Men vs. New Mexico State - game thread

WarTiger

1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

I would not dump it in to Spencer unless it was a guaranteed 2 points. He is just not a good scorer and he has no touch around the rim.  He has not moves either. He is  awkward when he tries to score. It is a wasted possession to me. But Wiley? Yes if he has his man sealed I would def dump it in to him. That is where he shined as a freshmen.

1,000% facts! 

• Replies 576
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They outrebounded us 39-24....... I know they are a good rebounding team but yikes. 

If that foul on Okeke would have been called late in the game it would have ended differently!

3 minutes ago, toddc said:

If that foul on Okeke would have been called late in the game it would have ended differently!

That was egregious. It was so obvious. 

I'll take one more opportunity to consider the possibility of an emotional hangover from the SEC tournament win. Tie that in with any physical exhaustion and it's a recipe for a major let down. Especially since it was such a comfortable win against a much better opponent than New Mexico State.

Just now, McLoofus said:

I'll take one more opportunity to consider the possibility of an emotional hangover from the SEC tournament win. Tie that in with any physical exhaustion and it's a recipe for a major let down. Especially since it was such a comfortable win against a much better opponent than New Mexico State.

Well we had a comfortable lead late so I would say we WERE doing fine. EITHER WAY I am so numb right now. I cannot move hardly. I doubt I will be able to watch any basketball the rest of the day lol. I am SHOOK fam. 

Just now, McLoofus said:

I think we have to give NMSt credit though. It's so much parity in CBB this year it's crazy. Yes, we're capable of beating anyone but so are many other teams. We came out strong the 2nd half so i don't believe we were tired or the other factors. We just mentally checked out and didn't finish the game. FSU struggled most of their game...Michigan State is in a heated game with Bradley. This tournament is wide open this year. This will be my first year missing the opening round being in Vegas and there's a reason i skipped opening round b/c i felt it was going to be so unpredictable. 

4 minutes ago, Gene Loblaw said:

Let’s all cheer for Northeastern gang. Trust me, #4 on their squad can light it up

Be careful what you wish for. lol

meanwhile....Bradly leading Michigan state.....guess this stuff can happen to anyone...

19 minutes ago, AUGoo said:

Bruce says they're exhausted.

The SEC needs to look at ending the tourney on Saturday.  That extra 24 hours would help the two finalist recover.  

1 minute ago, AU64 said:

meanwhile....Bradly leading Michigan state.....guess this stuff can happen to anyone...

A ton of parity this year.

2 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

A ton of parity this year.

I figured a lot of parity from 4 seeds down....JMO but you could have just put all the names in a jar and drawn them out and gotten as just as good a group of match-ups as we did by all of the juggling and weighing teams strength. 

Now that we put some space between us and that absolutely heart stopping end to that game. 27 wins on the year! More than last year. 53 wins in 2 seasons. I believe that ties the record for most wins over 2 seasons. 

53 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Things I noticed Wiley and Spencer both had their man sealed in close and ball not passed to them multiple times. DP played pretty decent inside defense but when he was covering a quick player outside he got beat bad.  He stands up to straight on Defense when playing outside and his feet are to close together so it is hard for him to react.  The ball movement that we saw against Tenn wasn't there and the defense inside that we saw against Tenn wasn't there either.  

I do believe the altitude and number of games played in last 8 days had something to do with it. Remember NMST plays at altitude all the time so they are acclimated to altitude. I think the team was both physically tired and mentally tired. 

I would like the Kansas game to be  a fast paced nail biter maybe even an OT or two wear the winners legs out. 

It’s been a problem with BB all season, he rarely passes to the post even when they flash right in front of him. Doughty and Malik try but I guess they’re so condition to pass it back to JH, JVon or Bryce instead 

We also have to remember that no player on our team has ever been in the position of being on the verge of winning a NCAA Tournament game.  We were blown out last year.   I'm hoping we are over the nerves now and can settle down and play our game against Kansas.  

Auburn players looked o2 deprived that last 3 minutes or so! It’s as if their brains shut down from a lack of oxygen. No good decisions at all by anyone.

5 minutes ago, around4ever said:

We also have to remember that no player on our team has ever been in the position of being on the verge of winning a NCAA Tournament game.  We were blown out last year.   I'm hoping we are over the nerves now and can settle down and play our game against Kansas.  

First round of last year was a win though while having to hit clutch free throws to close it out. We lost to Clemson in the 2nd round

12 minutes ago, auburntiger1987 said:

First round of last year was a win though while having to hit clutch free throws to close it out. We lost to Clemson in the 2nd round

True.  I forgot about C of C in San Diego.  Never mind my old brain. 

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

I would not dump it in to Spencer unless it was a guaranteed 2 points. He is just not a good scorer and he has no touch around the rim.  He has no moves either. He is  awkward when he tries to score. It is a wasted possession to me. But Wiley? Yes if he has his man sealed I would def dump it in to him. That is where he shined as a freshmen.

You are right about Spencer

I have seen a couple of good teams have bad first game. Which we did. Hopefully we have it out of our system and play well against Kansas as they look really good today.

28 minutes ago, toddc said:

Auburn players looked o2 deprived that last 3 minutes or so! It’s as if their brains shut down from a lack of oxygen. No good decisions at all by anyone.

We were producing oxygen with all the brain farts we oozed out at the end.😨

Murray State gonna do the 5/12 upset today....they are blasting  Marquette

Archived