Pinko Gets 8 year sentence

Jenny AU-92

To quote one guy who posted this on another board:

I think eight years of being some big black guy’s buttwife, not to mention subsequently being unable to get a job anywhere because of his status as a convited felon, should give pause to any other right, white, liberal d***h***s who think that going around burning cars is a good idea.

The newly convicted felon may be a physics grad student, but apparently he is dumb as a post:

Cottrell was arrested in March 2004 after authorities tracked e-mails sent to the Los Angeles Times. The sender said he was involved in the SUV attacks and affiliated with the Earth Liberation Front.

LINK

Eight Years In Jail For SUV Arson

LOS ANGELES, April 19, 2005

"What a talent to have wasted."

U.S. District Judge R. Gary Klausner

(AP) A Caltech graduate student convicted of helping to firebomb scores of sport utility vehicles was sentenced to more than eight years in federal prison and ordered to pay $3.5 million in restitution.

A federal judge Monday rejected William Jensen Cottrell's plea for leniency.

"There's no way I'd ever be involved in anything like this again," Cottrell said. "I won't ever even jaywalk again."

However, U.S. District Judge R. Gary Klausner said Cottrell had engaged in domestic terrorism and "we're very, very lucky" that no one was killed in the arson attacks.

Cottrell, 24, was convicted in November of conspiracy to commit arson and seven counts of arson for an August 2003 vandalism spree that damaged and destroyed about 125 SUVs at dealerships and homes in the San Gabriel Valley east of Los Angeles.

Cottrell was acquitted of using a destructive device — Molotov cocktails — in a crime of violence. That was the most serious charge he faced and it carried a sentence of at least 30 years in prison.

At his trial, the prosecution had accused Cottrell of "arrogance" and a "towering superiority" toward people who did not share his environmental views. Cottrell had testified that SUV dealers were evil.

The judge said he felt sorry for Cottrell, a doctoral candidate in the physics department at the California Institute of Technology in Pasadena, but he had only himself to blame.

"What a talent to have wasted," Klausner said.

Vandals used spray-paint to deface the vehicles with slogans such as "Fat, Lazy Americans," "polluter" and "ELF," for Earth Liberation Front, a radical environmental group.

Prosecutors estimated the total damage at $2.3 million.

Defense lawyers argued that Cottrell had agreed with two friends to spray-paint vehicles, but was surprised when they began to hurl Molotov cocktails.

Federal prosecutors have identified former Caltech students Tyler Johnson and Michie Oe as "fugitive co-conspirators" in the case. It is believed that both have fled the country.

Cottrell was arrested in March 2004 after authorities tracked e-mails sent to the Los Angeles Times. The sender said he was involved in the SUV attacks and affiliated with the Earth Liberation Front.

Domestic Terrorist? Think of the lives he has saved by getting the tons of iron off the road. Everyone knows how conservative I am on here, but the day they make me King, I will outlaw all SUVs (at least for Soccer Moms with one kid and a cell phone they cannot put down when they get behind the wheel) (Oops, Jenny is that you?). Driving is a privilege, not a right...

8 years for an estimated $2.3 million in malicious property damage? I'd say the boy got off lightly. I hope the law catches up with & quickly jails his partners in crime too:

... Defense lawyers argued that Cottrell had agreed with two friends to spray-paint vehicles, but was surprised when they began to hurl Molotov cocktails.

Federal prosecutors have identified former Caltech students Tyler Johnson and Michie Oe as "fugitive co-conspirators" in the case. It is believed that both have fled the country.  ...

It really is a shame -- a smart kid who probably could have used his science education for the betterment of mankind. Now, it's all down the drain because he got sidetracked into some goofy radical environmental group while in college. If only he had been thinking of Newton's 3rd Law of Motion before he acted so stupidly: "For every action, there is an opposite and equal reaction."

Domestic Terrorist?  Think of the lives he has saved by getting the tons of iron off the road.  Everyone knows how conservative I am on here, but the day they make me King, I will outlaw all SUVs (at least for Soccer Moms with one kid and a cell phone they cannot put down when they get behind the wheel) (Oops, Jenny is that you?).  Driving is a privilege, not a right...

156512[/snapback]

Well, the part about the SUV (Ford Escape) and one kid and a cell phone that I use with a headset while driving are all accurate - the soccer mom part is not. And I am VERY careful while driving - my CHILD is in the car with me. I even drive residential streets on my comute now - takes longer, but I am not driving with Katie on I-45 with all the a**hole MALE drivers in hot little "compensating for something" sportscars or ton o' steel luxury cars or big ass SUV's that gab on a cell phone and have ZERO disregard for those around them because they are too self important and too busy making their deal of the day to pay attention to the road. So let's not be too sexist in our response, shall we?

Temporary Hijack:

Why is it ...everytime a lady sees a guy in a bad ass sports car...he's compensating for something? My girlfriend says that all the time..."oh he's just compensating for lack of..."

I mean..maybe the guy just likes sports cars. :poke:

Temporary Hijack:

Why is it ...everytime a lady sees a guy in a bad ass sports car...he's compensating for something? My girlfriend says that all the time..."oh he's just compensating for lack of..."

I mean..maybe the guy just likes sports cars. :poke:

156578[/snapback]

It totally depends on the guy driving the car. Fat, short, bald and/or ugly, but a tall, blonde bimbo in the seat of that flashy car - yeah, he's compensating for something and she's helping him. I say the same thing about women who wear short skirts and tall heels and too much make-up when they are in their mid forties - in both cases, there is age appropriateness involved. It smacks of desperation - mid-life crisis type stuff. Maybe it is just stereotyping, but it does seem to be pretty accurate. The President of one of our divisions is divorced, mid-40s and VERY short - I call him Napoleon because his ego and a**hole attitude is legendary around here - and he drives a Porsche Boxter. Since he has managed to bang his way thru several of the young females in this company (also a big UGH factor) I can say with some degree of certainly from second hand gossip that he is INDEED compensating for his "shortcomings" in at least two areas - one obvious, one not. He also happens to be a :corndog: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol::lol:

My thing is, if you aren't compensating or trying to attract attention becuse you are desperate, then buy a mega-expensive Mercedes, or wear designer clothes. Don't buy a Corvette or wear a leather mini skirt with four inch red heels and enough lipstick to paint an entire drag queen show. Have some respect for yourself!

Well, the part about the SUV (Ford Escape) and one kid and a cell phone that I use with a headset while driving are all accurate - the soccer mom part is not.  And I am VERY careful while driving - my CHILD is in the car with me.  I even drive residential streets on my comute now - takes longer, but I am not driving with Katie on I-45 with all the a**hole MALE drivers in hot little "compensating for something" sportscars or ton o' steel luxury cars or big ass SUV's that gab on a cell phone and have ZERO disregard for those around them because they are too self important and too busy making their deal of the day to pay attention to the road.  So let's not be too sexist in our response, shall we?

156560[/snapback]

Sorry for the sexist part, but facts are a man is going to be much more likelier to need a SUV, for hunting our his outdoor/construction type job, than a female. But, I do agree, there isn't much difference in their lack of consideration and driving skills.

If you are really concerned about safety, and would still like a larger vehicle, you need to trade that SUV for a minivan. SUVs are not required to meet the same safety standards as passenger vehicles, only the much lower ones for trucks. There is also the rollover consideration. And after your comments on men with sportscars, don't tell me you don't want a minivan because it isn't as cool as a SUV. ;)

Rexbo, I agree with you in principle. Less than 2% of the people who drive SUV's NEED to drive such a vehicle.

Two simple suggestions to get unnecessary road monsters off the road.

1. Let gasoline prices rise to world market prices. Before you speak the words, "government intervention", realize that our gasoline prices are still one third of those in the rest of the industrialized world, BECAUSE of US government policy.

2. Tie traffic violaiton fines to the weight of the offending vehicle. There is logic for this too. The bigger and more unweildy the vehicle, the more damage it is capable of causing in an accident. If you want to surround yourself with three tons of iron in the belief that it makes you more safe (at the expense of the safety of others around you), then you pay the price if you don't drive responsibly.

If you want to surround yourself with three tons of iron in the belief that it makes you more safe (at the expense of the safety of others around you), then you pay the price if you don't drive responsibly.

156605[/snapback]

You are doggone right that I want to surround my child with as much steel as is allowed in order to keep her safe. I would drive a Sherman tank with her car seat in it if I could. I don't see this as "At the expense of the safety of others around me", I see this "Spare no expense to keep Katie safe in the event of an accident, regardless of fault". I make no apologies for that.

And you are also doggone right that I am not driving a minivan because I am NOT Carol Brady or whatsherface Partridge. :lol:

Enters Titan Tiger

"Hey man...Mini Vans are cool. You just don't know cause you don't have one."

:big:   :poke:

156630[/snapback]

Who said they were "cool"? They are extremely practical though and anyone who avoids them over some silly perception of retaining their manhood by driving an SUV probably needs counseling for unresolved childhood issues.

Enters Titan Tiger

"Hey man...Mini Vans are cool. You just don't know cause you don't have one."

:big:   :poke:

156630[/snapback]

Who said they were "cool"? They are extremely practical though and anyone who avoids them over some silly perception of retaining their manhood by driving an SUV probably needs counseling for unresolved childhood issues.

156631[/snapback]

Not a childhood issue for me - it goes much deeper than that - whenever I see a minivan, I instantly get the smell of stale Cheerios and old musty graham cracker crumbs, spoiled milk and rancid apple juice. Just can't get past the image of the stereotypical soccer mom lugging around a passel of kids from pillar to post - and that just isn't me. This is NOT a reflection on anyone else or their love affair with the minivan (DKW and wannabe!!) - this is purely a Jenny thing - I just can't do it. ANd I am not tied to my SUV either - as soon as Katie is old enough to not need a car seat or booster, I want a Volvo.

Not a childhood issue for me - it goes much deeper than that - whenever I see a minivan, I instantly get the smell of stale Cheerios and old musty graham cracker crumbs, spoiled milk and rancid apple juice.  Just can't get past the image of the stereotypical soccer mom lugging around a passel of kids from pillar to post - and that just isn't me.  This is NOT a reflection on anyone else or their love affair with the minivan (DKW and wannabe!!) - this is purely a Jenny thing - I just can't do it.  ANd I am not tied to my SUV either - as soon as Katie is old enough to not need a car seat or booster, I want a Volvo.

156632[/snapback]

Wow. That's pretty vivid. Do SUVs have some kind of cleaning fairy godmother that prevents stale Cheerios, graham cracker crumbs, spoiled milk and rancid apple juice from becoming part of the interior? ;)

Honestly, we looked at SUVs, but the midsize ones were useless (4Runner, Explorer, Pathfinder, etc.) and the next step up, the Dodge Durango gets abyssmal reliability ratings from multiple sources. So then you're looking at the Tahoe, Yukon, Expedition, Suburban...the behemoths. Their crash test ratings weren't any better. They all get horrible gas mileage. The cost of repairs is higher than the average minivan and they have a greater rollover risk. Not to mention I'm not sure our garage could fit one. So, we went with the Honda Odyssey. It just seemed like making any other choice was just doing so out of vanity and worrying about what other people thought.

Honestly, we looked at SUVs, but the midsize ones were useless (4Runner, Explorer, Pathfinder, etc.) and the next step up, the Dodge Durango gets abyssmal reliability ratings from multiple sources.  So then you're looking at the Tahoe, Yukon, Expedition, Suburban...the behemoths.  Their crash test ratings weren't any better.  They all get horrible gas mileage.  The cost of repairs is higher than the average minivan and they have a greater rollover risk.  Not to mention I'm not sure our garage could fit one.  So, we went with the Honda Odyssey.  It just seemed like making any other choice was just doing so out of vanity and worrying about what other people thought.

156648[/snapback]

I don't know if I have ever agreed with a post more. When I am made King, TitanTiger will be my Vice-King and we will have the whole country driving around in Odysseys, Accords and Volvo's. Except for me of course, I will be driving around in a red Honda S2000; being 42, I am just about ready for my full blown 'shortcomings' compensating, mid-life crisis vehicle. (Or maybe I am already there, with my Honda CBR600RR, 100 hp and 375 lbs, now that is a power to weight ratio.)

Rexbo, I agree with you in principle.  Less than 2% of the people who drive SUV's NEED to drive such a vehicle. 

Two simple suggestions to get unnecessary road monsters off the road.

1.  Let gasoline prices rise to world market prices.  Before you speak the words, "government intervention", realize that our gasoline prices are still one third of those in the rest of the industrialized world, BECAUSE of US government policy.

2.  Tie traffic violaiton fines to the weight of the offending vehicle.  There is logic for this too.  The bigger and more unweildy the vehicle, the more damage it is capable of causing in an accident.  If you want to surround yourself with three tons of iron in the belief that it makes you more safe (at the expense of the safety of others around you), then you pay the price if you don't drive responsibly.

156605[/snapback]

:clap::clap: :clap:

Could not agree more. Could we make gas taxable for weight of a vehicle?

If we would quit buying oil from the Middle east, it would suit me fine. I realize China will now buy it, but at least Al Qaeda wont be shooting our own money back at us.

Wow.  That's pretty vivid.  Do SUVs have some kind of cleaning fairy godmother that prevents stale Cheerios, graham cracker crumbs, spoiled milk and rancid apple juice from becoming part of the interior?  ;)

156648[/snapback]

Yes, her name is Hilda and she comes every other Thursday.

I SPECIFICALLY stated that this is just a Jenny thing - I once knew someone who had a mini-van and EVERY time I got in it, THAT was what it smelled like. Scent is the strongest sense tied to memory, and I just can't shake that image. I knew I would get bashed for anti-mini van comments, but it isn't vanity, it isn't what someone else thinks, it is about me, my memory, my perceptions and my choice of vehicle. For those of you who love your mini-vans, I am happy for you, I swear!!! :blink:

I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Ford Escape - it has PLENTY of room for us (seats five VERY comfortably, or 4 with the car seat), it has a V6 which is all I need, I get great gas mileage, it handles like a sedan with great turning radius, it has side impact beams and side impact airbags in addition to the traditional safety stuff , it has extra child safety seat clamps in addition to the mandatory LATCH system, I have a reverse warning system to let me know when something is behind me, and now the Escape even comes in a hybrid. So I don't even really consider it to be a true SUV in the original meaning of the word - just an oversized car. I would NEVER drive an Expedition, a Denali or any other of those mostrosities.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Ford Escape - it has PLENTY of room for us (seats five VERY comfortably, or 4 with the car seat), it has a V6 which is all I need, I get great gas mileage, it handles like a sedan with great turning radius, it has side impact beams and side impact airbags in addition to the traditional safety stuff , it has extra child safety seat clamps in addition to the mandatory LATCH system, I have a reverse warning system to let me know when something is behind me, and now the Escape even comes in a hybrid.  So I don't even really consider it to be a true SUV in the original meaning of the word - just an oversized car.  I would NEVER drive an Expedition, a Denali or any other of those mostrosities.

156721[/snapback]

Ok, ok, just for you Jenny, I won't outlaw smaller SUVs, with the new safety upgrades they are finally putting in them, when I am made King. But, you will have to find another brand, because I will outlaw Fords...

Archived