Offensive Production & WR Use

ellitor

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

I hope you are right bro! Thanks for your info .

It's not me. We are hoping the staff is right.

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, ellitor said:

It's more like trying to figure out the best way to use him., Not necessarily the same thing.

Again, how? You have had him for two years now lol 

2 minutes ago, ellitor said:

It's more like trying to figure out the best way to use him., Not necessarily the same thing.

He's been in this system for 2 yrs now, and this staff still doesn't know how to use him? WTH?  :banghead:

1 minute ago, DAG said:

Again, how? You have had him for two years now lol 

How is  is based on what else is on roster. Deficency in recruiting as you said.

Just now, keesler said:

He's been in this system for 2 yrs now, and this staff still doesn't know how to use him? WTH?  :banghead:

Arguably the best WR on the roster lol

17 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Gus seems to have an identity crisis. If he wanted a dominant run game, then we should've been bringing road grader OL, Run-first QBs, and power runners...but we haven't. We've instead brought in, what seems like, 37 wr in the last 3 classes

Yes and WR's are typically athletic enough to play other position EXCEPT OL.........which brings us back to the problem of......

Just now, ellitor said:

How is  is based on what else is on roster. Deficency in recruiting as you said.

Why does it matter who else is on the roster when he is probably the best WR on the roster? 

1 minute ago, keesler said:

It how to fit his skills with the other WRs on roster. They shouldn't have to be in this situation but are.

3 minutes ago, keesler said:

And the thing is, we do know how to use him. Gus is just choosing not to. If I had to guess, Gus probably just isn't happy with his blocking. So sick of it. 

Just now, DAG said:

Why does it matter who else is on the roster when he is probably the best WR on the roster? 

Because not every WR can do the same things well. When a staff has put themselves in that situation they have to figure out how to fit a more polished player's abilities with the abilities of other WRs on roster. For example. If you have an outside physical guy you trust then you can play Seth inside. If you have an inside guy you trust then you can play him outside. If you have neither you trust then you have to figure out which is more important for the O, him outside or inside.

44 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Latest I read was the staff has not decided yet if they are going to use Seth as an inside possession guy or an outside deep threat FWIW.

Per spring practice reports we were planning on using him as number one split while  working inside as well. Because we don’t like to substitute, all receivers should know how every position. 

Has there been a change from this thinking? I agree with DAG. We should move him around to expose mismatches. 

Just now, ellitor said:

Because not every WR can do the same things well. When a staff has put themselves in that situation they have to figure out how to fit a more polished player's abilities with the abilities of other WRs on roster. For example. If you have an outside physical guy you trust then you can play Seth inside. If you have an inside guy you trust then you can play him outside. If you have neither you trust then you have to figure out which is more important for the O, him outside or inside.

But we know Seth Williams can play in the inside and outside! So why do you care about what the other guys are doing? He trumps any of the other guys. This is that pigeonhole mentality . 

When you have a stud , you use him regardless of any of the other deficiencies.  That is like you have the option to get Julio Jones but then you are worried about not having a possession WR on the inside. Who cares? Play the guy. If you have to move him inside then just do it. I get it if you are evaluating a 2nd or 3rd option but your best option should be on the field regardless. Whether it is in the slot or Z position. 

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

Or, you line up Seth wherever the hell you want because he can do a lot of things, and then you line up other guys at other positions because they might not be great at everything but they can be good at enough things. 

There's no way we don't have 4 WRs on roster who could line up at X, Y or Z. Gus just won't trust them to do anything. It's maddening. 

1 minute ago, aujeff11 said:

Per spring practice reports we were planning on using him as number one split while  working inside as well. Because we don’t like to substitute, all receivers should know how every position. 

Has there been a change from this thinking?

Yes apparently. What I have post is something Jason Caldwell has been discussing the past month or so.

It is frustrating as hell to watch our main rivals haul in Tfresh/RSFresh WR's and we watch those cats show out every week, young talented guys put in a position to exhibit their talents on the field in a big way.

While our HC/OC still has serious "trust" issues that he can't overcome.

Just now, keesler said:

It is frustrating as hell to watch our main rivals haul in Tfresh/RSFresh WR's and we watch those cats show out every week, young talented guys put in a position to exhibit their talents on the field in a big way.

While our HC/OC still has serious "trust" issues that he can't overcome.

Yeah. Shame that Clemson couldn't decide what to do with Justyn Ross. SMDH.

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

But we know Seth Williams can play in the inside and outside! So why do you care about what the other guys are doing?

Because if skillsets of other players don't compliment what you are asking him to do it makes it easier for the defenses. If there are no complimentary pieces than the D can focus on him.

6 minutes ago, DAG said:

This is that pigeonhole mentality . 

Just the opposite actually. It's at least attempting to adjust which is the opposite of pigeonholing.

8 minutes ago, DAG said:

When you have a stud , you use him regardless of any of the other deficiencies.  That is like you have the option to get Julio Jones but then you are worried about not having a possession WR on the inside. Who cares? Play the guy. If you have to move him inside then just do it. I get it if you are evaluating a 2nd or 3rd option but your best option should be on the field regardless. Whether it is in the slot or Z position. 

I don't disagree with you. Just posting what the staff is doing & may be thinking on it.

9 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Or, you line up Seth wherever the hell you want because he can do a lot of things, and then you line up other guys at other positions because they might not be great at everything but they can be good at enough things. 

different ways of saying the same thing.

10 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Gus just won't trust them to do anything.

Very possible.

7 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Yes apparently. What I have post is something Jason Caldwell has been discussing the past month or so.

Other spring reports said the staff wasn’t very pleased with the receivers up to the spring game. Maybe that’s the key reason for the shift. A player disappointed and now it’s time for plan B.

OR

A player is showing promise and we are moving Seth inside so that he can continue racking up first downs and TDs like it’s his damn job. 

Just now, ellitor said:

Because if skillsets of other players don't compliment what you are asking him to do it makes it easier for the defenses. If there are no complimentary pieces than the D can focus on him.

Just the opposite actually. It's at least attempting to adjust which is the opposite of pigeonholing.

I don't disagree with you. Just posting what the staff is doing & may be thinking on it.

It’s not adjusting because you are basing where to put Seth Williams at on a deficiency. If you don’t have a possession WR , yet Seth Williams is still your best deep threat than why should that matter? You aren’t fooling the defense by moving him to the inside. They will still key on him. My whole point is Seth Williams is not a player you evaluated based on who compliments him. He is going to get his because he is that talented. You do that stuff with the Marquis Mclains of the world. 

12 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

There's no way we don't have 4 WRs on roster who could line up at X, Y or Z. Gus just won't trust them to do anything. It's maddening. 

Oh my god thank you!!! Maybe I was saying it all wrong 

1 minute ago, aujeff11 said:

Other spring reports said the staff wasn’t very pleased with the receivers up to the spring game. Maybe that’s the key reason for the shift. A player disappointed and now it’s time for plan B.

OR

A player is showing promise and we are moving Seth inside so that he can continue racking up first downs and TDs like it’s his damn job. 

Farrar may have to come on outside for Seth to stay inside.

And @ellitor I am not yelling at you . I understand you are being the devils advocate here , but if this is gus thinking which seems to be so, my goodness...

Archived