Men vs. New Mexico State - game thread

WarTiger

I see 2 advantages we may have Saturday. We had a tough game today and had to execute through adversity to win. KU coasted and didn't have as much competition. N-eastern mailed it in early in the second half. Also I think our quickness will cause a problem for them. Their advantage will be they should be a little more rested than us.

• Replies 576
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, 3rdgeneration said:

Watching my recording and I'm in the dreaded final 2 minutes. 

Thoughts and prayers. 

34 minutes ago, tgrogan21 said:

That hug from Brown and McCormick! Damn, that almost got me choked up.

Jvon played huge today.

Bruce could give the game of inches speech better than the coach in the movie. JS

4 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Jvon played huge today.

Bruce could give the game of inches speech better than the coach in the movie. JS

I know I have the orange & blue glasses on but if I'm a high school basketball player I don't know how I would NOT want to play for Pearl. I pretty much always have the green light to shoot, I would play press defense which leads to a lot of turnovers and a lot of easy buckets on the other end, and I would get one of the best motivational speakers amping me up before and after every game. Add in the fact that he's building something really special and you would be in the NCAA tournament every year that he's here ... 

1 hour ago, gravejd said:

Very lucky to get that win. Just head scratching plays at the end of the game. We've done similar in games earlier this season but its been a while and this was a first time failing apart at the end of a game. Hopefully a learning moment and we don't repeat those mistakes again. NMST gets credit for sticking with it and hitting 2 super deep threes to keep them close. I'm happy to be playing Kansas on Saturday. Lawson is going to be super tough to defend....i'm not sure who we have to match up with him. 

Okeke

We just need to play loose and have fun. That is how we played in the sec tourney and we dominated. We have already had a great season. Let’s show Kansas how we Can play when we shoot lights out. 

It’s fun being in the tourney. Not many of these moments in my lifetime. 

1 hour ago, ArgoEagle said:

I see 2 advantages we may have Saturday. We had a tough game today and had to execute through adversity to win. KU coasted and didn't have as much competition. N-eastern mailed it in early in the second half. Also I think our quickness will cause a problem for them. Their advantage will be they should be a little more rested than us.

If we are hitting 3s, hitting our fts, and limiting turnovers - we can play with anyone. It is that simple. 

28 minutes ago, Tiger said:

lol because of this :

Might need to ban him until after the game just to announce to the Basketball Gods that we renounce such tomfoolery and to err on the safe side.

Just now, aujeff11 said:

Might need to ban him until after the game just to announce to the Basketball Gods that we renounce such tomfoolery and to err on the safe side.

Lol there was a faction of posters requesting that in the thread. The hoop lords are certainly not above such sacrifice. Ball don't lie, they were definitely trying to teach us a lesson but let us off the hook today. Lesson learned... Hopefully lol

Just jokes, DTR 

Just now, aujeff11 said:

Amen 🙏 

Avery is out. That sucks 

Noooooo... Who's the rumored replacement?

Just now, Tiger said:

Noooooo... Who's the rumored replacement?

Some Bama fans want Steve Forbes out of ETSU. He was supposedly Bruce’s right hand man at Tennessee. 

6 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Some Bama fans want Steve Forbes out of ETSU. He was supposedly Bruce’s right hand man at Tennessee. 

HA if they thought Bruce vs Avery is bad just wait until the student has to face his teacher in every rivalry game

7 hours ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Not necessarily. Tennessee, SCAR, MSU all have really good centers/forwards and we didn’t make much noise in the paint in those contests. Just need some shots to fall, and need to not go brain dead. Don’t think this team will be as bone-headed the rest of the tourney. 

Exactly. Play good defense and fight for those rebounds.

9 hours ago, AUGoo said:

Okeke

That was my first thought but if we do that we may have trouble matching up their bigs. Maybe Dunbar and Samir can give it a go? Or we play a bigger lineup with Okeke and 2 bigs in the game? Will be interesting to see how pearl handles it. Maybe more zone as well since they don’t shoot great from outside

10 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

If we are hitting 3s, hitting our fts, and limiting turnovers - we can play with anyone. It is that simple. 

I agree. Just saying we match up with some teams better than others. I think KU is a good matchup for us.

42 minutes ago, ArgoEagle said:

I agree. Just saying we match up with some teams better than others. I think KU is a good matchup for us.

Kansas is one of those teams that is bigger than us, but not insanely physical. Those are the types of teams we’ve performed well against this season. 

May be a problem with our guards. That's what I'm worried about more than anything. Grimes I imagine will guard Brown and he's athletic and strong. We'll see how that goes for Brown getting shots off. Dotson will attack the basket and make Harper work on the defensive end which causes two concerns, last two games teams has pretty easily gotten Harper in foul trouble, Harper has played a bunch of minutes this season and this is going to add on to any fatigue. 

My 2 cents

28 minutes ago, cole256 said:

May be a problem with our guards. That's what I'm worried about more than anything. Grimes I imagine will guard Brown and he's athletic and strong. We'll see how that goes for Brown getting shots off. Dotson will attack the basket and make Harper work on the defensive end which causes two concerns, last two games teams has pretty easily gotten Harper in foul trouble, Harper has played a bunch of minutes this season and this is going to add on to any fatigue. 

My 2 cents

Hey Cole keep up the good work. Always enjoy your valuable insight on things in basketball. Just do not get why so many on here give you such a hard time.

11 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

I always thought he looked like a grown-up Waldo

Forbes_Steve.png

1 hour ago, Tee_It_Up_AU_TIGERS said:

Hey Cole keep up the good work. Always enjoy your valuable insight on things in basketball. Just do not get why so many on here give you such a hard time.

Preciate you bro

2 hours ago, cole256 said:

My 2 cents

Our guards are definitely going to have to play better. Harper can't play like he has the last two games and us advance. Someone is also going to have their hands full with their 4 man. He can play inside and out, I worry about wearing out Okeke if that is the primary matchup. 

Archived