Would you feel different if we had beaten FSU in 2013?

gr82b4au

13 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Then you need to get your ass on a putting green :poke:

Maybe even think about learning some new putting strategies. 

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

In sports, a choke is the failure of a sportsperson or team in a game in a situation where maintaining their performance is highly important. This can occur in a game or tournament that they are strongly favored to win, or in an instance where they have a large lead that they squander in the late stages of the event.

....This actually crosses out Tennessee and Georgia. 

The bold puts Tennessee right back in.

1 minute ago, I_M4_AU said:

In sports, a choke is the failure of a sportsperson or team in a game in a situation where maintaining their performance is highly important

When did this happen against Tennessee? It’s a multi prong test never met. 

-Never maintained a lead because we never had one.

-Wasn’t maintaining our strength or momentum either as Moo State beat us 23-9 the weekend before.

1 minute ago, aujeff11 said:

When did this happen against Tennessee? It’s a multi prong test never met. 

-Never maintained a lead because we never had one.

-Wasn’t maintaining our strength or momentum either as Moo State beat us 23-9 the weekend before.

You didn't see his bolded part?

We strongly favored to win the game. And we lost. That's the choke job.

12 minutes ago, Tiger said:

You didn't see his bolded part?

We strongly favored to win the game. And we lost. That's the choke job.

Yes I saw it. First part which was the definition still wasn’t met. 

When “it can happen” was met. 

10 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Are related to Rednilla?

12 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Sooo you're saying he's right because it, in fact, did meet the criteria? The example starting with "this can occur" pretty much locks it in.

11 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Sooo you're saying he's right because it, in fact, did meet the criteria? The example starting with "this can occur" pretty much locks it in.

So Bama choked in 2017 or did we just whip em?

7 hours ago, AUght2win said:

Good grief, dude. Blowing lead isn't choking. You think leading at some point in the first half of a football game entitles you to a win? Do you watch the sport, particularly the modern big-offense era? I mean, you actually listed 4 point, 7 point, 9 point leads!!!

Choking is when you have the game won and you fall apart. It's blowing a 17+ point (three possession) lead and losing. Gus has done that twice in 6 years. 

The other sense that choking can be used is when you just flat out lose to an inferior opponent. Tubs was the master at this. Losing to Arkansas in 06, USF, UGA in 06, Miss State. Just games we had no business losing. To Gus' credit he usually wins the ones he is supposed to. Tennessee is the only game he clearly had no business losing. 

I specifically summed up my post with my last sentence. Blowing a double digit lead is mainly what I was focusing on. But the fact that in several games throughout Gus's tenure that we've had double digit leads and either lost or had to hang on and win suggests there's a coaching issue/adjustment issue. You shouldn't go from controlling a game through the first 2 1/2 quarters and suddenly in the 3rd quarter your offense can't find a way to score or move the ball and the other teams starts coming back and taking away the momentum.

Many fans have pointed out before about Gus's 3rd quarter lull or lack of offense in 3rd quarters of games. It's been a consistent glaring problem. When you have a lead at halftime and you don't do anything in the 3rd quarter, you're letting your opponent stay in the game and they start to believe they can come back and win.

13 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

So Bama choked in 2017 or did we just whip em?

Bama was favored by 4 points to the #6 team in the country and lost on the road. That is not choking, and I don't think anyone is asserting that.

We lost to unranked UT at home when we were favored by 2+ TDs.

A 4 point spread is not "strongly favored" However, 2+ TDs would fall under that umbrella. Bama was never in position to win the game against us in 2017 so they had nothing to choke away. The only way choking can occur between 2 teams that closely ranked without a large point spread is if one of them blows a sizeable lead. The alternative alternative type of choking is if an overmatched team beats a team that is a heavy favorite. The heavy favorite would then have choked and lost the game.

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I don't know if Gus merely has the yips, or if he's been Munsoned. 

Gus on opening day...

giphy.gif

4 hours ago, Win4AU said:

FSU had come back on several teams that year so that wasn’t as surprising as the LSU game.  

2017 LSU, 2014 TaMu May be two of the hardest games I’ve watched under Gus.  

Miracle in Jordan Hare should have never required a miracle so it was almost a choke job.  That was not a good UGA team in 2013.

I don't know if you call bad coaching a choke or not.  But in that FSU game FSU kept rolling the safeties down thus opening up the middle for our passing game.  We built a 21-10 lead at half due to the passing game.  The opening of the 2nd half FSU continued to roll down the safeties but for some inexplicable reason we went back to running the ball allowing FSU to get back in the game.

In the 2013 game, Auburn moved the ball at will but in the 2nd half Georgia started flipping a linebacker or a safety down.  Our brilliant Gus never changed his playcalling in the 2nd half to take advantage of what georgia was doing.  Passes to the open zones vacated by the linebacker or safety would have backed georgia out but gus never tried that.

If anyone wants to attribute poor play calling as choking or almost choking is okay but remember it was our HC that choked not the team.

3 minutes ago, Carnell said:

If anyone wants to attribute poor play calling as choking or almost choking is okay but remember it was our HC that choked not the team.

I do believe that is the thrust of the response to the OP. 

Good breakdown of those 2013 games. :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, aujeff11 said:

So, for my own insanity, you are saying that “maintains performance” starts and stops with every single game? So if a number one team was to lose to an unranked team and never lead in the game, that’s not a choke job?

18 minutes ago, Carnell said:

I don't know if you call bad coaching a choke or not.  But in that FSU game FSU kept rolling the safeties down thus opening up the middle for our passing game.  We built a 21-10 lead at half due to the passing game.  The opening of the 2nd half FSU continued to roll down the safeties but for some inexplicable reason we went back to running the ball allowing FSU to get back in the game.

In the 2013 game, Auburn moved the ball at will but in the 2nd half Georgia started flipping a linebacker or a safety down.  Our brilliant Gus never changed his playcalling in the 2nd half to take advantage of what georgia was doing.  Passes to the open zones vacated by the linebacker or safety would have backed georgia out but gus never tried that.

Coaches absolutely can and do choke games away. It's not just a player attribute. Bob Stoops was said to choke in all the big games.

6 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

So, for my own insanity, you are saying that “maintains performance” starts and stops with every single game? So if a number one team was to lose to an unranked team and never lead in the game, that’s not a choke job?

tenor.gif

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

Coaches absolutely can and do choke games away. It's not just a player attribute. Bob Stoops was said to choke in all the big games.

We can look at either of the last 2 Clemson games, but 2017 is probably the better example once we all stop laughing at the clown show that was 2016. National spotlight. Top shelf defense. Stud QB. Chance to enter the playoff picture in week 1. And our offense doesn't even come out of the damn locker room. Gus lost that game before it started. The lights were too bright and he choked

16 minutes ago, bigbird said:

And now he is a favorite for next HC in the thread world...

2 hours ago, Tiger said:

Bama was never in position to win the game against us in 2017 so they had nothing to choke away.

We were never in position to win the game against Georgia but that was choking? 

54 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

No I didn’t say that all. I even brought up that you couldn’t say we failed to maintain our performance against Tennessee because

a) we we got clobbered by Mississippi State just the weekend before. If anything was maintained it was the fact that we sucked. 

b) we never led in the game. 

So how on earth did you not see that part?? 

Archived