Softball vs. Mississippi State game 2

Taylon laid out on a ground ball, got to her knees and attempted to get runner out at first but could not get any velocity on the ball and runner safe. Moments later the infield umpire called for the Auburn trainer to look at Taylon and Coach Dean also came on the field. She looked a little shaken but was not holding any ribs or giving an indication that any extremities were bothering her. Coach Dean took little time and took her off the field and brought on Dowell. Interestingly, it was immediately after that when Tannon had her errors you noted above then turned the double play. Something I wanted to mention about yesterday.....during the pregame introductions, Aspyn Godwin had on catchers gear. I presume she was helping warm up the pictures so it sounds like the knee is OK. I know she has been running well but to squat like that means something. Got to be a tough job. About four years ago I went on the field after a game and talked to Courtney Shea and asked why anyone would want to be a catcher as it seemed like so much work. She said when she was first started playing ball she was in the outfield but like a lot of young kids could not always pay attention to the game so her dad moved her to catcher where she would have to pay attention. Thought that was funny.

15 hours ago, slot canyon said:

why anyone would want to be a catcher as it seemed like so much work. She said when she was first started playing ball she was in the outfield but like a lot of young kids could not always pay attention to the game so her dad moved her to catcher where she would have to pay attention. Thought that was funny.

Good story about Shea.      Reminded me that I started my brief 4 year career from Pony League into HS as a catcher because no one else wanted to do it...and  I thought it was a good way for short fat kid to get into every game.  Worked well for me....

Good catchers aren't made, they are, to an extent, born. A kid that likes the mud and dust and pain and heat will make you a good catcher!

On 3/25/2019 at 8:59 AM, Mikey said:

Good catchers aren't made, they are, to an extent, born. A kid that likes the mud and dust and pain and heat will make you a good catcher!

I was a catcher, shortstop and pitcher.  I liked the grittyness of it and I wanted to be sure n the middle of the action and excitement.  Made it more fun for me.

3 hours ago, EagleEye67 said:

Catcher will always handle the ball more than any other fielder (pitcher excluded)...sure beats picking daisies in the outfield!

Actually probably more than any single pitcher because you don't always replace catcher when you replace pitcher.

Archived