Fall Camp: Practice 3 Oservations & Notes

WFE12

Idk if the OL will be worth anything come the 31st but I really do believe if game time Joey is game time Joey, we’ll spank Oregon. Ever since I looked at their stats and record, I really can’t respect their defense. We SHOULD be able to run the read option all day 

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Barnacle said:

Thank God for Tulane and Kent State. I know some people don't believe that there's much to be gained from playing these teams, but I think they are going to be extremely important for our young quarterback - and other young players. Reps are reps. Think about it from just a communication standpoint. We're breaking in new signal callers on both sides of the ball. 

Who doesn’t think this ? Lol

QBs should have a great amount of reps those games. Reps should be divvied up for RBs and Hastings should probably sit. 

29 minutes ago, DAG said:

Who doesn’t think this ? Lol

I was thinking about everyone who believes we should cut out those games and move to a nine game SEC schedule. Seems to be a hot topic these days.

25 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

I was thinking about everyone who believes we should cut out those games and move to a nine game SEC schedule. Seems to be a hot topic these days.

That’s fair but I don’t think moving to a nine sec game would cut tune up games like this as much as making the balance across the conference equal among teams. A lot of times don’t get to face each other for that reason. That’s a whole different discussion though .

1 minute ago, DAG said:

That’s fair but I don’t think moving to a nine sec game would cut tune up games like this as much as making the balance across the conference equal among teams. A lot of times don’t get to face each other for that reason. That’s a whole different discussion though .

How would it not cut tune up games? If we play a 10 game regular season, it would cut games like these from 3 to 1, or at least that's my understanding. 

1 minute ago, Barnacle said:

How would it not cut tune up games? If we play a 10 game regular season, it would cut games like these from 3 to 1, or at least that's my understanding. 

Or you could cut Oregon 

9 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

I don’t know how accurate it would be going from 3 to 1 but I don’t think the issue is playing the Tulane’s of the world. It is more so playing the citadels and Alabama states of the world. The 9 game schedule is more for getting rid of that game to see more cross divisional completion like Auburn vs Florida. 

Just now, DAG said:

Or you could cut Oregon 

That's true, but I think most people/coaches making the argument are asking for an entire schedule of Power 5 opponents. I don't agree with that, but that's the prevailing sentiment. In any event, people like that - notably Nick Saban - are who I was referring to. 

5 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

That's true, but I think most people/coaches making the argument are asking for an entire schedule of Power 5 opponents. I don't agree with that, but that's the prevailing sentiment. In any event, people like that - notably Nick Saban - are who I was referring to. 

Yes I don’t have the data in front of me but yes I do think coaches don’t like the idea of playing teams like the ones I cited above. I don’t think the idea is you have to play tOSU and then go through the SEC gauntlet . I think the idea is why are we playing Alabama state? Why not play Troy? I got to do more research on it but that is what I think was the bigger issue. 

Edit: you are right about Saban believing this which is kind of hypocritical on his part. I do agree about the attendance factor though and teams needing to face each other more in the SEC.

I read that Saban also wants an RPI system versus the six game to be eligible for bowl games. Interesting enough Gus also wants to move to this nine game schedule 

I agree with Nick and Gus, something has to change and a 9 game conference schedule would help attendance IMO.

Folks aren't packing out the stadiums for the cupcakes and it will only get worse.  Sorry, but Samford/Kent St/NMexSt/Liberty/GaSouthern/AlaState aren't getting me in my seats.  I always just give my tickets to the neighbors so they can take their grandkids for a fun, low-key family day in Auburn.

3 minutes ago, keesler said:

I agree with Nick and Gus, something has to change and a 9 game conference schedule would help attendance IMO.

Folks aren't packing out the stadiums for the cupcakes and it will only get worse.  Sorry, but Samford/Kent St/NMexSt/Liberty/GaSouthern/AlaState aren't getting me in my seats.  I always just give my tickets to the neighbors so they can take their grandkids for a fun, low-key family day in Auburn.

Personally for me, I am just excited to see us play UF. One of my best friends is a UF fan and we can't wait to just talk crap and see our teams play competitively. The idea of a nine game schedule is to help with this also. And I am personally excited for this seasons schedule. I like to think the players are too. 

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

Personally for me, I am just excited to see us play UF. One of my best friends is a UF fan and we can't wait to just talk crap and see our teams play competitively. The idea of a nine game schedule is to help with this also. And I am personally excited for this seasons schedule. I like to think the players are too. 

This year is a huge opportunity for our guys, they can prove an awful lot to the entire nation on the big stage nearly every week.:wareagle:

2 minutes ago, keesler said:

I dunno. There are lots of ways to boost attendance for seemingly less attractive games. I went to a Savannah Bananas game the other night. They sell out every single game because tickets are affordable and they load the experience up with entertainment. It's like a big festival where baseball game breaks out. Arthur Blank has kept concessions very affordable and made the game day experience at the Benz so nice that they're actually having trouble keeping people in their seats during Falcons and United games. (But they aren't having any trouble filling those seats.)

If Auburn and other schools really want to fill their stadiums back up, they need to consider making the games a more fan-friendly experience. There are ways to do it other than putting the players and coaches through a life or death battle every week. IMO. 

Also, aren't the cupcake games a fun time to see backups play, see a bunch of points scored, see things like KJ switching fields for a crazy long touchdown against Arky St, etc? And to just relax and unclench the cheeks for the last quarter for a change? Maybe I've just gotten weak the last 10 years. 

7 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

So what’s going on with Schwartz’s hand? 

Gotta wait for the official word from the players and coaches. Can’t disclose without permission. Remember that it’s this time of year that stuff happens. Not all of it football related. 

7 hours ago, abw0004 said:

How do you fell about our linebacker corps?

Do you mind expanding on the worry of pass rush?  I did expect for that to be a deficiency this year.  

Edge rusher. Can we get to qb consistently?

Lbs athletic but gonna make mistakes. Pappoe is going to be great, but don’t expect the kind of consistency we’ve had over the last couple years.

10 minutes ago, keesler said:

This year is a huge opportunity for our guys, they can prove an awful lot to the entire nation on the big stage nearly every week.:wareagle:

Yep! That is the whole point. Fan perspective vs player perspective, IMO. Players want to play the best more so than not, especially if you are a highly competitive. It is cool to get the third and fourth stringers in for the Alabama States of the world, for sure. 

Also comparing Atlanta Falcons newly billion dollar stadium to the likes of Jordan-hare when we play Bama State?

giphy.gif

3 hours ago, passthebiscuits said:

Gotta wait for the official word from the players and coaches. Can’t disclose without permission. Remember that it’s this time of year that stuff happens. Not all of it football related. 

This man understands HIPAA!

12 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

Remember that it’s this time of year that stuff happens. Not all of it football related. 

I gotcha...probably hurt it carrying around too many books, studying ahead, and getting ready for his fall classes

32 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I dunno. There are lots of ways to boost attendance for seemingly less attractive games. I went to a Savannah Bananas game the other night. They sell out every single game because tickets are affordable and they load the experience up with entertainment. It's like a big festival where baseball game breaks out. Arthur Blank has kept concessions very affordable and made the game day experience at the Benz so nice that they're actually having trouble keeping people in their seats during Falcons and United games. (But they aren't having any trouble filling those seats.)

If Auburn and other schools really want to fill their stadiums back up, they need to consider making the games a more fan-friendly experience. There are ways to do it other than putting the players and coaches through a life or death battle every week. IMO. 

Also, aren't the cupcake games a fun time to see backups play, see a bunch of points scored, see things like KJ switching fields for a crazy long touchdown against Arky St, etc? And to just relax and unclench the cheeks for the last quarter for a change? Maybe I've just gotten weak the last 10 years. 

I think they are great. Not sure about two in a row, but this year it's going to be super helpful. Agreed about fan experiences. You know there was one way to boost revenue that we talked about this summer. What was it again? Oh yeah. BEER. 

5 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

I think they are great. Not sure about two in a row, but this year it's going to be super helpful. Agreed about fan experiences. You know there was one way to boost revenue that we talked about this summer. What was it again? Oh yeah. BEER. 

Out of reactions but *love*.

Seriously though. What Auburn can do *right now* is figure out how to make JHS a place where Auburn fans want to go spend time. Not just pay a ton of money to sweat it up the ramparts to get to their uncomfortable seats, go to dumpy bathrooms, overpay for mediocre concessions, and hopefully watch a decent game without melting, freezing or getting drenched by rain. Now, some of that might have changed in the last couple years, but that's how I remember it. Doesn't have to be that way. It's okay if people like the stadium for reasons other than what happens on the field. 

Oregon’s DL doesn’t scare me at all. Their defense as a whole doesn’t impress me honestly. From what I’ve heard, the OL should be improved this year. Marcello just went on air and said we have better pass rushers than last year. LB seems to be the biggest question on defense right now. But good news is we have one of the best coaches in the nation at that position 

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

Seriously though. What Auburn can do *right now* is figure out how to make JHS a place where Auburn fans want to go spend time. Not just pay a ton of money to sweat it up the ramparts to get to their uncomfortable seats, go to dumpy bathrooms, overpay for mediocre concessions, and hopefully watch a decent game without melting, freezing or getting drenched by rain. Now, some of that might have changed in the last couple years, but that's how I remember it. Doesn't have to be that way. It's okay if people like the stadium for reasons other than what happens on the field. 

Could be as simple as making sure there is cold water available in the stadium after the first quarter. See LSU game last year. 

Beer is a no-brainer for me. Improved concessions and bathrooms are too. I think it would do well to create some "lounge" areas where people can escape from the heat for a moment, take a seat with a beverage and food and watch the game on some big TVs. Maybe even figure out a way to show other SEC games being played at the same time. That's one huge advantage to watching at home that you lose in the stadium. 

I don't know that there's room anywhere in the stadium to do this, but sure would be nice to create some sort of family friendly, standing room only area that is contained, offers some amusement for kids, had its own concessions and restrooms was offered at a discounted price. They have places like these in baseball stadiums, but again maybe there isn't any room/feasibility in JHS.

7 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Just to offer another perspective...We (the med community) are already busting at the seams under the stadium in the area where we let those who have had too many drinks are convalescing. We treat many in the ER (many under 21) who have nearly drunk themselves into a coma. We can’t even figure out who has a student ID reliably, how are we going to insure that they won’t buy beer at the stadium. Furthermore, will the stadium/university be sued for overserving if there is a bad outcome. What about their drive home? 

Im not against the sell of beverages at the game, but it’s not a simple move without consequence. 

Archived