Men vs. New Mexico State - game thread

WarTiger

We certainly played losing basketball in the final minutes. I would not have felt good about playing 5 minutes of OT against these guys, especially with J Harper fouled out. 

I am sooooo relieved 

• Replies 576
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Eagle-1 said:

Not arguing with you friend. I get frustrated because we don't work the ball inside enough. Maybe Wiley doesn't get it inside enough to prove to be a consistent scorer. I did however see him miss a two footer in this game that didn't even draw iron.

Every big man on EARTH you will see them miss very close shots if you study them hard enough. I've seen Jordan, Kobe and LeBron miss dunks.....he shoots damn near 60% though and if you see him with a mismatch you should get him the ball if for nothing else to be on the right side of fouls at the end of the game

Just now, cole256 said:

Every big man on EARTH you will see them miss very close shots if you study them hard enough. I've seen Jordan, Kobe and LeBron miss dunks.....he shoots damn near 60% though and if you see him with a mismatch you should get him the ball if for nothing else to be on the right side of fouls at the end of the game

Totally agreed

1 minute ago, Eagle-1 said:

Oh, I think he should have been utilized much more myself. No argument there.

If Kansas advances we certainly should see more of him against Lawson. I just don't think Kansas can match us shooting. But if our guards play like they did at the end of the game today then...yeah we're in trouble. But Kansas relies so much on Lawson down low. Gaurd- Dotson is really good but they have not shot well all season. Still talented but to lose shooting like Vick is big. 

Call me crazy but I'm glad we didn't blow NMSU out because I feel like teams can get overconfident and that affects them negatively. Winning a close game after being up 12+ with about 5 minutes to play, now they know that they can't just slack off and need to bring that fire, passion, and heart EVERY minute they're on the court. This game will go along way in making them remember that. Never give up on a play because you never know when another team will get hot. 

Bruce is going to have a tricky 48 hours here. They looked so fragile and defeated coming off the court just now. It looked like 2 teams lost that game the way we reacted. Bruce needs to absolutely lay in to them and just go full scorched earth but our guys are extremely fragile right now mentally. It is a balancing act.  He REALLY REALLY needs to work on late game situations OVER AND OVER again but with only 48 hours we also have to scout and prep for kansas or northeastern. We have so much work to do in such a short period of time. This is not just on the players either. That was some bad bad bad situational coaching as well in those situations. The former coaches and players went in depth about it after the game. 1 mistake? ok that is on the players. 2 mistakes? that is not just on the players. Last week vs florida we should of fouled them before they got past half court. We did not. Today Harper fouled with 14 seconds left which is way way way to much time to foul when up 3. AND HE FOULED OUT. Not just the players but Bruce as well has to be better late game. GET THE BAD FREE THROW SHOOTERS OUT OF THERE PLEASE. AND FOR THE LOVE OF GOD IF YOU ARE A BAD FREE THROW SHOOTER PASS THE BALL!!! Multiple times Horace should of passed to a better FT shooter. Also the trap on Harper where he slipped and fell and they got the ball back was a result of a bad free throw shooter on the floor so they were not even worried about guarding him so that caused that trap of Jared and the turnover.

We have not even began to talk about the alarmingly horrific defense down the stretch. They got copious amounts of wide open contested looks down the stretch. WE ARE FORTUNATE the dude passed up a wide open layup that would of tied it. WHAT WERE WE DOING THERE?!?! NOT TO MENTION the shot to end the game was about as wide open as you can get. HOW DOES THAT HAPPEN?!?! We are so lucky someone opened a door or window and the breeze made him air ball it. I legit thought it was going in. I have never experienced a game quite like this where a win felt so much like a loss. That was as close to the jaws of defeat as you can get without actually losing. War Damn. A win is a win is a win BUT DANG MAN we have so much to work on. When the game slows down we just come un glued. This reminded me of the AU Miss St game we almost gave away earlier this month at home. It is not just a 1 time thing. We have issues in these situations. 

1 minute ago, cole256 said:

As a matter of fact, if he actually got the ball down low more often he might improve as a scorer. I stand by my first statement that whether it's Bruce, or his teammates I just don't see them having confidence in his game.

Just now, Eagle-1 said:

As a matter of fact, if he actually got the ball down low more often he might improve as a scorer. I stand by my first statement that whether it's Bruce, or his teammates I just don't see them having confidence in his game.

Well they shouldn't have confidence in anybody on the team when they look around

4 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Bruce is going to have a tricky 48 hours here. They looked so fragile and defeated coming off the court just now. It looked like 2 teams lost that game the way we reacted. Bruce needs to absolutely lay in to them and just go full scorched earth but our guys are extremely fragile right now mentally. It is a balancing act.  He REALLY REALLY needs to work on late game situations OVER AND OVER again but with only 48 hours we also have to scout and prep for kansas or northeastern. We have so much work to do in such a short period of time. This is not just on the players either. That was some bad bad bad situational coaching as well in those situations. The former coaches and players went in depth about it after the game. 1 mistake? ok that is on the players. 2 mistakes? that is not just on the players. Last week vs florida we should of fouled them before they got past half court. We did not. Today Harper fouled with 14 seconds left which is way way way to much time to foul when up 3. AND HE FOULED OUT. Not just the players but Bruce as well has to be better late game. GET THE BAD FREE THROW SHOOTERS OUT OF THERE PLEASE. AND FOR THE LOVE OF GOD IF YOU ARE A BAD FREE THROW SHOOTER PASS THE BALL!!! Multiple times Horace should of passed to a better FT shooter. Also the trap on Harper where he slipped and fell and they got the ball back was a result of a bad free throw shooter on the floor so they were not even worried about guarding him so that caused that trap of Jared and the turnover.

We have not even began to talk about the alarmingly horrific defense down the stretch. They got copious amounts of wide open contested looks down the stretch. WE ARE FORTUNATE the dude passed up a wide open layup that would of tied it. WHAT WERE WE DOING THERE?!?! NOT TO MENTION the shot to end the game was about as wide open as you can get. HOW DOES THAT HAPPEN?!?! We are so lucky someone opened a door or window and the breeze made him air ball it. I legit thought it was going in. I have never experienced a game quite like this where a win felt so much like a loss. That was as close to the jaws of defeat as you can get without actually losing. War Damn. A win is a win is a win BUT DANG MAN we have so much to work on. When the game slows down we just come un glued. This reminded me of the AU Miss St game we almost gave away earlier this month at home. It is not just a 1 time thing. We have issues in these situations. 

I doubt Bruce will have to say anything. The way the game ended will be enough motivation for the next game. If it was me...i'd want to play another game tonight because i'd be so mad and disappointed in how i played. This will fuel us for game 2.

Left when we were up 13 for a church Finance meeting.....told people that that AU was up by 13 and if we didn't go on to win the game, I would not have wanted to be there watching the game anyway.    Got back a few minutes ago to read 9 pages of posts and for the first time in quite a while I was glad to be talking church finances instead of watching AU play basketball.     My old double by-pass probably could not have taken the strain. …..

I'd like to think that a game like this would be a wake-up call but last year still comes to mind....not sure how a coach cures "bad decision making" in 48 hours. 

This always confused me. Didn't Barkley lose his 1 and only game in the Ncaa Tourney to richmond? Was the field not 64 deep then?

1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

This always confused me. Didn't Barkley lose his 1 and only game in the Ncaa Tourney to richmond? Was the field not 64 deep then?

Went to 64 in '85, I think. 

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Went to 64 in '85, I think. 

Thanks fam. You are the Schwab of Auburn fans!!!!

6 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

I doubt Bruce will have to say anything. The way the game ended will be enough motivation for the next game. If it was me...i'd want to play another game tonight because i'd be so mad and disappointed in how i played. This will fuel us for game 2.

The way they looked coming off the floor scared me. They look dejected and defeated. I did not like it. Either way if it is Kansas we got to play much much better than we did today. shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii 

Things I noticed Wiley and Spencer both had their man sealed in close and ball not passed to them multiple times. DP played pretty decent inside defense but when he was covering a quick player outside he got beat bad.  He stands up to straight on Defense when playing outside and his feet are to close together so it is hard for him to react.  The ball movement that we saw against Tenn wasn't there and the defense inside that we saw against Tenn wasn't there either.  

I do believe the altitude and number of games played in last 8 days had something to do with it. Remember NMST plays at altitude all the time so they are acclimated to altitude. I think the team was both physically tired and mentally tired. 

I would like the Kansas game to be  a fast paced nail biter maybe even an OT or two wear the winners legs out. 

10 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Damn, I just watched Pearl talking to the players in the locker room. The way they were acting it was like they had just lost. Hopefully Pearl can motivate and get their heads straight before Saturday ... 

I think CBP goes full on positive with the team.  They are tired and dejected but playing Saturday.  I bet he focuses on recovery, film work and light hearted ness.  He has an infectious personality and this team plays better when they are confident and positive.  

Hope their bodies recover in the next 48.  Hoping for a long OT game for kansas

2 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

The way they looked coming off the floor scared me. They look dejected and defeated. I did not like it. Either way if it is Kansas we got to play much much better than we did today. shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii 

Bruce says they're exhausted.

8 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Things I noticed Wiley and Spencer both had their man sealed in close and ball not passed to them multiple times. DP played pretty decent inside defense but when he was covering a quick player outside he got beat bad.  He stands up to straight on Defense when playing outside and his feet are to close together so it is hard for him to react.  The ball movement that we saw against Tenn wasn't there and the defense inside that we saw against Tenn wasn't there either.  

I do believe the altitude and number of games played in last 8 days had something to do with it. Remember NMST plays at altitude all the time so they are acclimated to altitude. I think the team was both physically tired and mentally tired. 

I would like the Kansas game to be  a fast paced nail biter maybe even an OT or two wear the winners legs out. 

I would not dump it in to Spencer unless it was a guaranteed 2 points. He is just not a good scorer and he has no touch around the rim.  He has no moves either. He is  awkward when he tries to score. It is a wasted possession to me. But Wiley? Yes if he has his man sealed I would def dump it in to him. That is where he shined as a freshmen.

Archived