Would you feel different if we had beaten FSU in 2013?

gr82b4au

3 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

Just give it a rest. It's over now. Maybe I got my signals crossed. How about we try to agree to disagree the way DAG said you two do all the time, hmm?

Dude, don't try that condescending high road crap with me. 

I'll take a cue from Bird here. Apologies to all for the derailment.

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, AU64 said:

Yep...nobody ever got to a championship game based on some lucky plays or fortunate officiating decisions before AU did.....and of course FSU was not lucky to win that game ….just because two experienced DBs for AU busted a routine defensive play on a short pass that would pretty much have ended the game.....and thus allowed the 'noles to go the length of the field in half a minute. 

Agree with you here. We had one play that was lucky. But even that play was only necessary because of some bad luck on the other end when Aaron Murray did not actually scored that touchdown.

We also had a lot of bad luck in the BCS title game.

Gus did a fantastic job that season.

Edit: Also, the last play at the end of the title game should have worked. One guy missed a block. He was in position to make it and looked at the guy and just did not block him. Not Gus's fault.

6 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

I'm putting everyone in time out.........................go to your rooms now.

tenor.gif

56 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Dude, don't try that condescending high road crap with me. 

I'll take a cue from Bird here. Apologies to all for the derailment.

Is this how we should talk to all the mods now?

Come hither Golf you shriveled up nutsack.

That game basically set the trend we've seen Gus fall victim to repeatedly: choking against big teams. Having your team come out with fire in the first half and not being able to sustain it. I guess if our marquee example of that trend wasnt the biggest game possible, he might have more leeway than he does.

6 hours ago, Rednilla said:

And if I'd been trying to insult you, I would have called you gay lovers.

Why would that be an insult?

5 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

That game basically set the trend we've seen Gus fall victim to repeatedly: choking against big teams. Having your team come out with fire in the first half and not being able to sustain it. I guess if our marquee example of that trend wasnt the biggest game possible, he might have more leeway than he does.

I don't really think Gus has choked against big teams. I don't really remember us blowing big leads either tbh, don't know where you're getting that from.

I think the trend that it did set was showing that Gus won't adjust. Or maybe even can't. He has that Coach Boone (Remember the Titans) mentality. "“I run 6 plays, split veer. like novocaine. Just give it time, it always works.” 

Gus doesn't play chess. He doesn't make countermoves. He stays the course no matter what and a good football coach can't do that. Against FSU we made no adjustments. Clemson in 16 and 17, no adjustments. Alabama in 14, no adjustments. Every UGA loss, no adjustment. The Peach Bowl fiasco, no adjustment. FSU he made no adjustments.

On 6/12/2019 at 3:29 PM, dyehardfanAU said:

Dude's got the intestinal fortitude of a slug if he's still shook over a game from nearly 7 years ago.

Makes sense, though. There's more to it. I remember a scene from Auburn Every Day or something (this might have even been during the 2013 season). Gus talking to the team about the game he remembers most. Out of all his college games, he said it was a state title game from his high school days Shiloh Christian. They lost, maybe even blowing a lead (can't remember). Said he was still haunted by it. I imagine these two title games may have scarred him.

11 hours ago, atl-tiger said:

No, that season was lucky as hell.  We owe 2013 to Nick Marshall. 

Only luck was the UGA tip and Ohio State losing. Everything else was earned. Tired of people (mostly bammers) not knowing what luck means.

1 hour ago, AUght2win said:

I don't really think Gus has choked against big teams. I don't really remember us blowing big leads either tbh, don't know where you're getting that from.

I think the trend that it did set was showing that Gus won't adjust. Or maybe even can't. He has that Coach Boone (Remember the Titans) mentality. "“I run 6 plays, split veer. like novocaine. Just give it time, it always works.” 

Gus doesn't play chess. He doesn't make countermoves. He stays the course no matter what and a good football coach can't do that. Against FSU we made no adjustments. Clemson in 16 and 17, no adjustments. Alabama in 14, no adjustments. Every UGA loss, no adjustment. The Peach Bowl fiasco, no adjustment. FSU he made no adjustments.

blew leads against UGA, UA, FSU, LSU, UGA, almost UGA, almost Louisville, Arkansas, I believe Wisconsin, LSU, UCF, off the top of my head 

1 hour ago, AUght2win said:

2013 Ole Miss: Auburn led 27-9 in the 3rd quarter. W  30-22
2013 UGA: Auburn led 37-17 in the 4th quarter. W  43-38
2013 FSU: Auburn led 21-3 in the 2nd quarter. L  34-31

2014 Bama: Auburn led 33-21 in the 3rd quarter. L 55-44

2015 Louisville: Auburn led 24-0 in the 3rd quarter. W 31-24
2015 Kentucky: Auburn led 23-10 at halftime. W 30-27
2015 UGA: Auburn led 10-3 at halftime. L 20-13

2016 UGA: Auburn led 7-0 at halftime. L 13-7

2017 LSU: Auburn led 20-0 in the 2nd quarter. L 27-23

2018 UCF: Auburn led  20-13 in the 3rd quarter. L 34-27
2018 Washington: Auburn led 15-6 in the 2nd quarter. Washington took the lead 16-15 in the 4th quarter. W 21-16
2018 LSU: Auburn led 21-10 in the 3rd quarter. L 22-21
2018 Tennessee: Auburn led 17-13 at halftime. L 30-24

Auburn has blown at least one double digit lead every year under Gus except 2016.

3 hours ago, Auburnfan91 said:

2018 Washington: Auburn led 15-6 in the 2nd quarter. Washington took the lead 16-15 in the 4th quarter. W 21-16

Auburn has blown at least one double digit lead every year under Gus except 2016.

Wow that some grade A  research. 

Good grief, dude. Blowing lead isn't choking. You think leading at some point in the first half of a football game entitles you to a win? Do you watch the sport, particularly the modern big-offense era? I mean, you actually listed 4 point, 7 point, 9 point leads!!!

Choking is when you have the game won and you fall apart. It's blowing a 17+ point (three possession) lead and losing. Gus has done that twice in 6 years. 

The other sense that choking can be used is when you just flat out lose to an inferior opponent. Tubs was the master at this. Losing to Arkansas in 06, USF, UGA in 06, Miss State. Just games we had no business losing. To Gus' credit he usually wins the ones he is supposed to. Tennessee is the only game he clearly had no business losing. 

How is a one score game at the half a choke job? 

How are games that we actually won a choke job??

3 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

How is a one score game at the half a choke job? 

How are games that we actually won a choke job??

I've seen a lot on this forum but 91's choke-job resume is something to truly behold.

FSU, LSU, LSU, and TENNESSEE are choke jobs. 

The rest we either won or outright got beat.

12 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

I've seen a lot on this forum but 91's choke-job resume is something to truly behold.

Hope he doesn’t watch basketball. Teams lose double digit leads all the time. Bryce made a late Virginia 10 point lead disappear like a rabbit and a hat. 

Its all about keeping momentum, and fighting against the opponent’s momentum. I guess no credit is given for weathering the storm though...

There are really two games I would consider a choke job.FSU 2013 and LSU 2017. Both games very winnable . But it happens. 

Many need to remember that it took a lot of great games to get the the 2013 championship.  So basing your opinion off of one game is unfair.  I say the same thing when UGA fans tell me us winning the 2013 UGA game was a fluke.  Well, no it wasn’t.  In order for the Hail Mary to win us the game, we had to have been in the game for one play to decide it.

As far as blown leads are concerned, that happens all of the time.  Look at basketball, where scores fluctuate 15 points all of the time.  Teams go on runs.  Yes Gus gets conservative after a big lead to drain the clock, but some of those are the right calls.  It was our defense in those games that blew the leads.  Remember we were not good defensively during that time.  It’s easy to forget that sometimes.  

Archived