Would you feel different if we had beaten FSU in 2013?

gr82b4au

3 hours ago, aucanucktiger said:

Chizik showed how quickly good will from a NC can disolve around here so IMO had Gus won it in '13 he'd still be on hot water w/ many. '18 UT & last 2 LSU games notwithstanding i dont have specific issues w/ him mainly b/c of our unforgiving schedules and personally dont think but 3 or 4 HCs could have done better w/ those schedules.

I agree with all of this. 

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 6/14/2019 at 7:24 AM, bigbird said:

If you're in a position to win and can't get out of your own way and give the game away, it's a choke job. No matter the score.  

117 yards, 5QBs, 17 straight dives, almost zero passes after the starting QB goes down...those are all examples of us choking the game away. Period.

Word gymnastics and semantics don't bolster an argument.

Right. It sounds like we were, in absolutely no way, a position to win. What is miraculous is Clemson let us hang around. If anyone was choking it was them.

On 6/14/2019 at 7:55 AM, bigbird said:

Were we leading?

About that comprehension.

A lead in any organized sport other than soccer means very little. That is all. 

1 hour ago, AUght2win said:

We once won 3-2.

I guess job performance was there....

1 hour ago, aujeff11 said:

We once won 3-2.

I guess job performance was there....

With the no huddle and high powered offenses, leads in football mean less now than they ever have. TAMU blew a 34 point third quarter lead a couple years ago. I honestly don't understand the people on here arguing that a lead at any point in a football game means you have it in the bag. 

On 6/12/2019 at 12:38 PM, dyehardfanAU said:

The people acting like Ed Orgeron is not a very good head coach do nothing but degrade any further arguments they make.

imo Orgeron is  LSU  's version of Houston Nutt  he can beat the teams that his squads are even with. but put him up against   someone that has better talent and he'll end up up being blown out

6 minutes ago, KnightTiger said:

imo Orgeron is  LSU  's version of Houston Nutt  he can beat the teams that his squads are even with. but put him up against   someone that has better talent and he'll end up up being blown out

So far he has consistently improved his record from 6 wins (out of 8 games he was HC) to 9 to 10.  We shall see but it's my opinion that he's a better coach than most AU fans will give him credit for.

as for the original question no I don't think  the general feeling towards Gus would've been any different do I want Auburn to win championships? well duh . but I also want us to be competitive with our sec rivals and the rest of the teams on the schedule year in and year out not just once in a blue moon when we have a "Cam Newton" type athlete on our roster! the blowout losses are out what bother me the most its what made me say Chizik had to go!

blowout losses under Chiziks tenture

10/10/09 Auburn 21 - Arkansas 44

10/24/09 Auburn 10 - LSU 31

09/17/11 Auburn 24 - Clemson 38

10/08/11 Auburn 14 - Arkansas 38

10/22/11 Auburn 10 - LSU 45

11/12/11 Auburn 7 - Georgia 45

11/26/11 Auburn 14 - Alabama 42

09/08/12 Auburn 10 - Mississippi State 28

10//06/12 Auburn 7 - Arkansas 24

10/13/12 Auburn 20 - Ole Miss 41

10/27/12 Auburn 21 - Texas A&M 63

11/10/12 Auburn 0 - Georgia 38

11/24/12 Auburn 0 - Alabama 49

that's a total of 13 blowout losses under Chizik (14) if you count the Clemson game from 2012

blowout losses under Gus

09/21/13 Auburn 21 - LSU 35

10/11/14 Auburn 23 - Mississippi State 38

11/15/14 Auburn 7 - Georgia 34

09/19/15 Auburn 21 - LSU 45

10/31/15 Auburn 19 - Ole Miss 27

11/28/15 Auburn 13 - Alabama 28

09/17/16 Auburn 16 - Texas A&M 29

11/26/16 Auburn 12 - Alabama 30

01/02/17 Auburn 19 - Oklahoma 35

12/02/17 Auburn 7 - Georgia 28

10/06/18 Auburn 9 - Mississippi State 23

11/10/18 Auburn 10 - Georgia 27

11/24/18 Auburn 21 - Alabama 52

currently a total of 13 blowout losses under Gus!

some of these  (in both tenures) I guess you could say were close until late in the game. but in all of them we were flat out whipped and it was clear we didn't have any real desire to be out on the field the blowout losses were in-excusable under Chizik  and they are in-excusable under Gus

54 minutes ago, KnightTiger said:

as for the original question no I don't think  the general feeling towards Gus would've been any different do I want Auburn to win championships? well duh . but I also want us to be competitive with our sec rivals and the rest of the teams on the schedule year in and year out not just once in a blue moon when we have a "Cam Newton" type athlete on our roster! the blowout losses are out what bother me the most its what made me say Chizik had to go!

blowout losses under Chiziks tenture

10/10/09 Auburn 21 - Arkansas 44

10/24/09 Auburn 10 - LSU 31

09/17/11 Auburn 24 - Clemson 38

10/08/11 Auburn 14 - Arkansas 38

10/22/11 Auburn 10 - LSU 45

11/12/11 Auburn 7 - Georgia 45

11/26/11 Auburn 14 - Alabama 42

09/08/12 Auburn 10 - Mississippi State 28

10//06/12 Auburn 7 - Arkansas 24

10/13/12 Auburn 20 - Ole Miss 41

10/27/12 Auburn 21 - Texas A&M 63

11/10/12 Auburn 0 - Georgia 38

11/24/12 Auburn 0 - Alabama 49

that's a total of 13 blowout losses under Chizik (14) if you count the Clemson game from 2012

blowout losses under Gus

09/21/13 Auburn 21 - LSU 35

11/15/14 Auburn 7 - Georgia 34

09/19/15 Auburn 21 - LSU 45

09/17/16 Auburn 16 - Texas A&M 29

11/26/16 Auburn 12 - Alabama 30

01/02/17 Auburn 19 - Oklahoma 35

12/02/17 Auburn 7 - Georgia 28

11/10/18 Auburn 10 - Georgia 27

11/24/18 Auburn 21 - Alabama 52

currently a total of 13 blowout losses under Gus!

some of these  (in both tenures) I guess you could say were close until late in the game. but in all of them we were flat out whipped and it was clear we didn't have any real desire to be out on the field the blowout losses were in-excusable under Chizik  and they are in-excusable under Gus

Just a disclosure there are two different lengths of time as well.  Chizik’s tenure was 4 years and Gus’ tenure to date is 6 years (not including this upcoming season).

5 hours ago, abw0004 said:

Just a disclosure there are two different lengths of time as well.  Chizik’s tenure was 4 years and Gus’ tenure to date is 6 years (not including this upcoming season).

yeah but bottom line the blowout losses are just ridiculous especially considering our performance in the majority of the games listed

Gus hasn't won a national championship and he never will. He blew his only opportunity in 6 years of winning a championship when he blew a 21-3 lead over Florida State in 2013.

6 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

Gus hasn't won a national championship and he never will. He blew his only opportunity in 6 years of winning a championship when he blew a 21-3 lead over Florida State in 2013.

You have absolutely NO WAY of knowing that other than your constant hatred for all this Malzahn and Auburn.  still clueless

What would make me feel different about Gus is if he got off of the performance roller coaster, and put together 3 consecutive 10 win seasons. Our program has been great at times, it just cant sustain high levels of success. 

52 minutes ago, WarTiger said:

You have absolutely NO WAY of knowing that other than your constant hatred for all this Malzahn and Auburn.  still clueless

Nor do you know he will.  Extrapolation says he won't though and that he's an 8-5 coach in all likelihood.

30 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

What would make me feel different about Gus is if he got off of the performance roller coaster, and put together 3 consecutive 10 win seasons. Our program has been great at times, it just cant sustain high levels of success. 

If he puts up 3 10 win regular seasons I'll buy his Waffle House for life.

5 hours ago, KnightTiger said:

Well Houston Nutt found ways to beat both LSU and Auburn multiple times. 

5 hours ago, KnightTiger said:

blowout losses under Gus

You consider these blowouts??? What barometer are you people using? 

40 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

You consider these blowouts??? What barometer are you people using? 

Several of those games involved the opponent putting the game away extremely late. Those weren’t blowouts.

On 6/15/2019 at 3:23 PM, AUght2win said:

Especially when it involves Auburn on the big stage.

Would you feel different if we had beaten FSU in 2013?

i cannot believe someone could ask that with a straight face. 

2013 has no bearing on 17 runs up the gut after a 1st down and giving up a 20 point lead vs LSU

2013 has no bearing on the offense disappearing for games at a time. 

2013 has no bearing on playing 4 people at QB in 1 game

2013 has no bearing on tv announcers, opposing coaches, and anyone watching the game knowing what play is coming as soon as we line up. 

2013 has no bearing on not being able to count to 5, botching the redshirt, and causing the transfer of one of the jewels of the class.

Some may call this a troll post. Its been said about me pointing out these FACTS before. But i am astounded i had to point them out again to answer a title of a thread. 

On 6/15/2019 at 3:23 PM, AUght2win said:

It means EVERYTHING. When that clock hits 0:00 he who has the lead wins. 

17 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

It means EVERYTHING. When that clock hits 0:00 he who has the lead wins. 

Yeah, you're not speaking within the context of the conversation. We are discussing the weird belief that some on here have that ANY lead at ANY point in an athletic contest means you have a win secured. To lose that lead is "choking". Ludicrous.

Teams jump out with first drive TD's or an early 5-6 point lead in basketball all the time, then go onto get trounced. Because the other team was better, not because they "choked".

9 hours ago, AUght2win said:

We are discussing the weird belief that some on here have that ANY lead at ANY point in an athletic contest means you have a win secured. To lose that lead is "choking". Ludicrous.

Teams jump out with first drive TD's or an early 5-6 point lead in basketball all the time, then go onto get trounced. Because the other team was better, not because they "choked".

Yeah i see what you are saying but i dont agree.

Giving up a 2nd half lead of 20 points isn't the same thing as being down an opening kickoff TD. Going with a comment you made, A&M giving up a 30+ point lead isn't the  same thing as being down an early 5-6 point lead in a basketball game. 

You capitalized ANY lead at ANY point. Well obviously returning an opening kickoff giving you a 7-0 lead absolutely doesnt assure a win, and i have a hard time believing anyone would make such a comment. Muchless to call that choking. Thats just an immensely idiotic thing to say or suggest.

But at the same time, saying that giving up what was essentially a 20 point lead after halftime is the very definition of choking, as is the A&M game you mentioned. Another fine example is our game vs A&M last year. They absolutely choked that game away. 

So no. While giving up ANY lead at ANY point in the game certainly isnt choking. But to pretend we didnt choke away 2017 LSU is well... Wrong to say it nicely.

6 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Yeah i see what you are saying but i dont agree.

Giving up a 2nd half lead of 20 points isn't the same thing as being down an opening kickoff TD. Going with a comment you made, A&M giving up a 30+ point lead isn't the  same thing as being down an early 5-6 point lead in a basketball game. 

You capitalized ANY lead at ANY point. Well obviously returning an opening kickoff giving you a 7-0 lead absolutely doesnt assure a win, and i have a hard time believing anyone would make such a comment. Muchless to call that choking. Thats just an immensely idiotic thing to say or suggest.

But at the same time, saying that giving up what was essentially a 20 point lead after halftime is the very definition of choking, as is the A&M game you mentioned. Another fine example is our game vs A&M last year. They absolutely choked that game away. 

So no. While giving up ANY lead at ANY point in the game certainly isnt choking. But to pretend we didnt choke away 2017 LSU is well... Wrong to say it nicely.

But bro, someone DID say that. 91 said that. His examples of Gus choking were 4, 6, and 9 point first half leads. I was addressing that. I agree that a lead late in a game is huge. Who wouldn't? But I was addressing 91's resume of Gus choking.

30 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

But bro, someone DID say that. 91 said that. His examples of Gus choking were 4, 6, and 9 point first half leads. I was addressing that. I agree that a lead late in a game is huge. Who wouldn't? But I was addressing 91's resume of Gus choking.

I've already clarified I was mainly focusing on blowing double digit leads 10+ points. I only included other games to show that Gus doesn't make adjustments in the 2nd half of games.

Archived