Would you feel different if we had beaten FSU in 2013?

gr82b4au

2 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

Oh I knew what was coming when I started it. I have been on this site long enough to know how it works. I like the back and forth. 

In that case, apologies for my snark. Just want to make sure we all know that a lot of the negative criticism of Gus that so many get so tired of is a direct response to something else that was posted.

You seem to know that, so I suppose I am just saying that for any casual readers who might not have considered it, lol.

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Would I feel differently?!?! HELL YAH!!!! We would of had 2 nattys in my lifetime!!! Who the heck would not feel differently?!??! Would it change anything? No. I do not think so. We would just be the New York Giants of College football. They won 2 Super Bowls in 4 years and did absolutely nothing of note any other season. Same as us. We would of won 2 Nattys in 3 years and the other seasons be mediocre most likely. I do not think we become Clemson or anything like that.

Giants fans will LOVE Eli Manning... when he's not their quarterback anymore.

Just now, McLoofus said:

Giants fans will LOVE Eli Manning... when he's not their quarterback anymore.

YOU HAVE TO BE SOOOOOOOO TREMENDOUSLY BAAAAAAAAAAAD in your other seasons to butcher the goodwill that being the super bowl mvp of 2 super bowls brings you!!!!!! BUT ELI FOUND A WAY LOOFY!!!!!!! lol 

eli m.gif

eli.gif

Gus has lost 5 games in 3 plus 6 games in 2015 out of his 6 years as Auburn's head coach. It's time for Auburn's president, AD and the BOTs to come up with the money and show Gus to the door after 2019 season. As for the 2013 Championship game with fsu,, Auburn could have and should have beat them if Gus had not taken his foot off the gas pedal. Remember Auburn was up 21-3 before halftime.

1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

YOU HAVE TO BE SOOOOOOOO TREMENDOUSLY BAAAAAAAAAAAD in your other seasons to butcher the goodwill that being the super bowl mvp of 2 super bowls brings you!!!!!! BUT ELI FOUND A WAY LOOFY!!!!!!! lol 

eli m.gif

eli.gif

Just seeing his face, even when he's happy, makes me sad.

Just kidding. I think he does a lot of really awesome stuff away from the game. At least I think I saw that somewhere.

Just now, McLoofus said:

Just seeing his face, even when he's happy, makes me sad.

Just kidding. I think he does a lot of really awesome stuff away from the game. At least I think I saw that somewhere.

I LOVE ELI. BECAUSE I LOVE to make fun of eli. He is such a easy target and punching bag. And yah he seems to take it all in stride and have fun with it! 

40 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

Side note: The funny thing is he may be an excellent coach (although he was not good at OM) but with saban at uat, nobody will look at him that way. Nobody will look at any SEC coach that way while saban is at uat unless they win a national title.... 

if he was consistently winning 9-10 games a season he'd be looked at dramitcally different.  If he was .500 against LSU and UGA he'd be looked at in a much more positive light.  He's not doing any of those things. 

6 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

if he was consistently winning 9-10 games a season he'd be looked at dramitcally different.  If he was .500 against LSU and UGA he'd be looked at in a much more positive light.  He's not doing any of those things. 

True. I can’t argue with that.

39 minutes ago, DAG said:

Is Gus fired? Because that’s news to me. That wasn’t the point of your original statement . You are moving mountains now. You asked about him getting grief and I am telling you , yes! He would still get a good amount of grief if he had won a NC but remained inconsistent. There are guys who have won a NC but gotten just as much grief as Gus. Bob Stoops who majority of the fanbase wants, got a ton of grief at OU. It doesn’t take away that he won them a NC after they were eventually left for dead since their historic runs. You are living in a bubble of you think this is an Auburn thing. What about Les Miles?

Don't forget Mack Brown either. He won a NC in 2005 with Vince Young and then played for another NC in 2009 with Colt McCoy. Then after 2009, Texas became mediocre and Brown ultimately resigned/forced out in 2013.

54 minutes ago, DAG said:

Is Gus fired? Because that’s news to me. That wasn’t the point of your original statement . You are moving mountains now. You asked about him getting grief and I am telling you , yes! He would still get a good amount of grief if he had won a NC but remained inconsistent. There are guys who have won a NC but gotten just as much grief as Gus. Bob Stoops who majority of the fanbase wants, got a ton of grief at OU. It doesn’t take away that he won them a NC after they were eventually left for dead since their historic runs. You are living in a bubble of you think this is an Auburn thing. What about Les Miles?

The Bob Stoops grief from OU fans was ridiculous.  He won the conference championship 10 times in 18 seasons, Had 10 or more wins in 12 of those 18.  I get he only won 1 championship game but he also went to 10 BCS Bowl games, beat their biggest rival 11 of 18, and played in multiple MNC games.

34 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I won't say is actually yet but I will say might be. They're coming off of 10 wins in his second season as head coach and they are ranked a preseason top 10 going into this year. And they are likely to be talented every year, but definitely as long as he is there.

Now, could he be a successful head coach anywhere else? Except for Louisiana directional schools, I mean? Probably not.

Maybe I'm holding on to old perception but I was under the impression that LSU fans didn't even like him. Maybe that was before last season. 

Its also fun to rag on his caveman demeanor lolol. I hate that one of his 10 wins last year was against us SMH

1 minute ago, Tiger said:

Maybe I'm holding on to old perception but I was under the impression that LSU fans didn't even like him. Maybe that was before last season. 

I think his popularity initially got him the job. LSU eventually got burnt out on him and now love him again.

13 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

The Bob Stoops grief from OU fans was ridiculous.  He won the conference championship 10 times in 18 seasons, Had 10 or more wins in 12 of those 18.  I get he only won 1 championship game but he also went to 10 BCS Bowl games, beat their biggest rival 11 of 18, and played in multiple MNC games.

And guess what ? There are fans already saying if Lincoln can’t win it next year then he is another Stoops . Their fans say it as a negative connotation. This is a coach with a NC. That’s why I think this thread is laughable at best . We are our own prisoners of circumstances .

37 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

Thank you ! This is yet another reason why I was resistant to the whole Gus has the toughest job in America thread. I honestly don’t think the fans (majority) are asking a whole lot for a coach getting paid this much. Like I said, Riley is at a position where the fans expect a NC now.

1 hour ago, casatiger said:

I think he is still haunted by it. 

I know this for a fact. He has said so to a really good friend of mine.

2 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

I know this for a fact. He has said so to a really good friend of mine.

Dude's got the intestinal fortitude of a slug if he's still shook over a game from nearly 7 years ago.

Everyone is fine with losing when we are out talented.  But to get out coached consistently against our rivals is not acceptable.  Not having a good game plan or a reaction to the other teams adjustments is not a quality that is deserving of the position or being a “offensive genius.”

the qb read option play beer goggled our offensive system and Gus.  Any of us could have been the OC with cam and Nick and keep letting them make us look good.  Then it got figured out.  After sobering up we should have ran away and changed phone numbers.  Leathe decided that we should marry him.

17 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

Dude's got the intestinal fortitude of a slug if he's still shook over a game from nearly 7 years ago.

It was still on his mind when we played Oklahoma, he even talked about it on the field in the pre-game with my friend.

3 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

There are sooo many posts on every Auburn board just bashing our head coach, especially now that the baseball and basketball team are enjoying so much success. Even though he engineered the most remarkable comeback season in NCAA history and coached us to the title game in 2013, I feel like that one game changed everything for Gus. If he wins that one game (where we were ahead by 2tds+), I feel like nobody is giving him the amount of grief that he gets these days. He would be recognized as a national championship head coach. 

** Granted, we fired Chiz in 2012 for utter misery 2 years after a national title, but our program was in the gutter at that point. We did not win an SEC game and were beaten by 45 points in just about every game. **

That loss not only changed Gus but it changed the fans too. Gus was on the field for both NC games within a 4 season span. I know I absolutely thought we were on our way at that point. I was at Starkville when we lost in '14 and I admit that I walked into that stadium feeling sure about the win and walked out feeling like I got punched in the gut. That was a very good MSU team but I think AU fans felt confident before that loss. Then after A&M it's never been the same. My point is that my expectation was raised in 2013 and I didn't realistically think that would be the norm being in a NC each year but I also never expected 8-5 to be the norm. Gus gave us hope that year. He hasn't been the same since and neither have most of us. 

If Auburn had won the NC game Gus is still questionable today with many fans in my opinion. You can't follow up a Steak and Lobster dinner with repeated trips to McDonald's and keep your date interested very long. Now I'm hungry. 

1 hour ago, auburn4ever said:

Gus has lost 5 games in 3 plus 6 games in 2015 out of his 6 years as Auburn's head coach. It's time for Auburn's president, AD and the BOTs to come up with the money and show Gus to the door after 2019 season. As for the 2013 Championship game with fsu,, Auburn could have and should have beat them if Gus had not taken his foot off the gas pedal. Remember Auburn was up 21-3 before halftime.

33bp9o.jpg

I believe it wouldn't make a different on the heat he is receiving.  I'm mad at the losses but honestly I'm more frustrated that anyone with a minimal understanding of football can guess 50% of his play calls, if not more.  I'm frustrated at the debacle of the Clemson game a couple of years ago where he was rotating QBs and has continued to pull hot RBs for no reason.  I'm frustrated that he gave up on the Bama game last year and it was super obvious that half way in the game he was running the clock out so the beating wouldn't look too bad.  There is so much more than losses going on to be frustrated with.

It would have made a world of difference IMHO!

Gus just has some totally stupid losses that haunt his record.  The FSU game for the BCSNC when he had them on the ropes, two totally insane losses to UGA when they were down, letting LSU come back when he had them 21 -0 in the first quarter and things looked so bad their fans were leaving, Tennessee loss last year, LSU loss last year, UCF loss in the bowl game, running KJ totally in the ground against Bammer with the game in hand and saving nothing for UGA in the SECCG, and it goes on and on.  All of those were all just horrible, horrible coaching jobs resulting in losses that should have been victories.  Win those games and Gus has no insecurity about his job. He has the talent to do it this year but it remains to be seen whether he can take a team to a title or not.  I don’t put much stock in one game like losing the BCS to FSU but when the same stupid crap happens over and over it sure does get frustrating and the fact that he may be coaching for his job this year is a situation he created with his own poor coaching.  Maybe experience has taught him something but I will have to see it to believe it.  

Archived