Photo ID Required to Vote

Jenny AU-92

A lot of Dems at the state (right now, in Texas and California) and Federal level are freaking out about legislation that requires a person to show a photo ID when they vote. I cannot come up with one valid reason why this should be an issue.

The groups say that a voter registration card should be enough - well, to get a voter registration card, you have to have an address. If you have an address, you had to have had a photo ID in order to get a mortgage, or rent a place, or to turn on cable, water, electricity and phone service. So the argument that a photo ID discriminates against the poor won't work - not if they have ANY of the above.

Another problem with that is that the State of Texas, and probably most other states too - will give you a state issued photo ID in lieu of a drivers license for I think $10. HOW can you get thru life these days without a photo ID? If you drive, if you write a check, buy alcohol, go to a doctor or hospital, or fly on an airplane, YOU HAVE TO HAVE A PHOTO ID.

If you haven't gone to the trouble to obtain a government issued ID of SOME KIND - a student ID, a state ID card, a passport or a drivers license - then do you really deserve to vote?

The only reason I can come up with is that this group knows that a photo ID requirement will cut down on voter fraud, and perhaps most voter fraud goes the liberal's way?? Well, what is the problem with cutting down on voter fraud? I don't want someone who is not a citizen of this country to vote in my presidential election any more than a French dude would want me voting in a French Presidential election, SINCE I AM NOT A CITIZEN OF FRANCE!!! And I don't want any US citizen with the right to vote to vote more than the one time they are allowed to vote - one man, one vote. What is so hard or so bad about that????

How can these people legitimately stand up and oppose this bill?????

Well, there's the homeless, I suppose. And they'll tend to vote Democrat, so naturally that party would raise the issue and the Republicans would pooh-pooh it. But it seems to me there'd be a way to make an exception or otherwise deal with that issue.

Why not take the picture and give a photo ID at the time people register, just like they do with the driver licenses?

Well, there's the homeless, I suppose.  And they'll tend to vote Democrat, so naturally that party would raise the issue and the Republicans would pooh-pooh it.  But it seems to me there'd be a way to make an exception or otherwise deal with that issue.

Why not take the picture and give a photo ID at the time people register, just like they do with the driver licenses?

156473[/snapback]

How many homeless ACTUALLY vote anyway? And being homeless does not prevent you from getting a state ID card - heck, there is probably some program to give you a free ID card if you don't have the $10.

Here's an article about the Texas Bill.

Bill requiring Texans to show ID to vote draws fire

Associated Press

AUSTIN — A bill requiring Texans to present a photo ID to cast a ballot would discourage the poor, minorities and the disabled from voting, groups opposed to the measure said Monday.

But the bill's author, Rep. Mary Denny, R-Flower Mound, said presenting identification is not burdensome to voters and doing so will prevent fraud.

"As Texans we have the right, we have the responsibility, and as Texans we should be able to vote with our voter registration card," said Ana Yanez-Correa, spokeswoman for the League of United Latin American Citizens.

Under a bill House lawmakers will debate Tuesday, Texans would have to present photo ID to vote on election day. Without it, they would have to present two other forms of identification, such as a birth certificate, utility bill, paycheck or library card.

"You have to show ID to rent a video at Blockbuster," Denny said. "That's something simple and not nearly as sacred to us as casting our vote."

Currently, a voter can present a voter registration card at the poll to cast a ballot. Without the card, voters can enter the poll with a photo ID such as a driver's license or state-issued personal identification card. If a voter doesn't have photo ID, just one other form is needed.

Opponents said requiring additional identification creates another barrier for those who are already least likely to vote and further complicates the voting system.

"This simply adds another layer of requirement, bureaucracy and red tape to that whole system," said Deece Eckstein, director of People for the American Way.

The requirement would drive away many disabled voters, said Laurie Vanhoose with Advocacy Inc., adding that disenfranchisement is a bigger voting problem than fraud.

Rep. Alma Allen, D-Houston, said the proposal conjures memories of poll taxes and tests meant to drive away minorities from polling places before the 1965 Voting Rights Act assured all Americans' ability to cast a ballot.

"We've been here, we've done this. That's over," Allen said. "Let's get on with living like real Americans, real human beings, trusting each other in the voting system."

But fraud over the years has caused mistrust of the current system, Denny said. She said she has heard many tales of dead people voting and of people who falsified their identities casting ballots.

"People are tired of it," Denny said. "They want to know their vote counts and that it was cast by them."

A sure and simple way to solve the problem, she said, is to require voters to present identification.

"In this day and age everyone has a photo ID," Denny said. "You have to have it to exist in today's world."

AUSTIN — A bill requiring Texans to present a photo ID to cast a ballot would discourage the poor, minorities and the disabled from voting, groups opposed to the measure said Monday.

For some reason, they left convicted felons from the list.

The requirement would drive away many disabled voters, said Laurie Vanhoose with Advocacy Inc., adding that disenfranchisement is a bigger voting problem than fraud.

Would it be that hard for a disabled person to have their picture taken? Being disabled does not mean that they don't have wallets or purses does it? If it's that hard let the dems provide a clip to hang the card from or a chain to hang it around their necks.

Rep. Alma Allen, D-Houston, said the proposal conjures memories of poll taxes and tests meant to drive away minorities from polling places before the 1965 Voting Rights Act assured all Americans' ability to cast a ballot.

I may cry at the bad memories. :(

"We've been here, we've done this. That's over," Allen said. "Let's get on with living like real Americans, real human beings, trusting each other in the voting system."

Well Lady, it's the folks who are NOT real Americans who should not vote. Did she really break out and start singing Kumbaya? <_<

Don't worry about the homeless voting. They're getting free crack and booze from the Democrat party every time they help 'register' another voter.

Don't worry about the homeless voting. They're getting free crack and booze from the Democrat party every time they help 'register' another voter.

156517[/snapback]

Ah, Raptor raises the level of discourse once again.

156517[/snapback]

156520[/snapback]

Sorry Texas, facts is facts. I couldn't make this stuff up.....the Dems do it so well. :roflol:

156517[/snapback]

156520[/snapback]

Sorry Texas, facts is facts. I couldn't make this stuff up.....the Dems do it so well. :roflol:

156521[/snapback]

Actually, you make it up very well. Disinformation is your strong suit.

You got me. I embelleshed. Booze was never involved, just crack. My humble apologies.

You got me. I embelleshed. Booze was never involved, just crack. My humble apologies.

156524[/snapback]

Not the only lie you told. Keep trying.

156525[/snapback]

See, it's not a lie if it's factually true. Democrats DID in fact recruit voters by using crack cocain. That is a fact.

MAN GIVEN CRACK COCAINE TO REGISTER VOTERS ARRESTED IN OHIO

Mon Oct 18 2004 13:26:03 ET

October 18, 2004

The Defiance County Sheriff's Office arrested Chad Staton, age 22, of Stratton Ave., Defiance, on a charge of False Registration, in Violation of Section 3599.11 of the Ohio Revised Code, a felony of the fifth degree.

The SheriffÕs Office alleges that Staton filled out over 100 voter registration forms that were fictitious. Staton was to be paid for each registration form that he could get citizens to fill out. However, Staton himself filled out the registrations and returned them to the woman who hired him from Toledo, Ohio. Deputies allege that Staton was paid crack cocaine for the falsified registrations.

Defiance Deputies along with Toledo Police Department detectives conducted a search warrant of a residence on Woodland in Toledo, believed to be the home of the woman who hired Staton to solicit voter registration. Officers confiscated drug paraphernalia along with voter registration forms from the home. The occupant of the home, Georgianne Pitts, age 41, advised law enforcement, along with Ohio B.C.I.&I., that she had been recruited by Thaddeus J. Jackson, II, of Cleveland, to obtain voter registrations. Pitts admitted to paying Staton crack cocaine for the registrations in lieu of money.

A business card provided by Pitts indicated that Jackson is the Assistant NVF Ohio Director of the NAACP National Voter Fund.

The initial complaint received by the Sheriff's Office came from the Defiance County Board of Elections. The Board had received the 100 plus registration forms from the Cuyahoga Board of Elections that had been submitted to the Cuyahoga Board by the NAACP National Voter Fund.

156524[/snapback]

Not the only lie you told. Keep trying.

156525[/snapback]

See, it's not a lie if it's factually true. Democrats DID in fact recruit voters by using crack cocain. That is a fact.

MAN GIVEN CRACK COCAINE TO REGISTER VOTERS ARRESTED IN OHIO

Mon Oct 18 2004 13:26:03 ET

October 18, 2004

The Defiance County Sheriff's Office arrested Chad Staton, age 22, of Stratton Ave., Defiance, on a charge of False Registration, in Violation of Section 3599.11 of the Ohio Revised Code, a felony of the fifth degree.

The SheriffÕs Office alleges that Staton filled out over 100 voter registration forms that were fictitious. Staton was to be paid for each registration form that he could get citizens to fill out. However, Staton himself filled out the registrations and returned them to the woman who hired him from Toledo, Ohio. Deputies allege that Staton was paid crack cocaine for the falsified registrations.

Defiance Deputies along with Toledo Police Department detectives conducted a search warrant of a residence on Woodland in Toledo, believed to be the home of the woman who hired Staton to solicit voter registration. Officers confiscated drug paraphernalia along with voter registration forms from the home. The occupant of the home, Georgianne Pitts, age 41, advised law enforcement, along with Ohio B.C.I.&I., that she had been recruited by Thaddeus J. Jackson, II, of Cleveland, to obtain voter registrations. Pitts admitted to paying Staton crack cocaine for the registrations in lieu of money.

A business card provided by Pitts indicated that Jackson is the Assistant NVF Ohio Director of the NAACP National Voter Fund.

The initial complaint received by the Sheriff's Office came from the Defiance County Board of Elections. The Board had received the 100 plus registration forms from the Cuyahoga Board of Elections that had been submitted to the Cuyahoga Board by the NAACP National Voter Fund.

156528[/snapback]

The article you cite doesn't support your assertion. There is a point at which at honest mistake, not corrected in the face of facts, becomes a lie. I'd say you're just about there.

THE NAACP 'VOTE FOR CRACK' DRIVE

The Democrats and traditional Democratic constituencies are going to do everything in their power to steal the election for John Kerry, and this story emphasizes that point quite nicely.

An Ohio man has been arrested for allegedly filing more than 100 false voter registrations in exchange for crack cocaine from a woman working on behalf of the NAACP's voter registration drive.  In case you needed reminding, Ohio (along with Florida) is one of the most important battleground states in the election.

Toledo police searched the home of Georgianne Pitts, the woman working for the NAACP, and found more voter registration forms. She admitted to paying the man crack for his services, and says she was hired by the NAACP, which of course denies any charge of voter fraud.  Yeah right...dry that one out and you could fertilize the lawn.  The fact of the matter is most polling places don't require identification to be able to vote, so there is nothing stopping people from voting at more than one polling place.

Just as in the past, the Democratic Party depends on and will need every last vote from dead people, people voting more than once, and any other form of "disenfranchisement" they can cook up.

- Neal Boortz.

If you want to believe that the NAACP is working independently form the Democrat party, have at it. There is no lie here, sorry. You just can't deal w/ the facts.

THE NAACP 'VOTE FOR CRACK' DRIVE

The Democrats and traditional Democratic constituencies are going to do everything in their power to steal the election for John Kerry, and this story emphasizes that point quite nicely.

An Ohio man has been arrested for allegedly filing more than 100 false voter registrations in exchange for crack cocaine from a woman working on behalf of the NAACP's voter registration drive.  In case you needed reminding, Ohio (along with Florida) is one of the most important battleground states in the election.

Toledo police searched the home of Georgianne Pitts, the woman working for the NAACP, and found more voter registration forms. She admitted to paying the man crack for his services, and says she was hired by the NAACP, which of course denies any charge of voter fraud.  Yeah right...dry that one out and you could fertilize the lawn.  The fact of the matter is most polling places don't require identification to be able to vote, so there is nothing stopping people from voting at more than one polling place.

Just as in the past, the Democratic Party depends on and will need every last vote from dead people, people voting more than once, and any other form of "disenfranchisement" they can cook up.

- Neal Boortz.

If you want to believe that the NAACP is working independently form the Democrat party, have at it. There is no lie here, sorry. You just can't deal w/ the facts.

156539[/snapback]

Once again, I think it started out as a honest mistake, more or less. You rely on unreliable sources of information. There are a ton of Right Wing websites out there making the same assertion. But the facts are simple. You cite one case in which one person affiliated with one chapter of the NAACP did something. There is no evidence her actions were known or authorized by the larger NAACP, much less the Democratic Party. The story is sensational, but there is no evidence it is illustrative of the Democratic Party as you assert. Once your playing fast and loose with facts was pointed out, you could have been a man of integrity and said, "Yeah, I overstated." But you can't. Because your ego won't let you. You just dig deeper into failing to take any responsibility for your actions whatsoever--- the type of behavior you and other "conservatives" love to put down in others.

WELL, BACK TO THE ORIGINAL TOPIC OF THE THREAD................

The TX Rep, Alma Allen, who is quoted in the article I posted above, was on the Chris Baker radio show yesterday. This woman is about as out of touch as anyone I have ever heard. She said that paying for a state issued photo ID - not a DL, just an ID - constituted a POLL TAX. Here we go, bringing race into it again. By her logic, the big bad white people want to require ID's so poor black folks won't be able to vote because they would have to BUY an ID card, which is the same as the old practice of charging a poll tax to vote, in order to disenfranchise black voters. Chris shot back that if these people were poor, they were probably on government assistance- how did they cash a government assistance check without a photo ID? EXCELLENT question. She pretended to misunderstand him, by saying that her consituents didn't have checking accounts, something he certainly wouldn't understand, so they never WROTE checks.

But to me, that is a valid question - HOW can you cash a check, welfare or otherwise, without a photo ID, especially if you don't have a checking account??? The ID is used for more than just voting. So she just shot holes in her own argument.

Not to mention the fact that it costs $5 to get your first Driver's License, and $24 to renew at expiration 6 years later. A State Issued ID card is $5 the first time and only $15 at renewal. So I am paying a higher poll tax than someone who only has an ID card.

She is an IDIOT. So of course, Jenny feels obligated to email her and let her know that she is an idiot:

I heard your interview yesterday on the Chris Baker Show and was both amused and somewhat appalled at your fundamentally flawed position. Your argument that paying for a state issued ID card constitutes a poll tax does not hold water. By your ''logic'', the fee I paid to get my original Texas Driver's License ($5) and the cost of renewal at the 6 year expiration date ($24) would also be a ''poll tax'', meaning that by simply requiring people to pay for driver's licenses, the State of Texas is in violation of the 1965 Voting Rights Act, which expressly disallows the use of a poll tax. Further, the US Supreme Court independently declared poll taxes an unconstitutional violation of the equal protection clause of the 14th Amendment in Harper v. Virginia State Bd. of Elections, 383 U.S. 663 (1966). I guess you need to rush right out and file a class action suit against the State for violating the civil rights of every single driver and ID card holder in the State of Texas!!

By the way, I can't believe I am having to explain this to an elected state representative, but because the Federal Government and the U.S. Supreme Court have both struck down the poll tax, the Texas poll tax law is automatically null and void, and there is no need for separate legislative action to remove or repeal the act. That is just a waste of time and effort and completely unnecessary. It's called ''severability'' and it’s basic contract law. If any provision or portion of a law shall be declared invalid or unlawful, the remaining provisions shall not be affected thereby, and the law shall be construed as if such invalid or unlawful provision or portion had never been contained therein.

You neatly dodged Chris's question yesterday about how a person with no photo ID card is able to cash a check - government benefit or otherwise. Just how does that happen?? You said they must have other arrangements – just what exactly would those be? I would like to know, because it would really be a lot easier to not have to carry my driver’s license with me everywhere I go, if having to prove I am actually who I say I am is a violation of my privacy or might cause me to be humiliated in public.

Anyone who wants to vote, and considers voting to be a sacred privilege, will do anything necessary to make sure they are able to do so, even if it means procurement of a state issued photo ID card. People in Iraq did not let the threat of DEATH come between them and voting. There is nothing anyone in this country could claim as an impediment to voting that would trump the possibility of death.

You need to rethink your position on this issue and realize just how ridiculous your arguments are - poll tax indeed. And for your information, that ''free'' card you get at Blockbuster is given to you ONLY after you provide a photo ID and a major credit card. You can't even rent a movie at Blockbuster without a photo ID, yet you and people like you want to open up the most precious right we have as Americans to just anyone who saunters up to a polling place. Voting is for U.S. CITIZENS - PERIOD. Each U.S. citizen is granted ONE VOTE - PERIOD. When you and others like you try to circumvent efforts to ENSURE ''one citizen, one vote'', then turn around and scream about unsubstantiated fantasy based claims of voter fraud, you can't be surprised that the general public responds with skepticism and wonders why you are so anxious to continue a climate where fraud and deceit have a means to flourish - could it be that your party would suffer if voter fraud was prevented? On the surface, at least, this certainly seems like a plausible scenario.

Once again I will say, if the dems think it is unfair, they should provide the ID's free of charge. Not from public funds but from the Democrats funds.

Once again, I think it started out as a honest mistake, more or less.

156541[/snapback]

In the eyes of the dems, the only mistake was they were caught.

Not needing a photo ID to vote is just stupid. Where I vote they would rather see the voter registration card which just has your name on it. They use that over a drivers license. Makes no sense to me. What's wrong with me?

Well let's see...all of the people COMPLAINING that it is REQUIRED that you have a photo ID should never do any of the following:

Buy Cigarettes

Buy Liquor

Ever go to a Bar/Club

Have a checking account

Drive

Have a credit card

Leave the country

Have perscription drugs

Have a job

Have any utility in their name

Own a car

Own a house

Rent an apartment

Live in government housing

Receive welfare

Because really...when you think about it..its just about snaking that 10 dollars from minorities and poor people. :sigh:

It's fine when people want to present an ID for something they WANT...but when they might be able to commit voter fraud...they dont want to have anything as SIMPLE as a photo ID impede it.

Jenny, that's an awesome post. Please keep us updated if you get a reply.

Jenny, that's an awesome post.  Please keep us updated if you get a reply.

156585[/snapback]

Yeah, tell us what she said. I'll bet she's still trying to get through the first paragraph!!!

Once again I will say, if the dems think it is unfair, they should provide the ID's free of charge.  Not from public funds but from the Democrats funds.

156541[/snapback]

156549[/snapback]

Just to be sure, you do know I was referring to Raptor's mistake in ascribing this action to the Democratic Party, not the individual providing the crack?

Jenny, I am with you on this 100%. The ONLY reason that the demoncrats are against this is that it significantly increases the difficulty for voting fraud and it gives them an excuse to whine about the results and cry fraud against their opponents. The dems know that voting fraud is their friend. I actually think we should go a step further and require an unique card, with the voters SS# imbeded in it and an national database to identify and prosecute those who use fraudulent cards.

Banks, with their ATM cards have perfected this security system. An unique card and PIN number required to vote and the vote is immediately tallied and the voter is marked as having voted so that he/she may not do so in another precinct or by absentee.

IF the politicians truly want voting reform, it is there for the asking.

Once again I will say, if the dems think it is unfair, they should provide the ID's free of charge.  Not from public funds but from the Democrats funds.

156541[/snapback]

156549[/snapback]

Just to be sure, you do know I was referring to Raptor's mistake in ascribing this action to the Democratic Party, not the individual providing the crack?

156599[/snapback]

Clarification noted.

Doesn't the fact that someone voted for a liberal prove that they are on crack!?

Archived