Offensive Production & WR Use

ellitor

2 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

Our defense, especially the front 7, will have to carry us early this year when the offense is trying to work things out.

The O should put up 30-40+ in the first game against Oregon. Also aTm is not returning much on D so we should score quite a bit there as well.

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, ellitor said:

The O should put up 30-40+ in the first game against Oregon. Also aTm is not returning much on D so we should score quite a bit there as well.

So we can book it then? the O will click right out of the gate?

1 hour ago, ChltteTiger said:

So we can book it then? the O will click right out of the gate?

Not necessarily. The Duck D is that horrid & aTm D that young.

7 hours ago, ellitor said:

The O should put up 30-40+ in the first game against Oregon.

When’s the last time Gus’ offense put up 30-40 on a P5 in an opener? When Marshall, CAP, Grant, Coates, Williams and Louis were playing? Is there anyone currently on the roster as good as any of those at their respective positions? I would strongly argue no. 

2 hours ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

When’s the last time Gus’ offense put up 30-40 on a P5 in an opener? When Marshall, CAP, Grant, Coates, Williams and Louis were playing? Is there anyone currently on the roster as good as any of those at their respective positions? I would strongly argue no. 

Again the opponent has to be factored in, Specifically their defense. Unless Oregon’s defense has improved a lot it’s horrid and there’s no reason we shouldn’t be able to score 30+ on them. Our offensive talent shouldn’t have to be as good as that team you mentioned to be able to score 30+ on the duckies.

Also you have the wrong year on the Auburn roster. You’re thinking of the 2014 roster when it’s actually the 2015 roster where we scored 31 against Louisville.   The only player you mentioned still on roster was Rico Louis. The quarterback was Jeremy Johnson and there’s no way I would take him over Joey or Bo even at this point in their young careers. The running back‘s were Peyton Barber (Who was nowhere near as good in college as he is now) Jovin Robinson, Roc Thomas and Kerryon Johnson (who hadn’t really gotten going yet). 

3 hours ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

I have no doubt that our WRs corps are just as talented than those two especiallay Seth Williams. JG has potential to be a true DT - QB so yes he has potential to be as good or even better than NM. RB is questionable. 

57 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Again the opponent has to be factored in, Specifically their defense. Unless Oregon’s defense has improved a lot it’s horrid and there’s no reason we shouldn’t be able to score 30+ on them. Our offensive talent shouldn’t have to be as good as that team you mentioned to be able to score 30+ on the duckies.

Also you have the wrong year on the Auburn roster. You’re thinking of the 2014 roster when it’s actually the 2015 roster where we scored 31 against Louisville.   The only player you mentioned still on roster was Rico Louis. The quarterback was Jeremy Johnson and there’s no way I would take him over Joey or Bo even at this point in their young careers. The running back‘s were Peyton Barber (Who was nowhere near as good in college as he is now) Jovin Robinson, Roc Thomas and Kerryon Johnson (who hadn’t really gotten going yet). 

Ha! I knew someone would fall for 2015!

“Gus’ offense”

Gus’ offense scored 24 on Louisville. The other TD was a scoop n score. 

BTW - Duke Williams played against Louisville. 

C’mon ell .. ur slippin in your old age!

Also, Gus’ offense only scored 24 against WSU in 2013. Tre Mason returned a kick for a TD. 

You may be right, we may score 30-40 on Oregon, but I just don’t see Gus’ offense alone doing it. Maybe Schwartz returns a kick and we get a defensive score. 

20 minutes ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

BTW - Duke Williams played against Louisville. 

C’mon ell .. ur slippin in your old age!

Nope. Just went off the 2015 roster from the official AU site. They have removed him from the roster & there's no way I would have remembered if he was still with the team then or not.

22 minutes ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

Gus’ offense scored 24 on Louisville. The other TD was a scoop n score. 

Good catch.

23 minutes ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

You may be right, we may score 30-40 on Oregon, but I just don’t see Gus’ offense alone doing it. Maybe Schwartz returns a kick and we get a defensive score. 

We may not but we should.

4 hours ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

When’s the last time Gus’ offense put up 30-40 on a P5 in an opener?

Just win, baby!

When Marshall, CAP, Grant, Coates, Williams and Louis were playing? Is there anyone currently on the roster as good as any of those at their respective positions?

How are we supposed to know this? You cannot argue this just because we don’t know how the careers of our current players will pan out.

Marshall: TBD

Cap: TBD

Grant: yeah probably 

Williams: yeah probably. 2015 Williams didn’t even have an impact. 

Coates: yeah probably 

Louis: yeah probably 

1 hour ago, DAG said:

I have no doubt that our WRs corps are just as talented than those two especiallay Seth Williams. JG has potential to be a true DT - QB so yes he has potential to be as good or even better than NM. RB is questionable. 

Man you had me saying maybe until you said better than NM. Gatewood may not even start or could be benched at any time in favor of Nix. Marshall was a freak from day one and in my book, the 2nd best QB to ever play at AU.

Not only a freak toting it, but he owns the single game passing record .. against the 2014 SEC Champions .. on their field .. more than Sullivan, White, Craig, Campbell and Cam ever did in a single game. For Gatewood to surpass all of that, I just cannot fathom it. 

I'm not saying we'll score 30 on Oregon, but we could and should easily be better or at least as good at several of those positions. 

-I'll eat my hat if Worm isn't a better college RB than Grant. We already know he's as fast. And I am a HUGE Grant fan. 
-I'll also eat my hat if we don't have at least 2 WRs better than Coates and Louis. And Seth Williams might be better than Duke Williams. He's easily more athletic.
-CAP? Very possible that we have a couple RBs better than him. But not week 1 against Oregon. I'll give you that. 

I'm not sure if we have anyone quite as good as CJ Uzomah. Out of everyone you mentioned, CJ is the most viable NFL player. 

After Marshall, though, you didn't name the most important player on that 2014 offense that we don't have anything like now- Reese Dismukes. 

54 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Just win, baby!

How are we supposed to know this? You cannot argue this just because we don’t know how the careers of our current players will pan out.

Marshall: TBD

Cap: TBD

Grant: yeah probably 

Williams: yeah probably. 2015 Williams didn’t even have an impact. 

Coates: yeah probably 

Louis: yeah probably 

That’s why I said “currently”

7 minutes ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

That’s why I said “currently”

And that’s why I said TBD. 

11 minutes ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

Yep. 

https://auburn_ftp.sidearmsports.com/custompages/sports/m-footbl/stats/2015-2016/au01.html

Louisville vs #6 Auburn

RECEIVING  No.  Yds 

D. Williams  3 40 

Was referring to him not being on this list. Had no plans to look at a game log.

13 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Was referring to him not being on this list. Had no plans to look at a game log.

“When’s the last time Gus’ offense put up 30-40 on a P5 in an opener?”

The opener was Louisville. 

16 minutes ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

“When’s the last time Gus’ offense put up 30-40 on a P5 in an opener?”

The opener was Louisville. 

Ok. Now you're just beating a dead horse. We have not talked about that in a few posts. I have already had a cordial understanding with you. What else do you want?

13 hours ago, ellitor said:

Yup! Even Bama doesn't expect to win games at a 17-10 clip anymore & they still have great Ds. Also if we get back to pace as it's being talked about there won't be many low scoring games available.

Yep. Have to give Nick credit here. He has adjusted his game as the game evolves.

The O has to help the D. The rules are set up in favor of the O. The day's of relying on the D to win game after game are gone for the foreseeable future. Gus is a offensive minded coach. His offense have top start producing at a constant rate. 

51 minutes ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

Man you had me saying maybe until you said better than NM. Gatewood may not even start or could be benched at any time in favor of Nix. Marshall was a freak from day one and in my book, the 2nd best QB to ever play at AU.

Not only a freak toting it, but he owns the single game passing record .. against the 2014 SEC Champions .. on their field .. more than Sullivan, White, Craig, Campbell and Cam ever did in a single game. For Gatewood to surpass all of that, I just cannot fathom it. 

Bo Nix is a five star QB. Is it unheard of to be upended by a five star QB? With that being said , Gatewood still has potential to be better than NM at the QB position. I love Nick Marshall. Vastly underrated here during his tenure but even hitting his apex at AU he was never going to play QB at the next level. I feel, that IF (and this is a very big if) both gatewood or nix play at the highest level, there is no question they can do a lot of great things at Auburn and play at the next level! 

2 hours ago, DAG said:

AU has two glaring weaknesses that teams know for certain to start the year. Possession receiver and a good rush end. Have to find the reciver that Joey can rely on when needed. There is a reason AU was looking to add two more WR's if they could from either JUCO or transfers.

Just now, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

AU has two glaring weaknesses that teams know for certain to start the year. Possession receiver and a good rush end. Have to find the reciver that Joey can rely on when needed. There is a reason AU was looking to add two more WR's if they could from either JUCO or transfers.

Well that WR should be Seth Williams , no? I think there are also a lot of young WRs who I think can get it done. I don’t see how the Arkansas WR would be more reliable than the untapped talent we got now and we got lots of talent. It is time to start utilizing it. The USC guy had lots of speed that’s for sure. 

1 minute ago, DAG said:

Well that WR should be Seth Williams , no? I think there are also a lot of young WRs who I think can get it done. I don’t see how the Arkansas WR would be more reliable than the untapped talent we got now and we got lots of talent. It is time to start utilizing it. The USC guy had lots of speed that’s for sure. 

You would think so. But right now who knows.

4 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

There is a reason AU was looking to add two more WR's if they could from either JUCO or transfers.

Interesting. I only knew they wanted one, in which we got in Farrar.

Just now, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

You would think so. But right now who knows.

If they allow Schwartz to run routes and not just sweeps, he could fill the deep role opening up the possession role for Hill, Seth, or Will.

Archived