Stephen Davis Highlights

StatTiger

11 hours ago, autigeremt said:

He ran over me in a preseason jamboree one year in high school. I got him back later but here’s the thing.....he was a frosh and I was a senior. 

I would have made you run bleachers and extra wind sprints to wash the shame🤣

3 hours ago, kevon67 said:

I would have made you run bleachers and extra wind sprints to wash the shame🤣

Funny you should say that. My position coach was also my wrestling coach so yeah.....it happened. Bleachers and suicides 

On 5/22/2019 at 12:50 PM, alexava said:

I was not a huge fan back then. Can’t argue the numbers or the nfl success. He had excellent vision as the highlight shows. If he had a crease he could see it and maneuver through it. But on 3 rd and 2 when you need a bulldozer or a quit smash into the hole his style looked defeated.  To those who didn’t watch him live(seeing all his carries) this video is probably on par with Bo Jackson. 

I'm glad to see this as I didn't think much of him either. 

I sometimes felt he ran the ball like he was looking for a place to fall down.

1995 was a major let down year.  We had enough talent and experience to be in the NC discussion.  Tot blew it by severely under-utilizing the team strengths and game planning to feature our weaknesses.   I have always argued that 95 was the beginning of the end for Tot.   

I was at Auburn for most of his career there.  It was a shame he was there during the Bowden transition into having almost zero running game by the end of his tenure. I can't imagine his numbers had he played for Dye, Tubbs or Malzahn.  Heck of a player.

• 2 months later...
On 5/22/2019 at 9:07 PM, autigeremt said:

He ran over me in a preseason jamboree one year in high school. I got him back later but here’s the thing.....he was a frosh and I was a senior. 

We should start a thread on "famous people that ran over me in HS".  I've got several.  

On 5/22/2019 at 11:52 PM, Tigger1985 said:

Bozo Bowden cost us the game against Penn State. We were running all over them but he wanted to throw the ball in the rain.

I was there, so hurting that game!

The main reason we underachieved in 95 was the defense, not the offense. If I remember correctly, long time d coordinator Wayne Hall got fired over that season. 

18 minutes ago, twilli13 said:

The main reason we underachieved in 95 was the defense, not the offense. If I remember correctly, long time d coordinator Wayne Hall got fired over that season. 

The offense disappeared in two games (LSU *6 pts* & Penn St. *14 pts*) but the O was scoring plenty the rest of the season, including beating both thUga & bammer.  However, their other 2 losses were to #3 UF after scoring 38 pts and to Arky after scoring 28 pts, so the D certainly had little excuse in those losses.

The problem with Bowden's tenure was the longer he stayed, the slimier the recruiting got and he did eventually (almost) completely abandon the running game.

15 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Froze my ass off at that game

15 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Froze my ass off at that game

Same here! I was freezing, my son was crying.

1 hour ago, AU-24 said:

Same here! I was freezing, my son was crying.

pets heads were falling off.

20 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

The offense disappeared in two games (LSU *6 pts* & Penn St. *14 pts*) but the O was scoring plenty the rest of the season, including beating both thUga & bammer.  However, their other 2 losses were to #3 UF after scoring 38 pts and to Arky after scoring 28 pts, so the D certainly had little excuse in those losses.

The problem with Bowden's tenure was the longer he stayed, the slimier the recruiting got and he did eventually (almost) completely abandon the running game.

Absolutely. Bowden revered tiny running backs for some reason. Instead of getting hosses like Stephen Davis and James Bostic, Bowden recruited the likes of Markeith Cooper, Rusty William's, and Demontrey Carter. Good athletes and players, but not power backs needed to play physical SEC football imo. 

23 minutes ago, twilli13 said:

Absolutely. Bowden revered tiny running backs for some reason. Instead of getting hosses like Stephen Davis and James Bostic, Bowden recruited the likes of Markeith Cooper, Rusty William's, and Demontrey Carter. Good athletes and players, but not power backs needed to play physical SEC football imo. 

I agree 100%

Looking at the leading rushers & their stats from 1996-1999 is.....just....sad....

Archived