Offensive Production & WR Use

ellitor

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

It’s not adjusting because you are basing where to put Seth Williams at on a deficiency. If you don’t have a possession WR , yet Seth Williams is still your best deep threat than why should that matter? You aren’t fooling the defense by moving him to the inside. They will still key on him. My whole point is Seth Williams is not a player you evaluated based on who compliments him. He is going to get his because he is that talented. You do that stuff with the Marquis Mclains of the world. 

He is also your best inside guy so the staff has to decide where the best place to put him & is it more important for him to be a deep threat or an inside guy.

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, ellitor said:

Farrar may have to come on outside for Seth to stay inside.

I’m hoping Farrar can. SW has a special knack for making clutch catches for first down and TD catches per stat’s numbers. 

1 minute ago, DAG said:

And @ellitor I am not yelling at you . I understand you are being the devils advocate here , but if this is gus thinking which seems to be so, my goodness...

I KNOW YOU ARE NOT YELLING AT ME BROTHER!

😁

Just now, ellitor said:

He is also your best inside guy so the staff has to decide where the best place to put him & is it more important for him to be a deep threat or an inside guy.

I love you , E but do you see how that is pigeonholing someone ? It doesn’t matter. If you need a deep pass then you line him up there . If you need a slant route then you line him up there. It doesn’t have to be an either or with him. What’s important is getting him the ball so he can make a play, not covering up your perceived deficiency .

1 minute ago, DAG said:

I love you , E but do you see how that is pigeonholing someone ? It doesn’t matter. If you need a deep pass then you line him up there . If you need a slant route then you line him up there. It doesn’t have to be an either or with him. What’s important is getting him the ball so he can make a play, not covering up your perceived deficiency .

Our system isn’t that sophisticated is the main problem. Like big whiskey said, it’s simple to help pace. 

5 minutes ago, DAG said:

I see the dilemma  now. We were talking different things. You were thinking play by play & I was talking overall use. Yes I agree on moving him around based on play & situation. Not sure how that would work with using pace though.

1 minute ago, aujeff11 said:

Our system isn’t that sophisticated is the main problem. Like big whiskey said, it’s simple to help pace. 

That is the big issue! We can’t gameplan to disguise unfortunately 

6 minutes ago, DAG said:

That is the big issue! We can’t gameplan to disguise unfortunately 

Seth's versatile abilities should be an advantage to Gus' offense, which is supposed to be run fast and not sub...so WRs, RBs, and HBs that can run different routes and line up all over the field should be what we're after.  Saying we need a possession receiver or we need a 3rd and 10 guy is a contrary approach.

56 minutes ago, ellitor said:

It how to fit his skills with the other WRs on roster. They shouldn't have to be in this situation but are.

With regard to Gus’ obsession with the WR position, I think he thinks too much.

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

I see the dilemma  now. We were talking different things. You were thinking play by play & I was talking overall use. Yes I agree on moving him around based on play & situation. Not sure how that would work with using pace though.

Hopefully we can get some production from Mathew Hill on deep routes to take some pressure off SW.

2 hours ago, DAG said:

:bow:

Put that son of a gun all over the place, show some diversity so the damn defense isn't calling our plays based on personnel groupings.  Good Lord, this offense has to break the tendencies and quit being so predictable.

3 hours ago, DAG said:

It’s not adjusting because you are basing where to put Seth Williams at on a deficiency. If you don’t have a possession WR , yet Seth Williams is still your best deep threat than why should that matter? You aren’t fooling the defense by moving him to the inside. They will still key on him. My whole point is Seth Williams is not a player you evaluated based on who compliments him. He is going to get his because he is that talented. You do that stuff with the Marquis Mclains of the world. 

Seth will get his...he has talent to snap the ball, take the snap and drop back, block a blitzing  LB that is after him, throw a bomb, run down field and catch it, while filling the water coolers in the mean time. SW is a stud and should be used as such regardless of where he lines up

2 hours ago, AUDevil said:

Seth's versatile abilities should be an advantage to Gus' offense, which is supposed to be run fast and not sub...so WRs, RBs, and HBs that can run different routes and line up all over the field should be what we're after.  Saying we need a possession receiver or we need a 3rd and 10 guy is a contrary approach.

^^^^^^^^This

32 minutes ago, keesler said:

:bow:

Put that son of a gun all over the place, show some diversity so the damn defense isn't calling our plays based on personnel groupings.  Good Lord, this offense has to break the tendencies and quit being so predictable.

^^^^^This, too!. Speaking of if I see us with the RB 1 1/2 yds behind on every run play and 1/2 yd back on pass plays in the opener I am going to have a come apart.

3 hours ago, ellitor said:

is it more important for him to be a deep threat or an inside guy.

Is it just me? Schwarz showed last year that he could run a route and also catch the ball.  Now can anyone explain to me why arguably the fastest player in the ENTIRE nation is NOT our deep threat?:dunno:

1 hour ago, AURex said:

Talking about WRs has to do with needing a dominant defense because ....

Because if this defense is going to be dominant, they're going to need more help from the offense than they've gotten the last 4 years. 

1 hour ago, oracle79 said:

Is it just me? Schwarz showed last year that he could run a route and also catch the ball.  Now can anyone explain to me why arguably the fastest player in the ENTIRE nation is NOT our deep threat?:dunno:

Because there's more to beating coverage than raw speed? IDK.

1 hour ago, oracle79 said:

Agreed. I hate to say it, but Bama is really great at this. When they have a speedster like Cooper or Jeudy, the seem to constantly get them in open space for deep balls. We need to steal their notes. 

7 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Much of that was a direct result of the offense refusing to move the ball, score points, or even stay on the field for more than a minute of game time. Go back and look closely at the drive charts for the MSU game. The defense quickly gave the ball right back to the offense with good field position several times. Look at how the offense responded.

The defense will be just fine if they get any help whatsoever from the offense. 

We'll make some youthful mistakes at LB but I agree with those who say that we are now more talented than we were last year. Both corners are locked down if the ones stay healthy. Defensive line will be fantastic. 

Safety's an issue. Need a rush end to step up. Might get some real help from a freshman. 

Dammit, Richard Jibunor. DAMMIT!

never claimed the offense was good....but defense needed to be good …

MSU game.....they had 11 possessions and were held to 3 and out only two times....which was about the same as  they held AU.      The OP was about defense.....and guess you missed the game or forgot how they ripped up the middle of our line catching  LBs going the wrong way.  Defense could be good at times, very good at times...but needed to be more consistent.  JMO

8 minutes ago, AU64 said:

MSU game.....they had 11 possessions and were held to 3 and out only two times....which was about the same as  they held AU.      The OP was about defense.....and guess you missed the game or forgot how they ripped up the middle of our line catching  LBs going the wrong way.  Defense could be good at times, very good at times...but needed to be more consistent.  JMO

The vortex has opened up one too many times on this subject and, in particular, that game. No real conversation is going on. Someone even called sure handed Ryan Davis a “Gus guy.” See the clues. Let them let it go.

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

Many, including myself have mentioned that the D needed to be more consistent, among other things, gap integrity, one on one coverage, etc, we need to be more consistent in those areas, that’s forsure.. However, in the game mentioned, out of 11 AU drives, 7 were 6 plays or less. Four of those 7 went for 20 yards or less, 6 of the 7 were less than 2:00 TOP. It was still 16-9 fairly late in that ball game. Do I think the D could have had a better game? Definitely, but if the O keeps playing at that clip, be prepared for another 8-5 year, regardless of how the D improves. I’m keeping the faith that the O will improve.

11 hours ago, McLoofus said:

-I'll eat my hat if Worm isn't a better college RB than Grant. We already know he's as fast. And I am a HUGE Grant fan. 
-I'll also eat my hat if we don't have at least 2 WRs better than Coates and Louis.

I got the Mrs. Dash on standby. 

10 hours ago, ellitor said:

Ok. Now you're just beating a dead horse. We have not talked about that in a few posts. I have already had a cordial understanding with you. What else do you want?

Just making sure it’s understood Duke Williams indeed played in the opener, a game Gus’ offense failed to score 30.  And currently, we don’t have a WR better than he, Coates or Louis.

10 hours ago, DAG said:

Bo Nix is a five star QB. Is it unheard of to be upended by a five star QB? With that being said , Gatewood still has potential to be better than NM at the QB position. I love Nick Marshall. Vastly underrated here during his tenure but even hitting his apex at AU he was never going to play QB at the next level. I feel, that IF (and this is a very big if) both gatewood or nix play at the highest level, there is no question they can do a lot of great things at Auburn and play at the next level! 

Agreed with all except I don’t see Gatewood playing in the league. Neither did I see Marshall either. Nix .. absolutely. 

👆🏾 I don't know about y'all but seeing this guy say that pretty much guarantees that Joey is going to the league and we at least have a wr better than Sammy and Ricardo....I'm feeling pretty good

2 hours ago, AU64 said:

I didn't miss anything. You, on the other hand, fail to understand much at all about that game. Don't worry, your agenda is shared by others.

Archived