losing plays from not being smart

I will take a win, but that was some stupid basketball at the end. I mean like "we've never played basketball before" stupid. Gotta learn from it & move on. All the pressure was on us & not the opponent. It showed.

4 minutes ago, Eagle-1 said:

I just don't think Bruce, nor his teammates has the confidence in Wiley. He has yet to prove to be a legitimate scorer down low. He's just as adept at missing a three footer as making one.

Then the coach and players are dumb, but what you say isn't true at all

Bruce post game.

Fifth game in 8 days. At altitude.  

Players exhausted.  

Would explain a lot

7 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

I work in the medical field....and I'm headed to the cafeteria in a minute for some emotional eating....

FTR, I’m not indescriminitly pushing trees down. I’m a forester and am prepping firelanes for a prescribed burn. 

Just realized I have no food in my truck. 

5-seed Auburn survived 12-seed New Mexico State's late rally. Auburn is now 9-0 in the Round of 64, the best record since the field expanded in 1985. The Aggies were just 3-8 from the FT line in the final 2 minutes after starting the game 17-19 on FT.

2 minutes ago, Eagle-1 said:

I'm not sure about that. No Wiley isn't some dominate post player but we don't need him to be. He made a couple nice moves down low in the game today. The tournament is about matchups and how teams can exploit them. NMSt clearly didn't respect our post game today as the lane stayed wide open most of the game. We could've easily worked Wiley down low for the pass out to better shots down the stretch. 

His presence alone is respected by teams. Florida often doubled him down low as they're not a big team. For the match up today i think Wiley should've been a big factor. Our guards just didn't finish today. We won and move on so i think this will be a huge lesson from everyone. I'm honestly more confident about our next matchup. I'm not surprised we barely won today as i stated in another thread i'm more concerned about NMSt than Kansas. 

1 minute ago, cole256 said:

I'm sure they were tied but the decision making at the end was horrible. Harper turning the ball over and the offensive foul. Being stupid giving up a 3 rather than two. Shooting one and ones with the game on the line and you don't secure the ball multiple times??? That's called heart. Brown fouling one a 3 point attempt? These are things that can't happen. 

Not exploiting a mismatch like we had is on them and the coach as well. I didn't see losing plays from being winded. I saw losing plays from not being smart

Gotcha. 

I think that SEC tourney win + tired legs + oxygen deprivation could have them- Bruce included- having an off day physically and mentally, but I haven't been paying close attention all season like you and don't know much about hoops to begin with. 

3 minutes ago, AUGoo said:

Bruce post game.

Fifth game in 8 days. At altitude.  

Players exhausted.  

Would explain a lot

Well they better get it together cause there's another one soon

1 minute ago, cole256 said:

Then the coach and players are dumb, but what you say isn't true at all

Not arguing with you friend. I get frustrated because we don't work the ball inside enough. Maybe Wiley doesn't get it inside enough to prove to be a consistent scorer. I did however see him miss a two footer in this game that didn't even draw iron.

But I don't want everybody coming at me saying whatever. I'm happy we won, disappointed on how we closed. We ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY CANNOT WIN PLAYING DUMB. We don't have more physical talent than hardly anybody. We have to play smart if we don't do anything else. Having guards who have started since they've been here can't make mistakes like that.....I mean dude shot the last shot wide open. That's not acceptable. It's just not, I'm sorry I'm going to tell the truth

1 minute ago, WarEagle1983 said:

I'm not sure about that. No Wiley isn't some dominate post player but we don't need him to be. He made a couple nice moves down low in the game today. The tournament is about matchups and how teams can exploit them. NMSt clearly didn't respect our post game today as the lane stayed wide open most of the game. We could've easily worked Wiley down low for the pass out to better shots down the stretch. 

His presence alone is respected by teams. Florida often doubled him down low as they're not a big team. For the match up today i think Wiley should've been a big factor. Our guards just didn't finish today. We won and move on so i think this will be a huge lesson from everyone. I'm honestly more confident about our next matchup. I'm not surprised we barely won today as i stated in another thread i'm more concerned about NMSt than Kansas. 

Oh, I think he should have been utilized much more myself. No argument there.

Archived