Fall Camp: Practice 3 Oservations & Notes

WFE12

1 hour ago, tigerman1186 said:

Like the reports so far....'no head spinning' quotes, maybe our true freshman are head of previous years...

Probably not spinning as much because Joey redshirted and Bo was an early enrollee.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, DAG said:

He made plays. Lol. I don’t even know how to take that 

Hey man anything I can get rn lol!

Whatever option allows us to keep both qb's I'm with it. Bo wins and keeps the job...Joey leaves. I don't want Joey to leave.

Gatewood looking great. Obvious leader for the team. WR group 1 look incredible. Offensive line Driscoll still a concern IMO. RBs are awesome. 

Defense, young and going to make some coverage mistakes. Worried about pass rush. DBs thin. Noah is my favorite player. 

Carlson looks more confident. Should be interesting with punt returns. Probably Tutt as he looks comfortable.

looking okay on injuries. Knock on wood.

I feel that, unlike other true Freshmen, we have an idea of how good Bo Nix is. And if Joey Gatewood gets the start, then that's great news because it means he's that much better than what we think Bo Nix is.

So I guess my takeaway is: I feel good if Nix is the starter, but I feel even better if Gatewood can notch ahead.

4 hours ago, passthebiscuits said:

Gatewood looking great. Obvious leader for the team. WR group 1 look incredible. Offensive line Driscoll still a concern IMO. RBs are awesome. 

Defense, young and going to make some coverage mistakes. Worried about pass rush. DBs thin. Noah is my favorite player. 

Carlson looks more confident. Should be interesting with punt returns. Probably Tutt as he looks comfortable.

Worried about pass rush? Not good 

5 hours ago, passthebiscuits said:

How do you fell about our linebacker corps?

Do you mind expanding on the worry of pass rush?  I did expect for that to be a deficiency this year.  

10 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Id eat my pillow if Bo starts game 1. Glad to see the Malik move that shouldve been made like 2 years ago has finally been done though

Feathers or foam?

5 hours ago, passthebiscuits said:

So what’s going on with Schwartz’s hand? 

3 hours ago, DAG said:

Worried about pass rush? Not good 

Jubinor's ability is being missed is my guess. Hopefully things will work out for him at Troy.

8 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Jubinor's ability is being missed is my guess. Hopefully things will work out for him at Troy.

RJ was a big loss. I know it’s hard for Freshmen to contribute on the D-line, but I’m hoping between Colby Wooden, and the Mississippi guys Hall/Moore/Handy, a couple of them can get after the QB.  

23 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Jubinor's ability is being missed is my guess

My guess as well. He looked to have elite speed, just needed to add some weight.

On a separate note, does anyone know if the QB's will go live during the scrimmage on Thursday, as in able to run and be tackled? 

36 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

RJ was a big loss. I know it’s hard for Freshmen to contribute on the D-line, but I’m hoping between Colby Wooden, and the Mississippi guys Hall/Moore/Handy, a couple of them can get after the QB.  

I wasn't encouraged by Garner's comments about Moultry the other day, but I really like what I heard from one of the other players. I think he might surprise and I put my money where my mouth is in the Man Crush thread, lol. 

10 hours ago, WFE12 said:

Whatever option allows us to keep both qb's I'm with it. Bo wins and keeps the job...Joey leaves. I don't want Joey to leave.

I’d love Auburn to have the ability to limit Nix to 4 games and redshirt him. If Joey is killing it he’ll go NFL after next year and Nix will come in as a redshirt sophomore instead of a junior.

23 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

I’d love Auburn to have the ability to limit Nix to 4 games and redshirt him. If Joey is killing it he’ll go NFL after next year and Nix will come in as a redshirt sophomore instead of a junior.

And that would likely be the most strategic scenario for this year if Joey plays well. As a first-year starter with extremely limited experience, he needs all the reps he can get to be ready for the back nine of the season.  

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

And that would likely be the most strategic scenario for this year if Joey plays well. As a first-year starter with extremely limited experience, he needs all the reps he can get to be ready for the back nine of the season.  

Thank God for Tulane and Kent State. I know some people don't believe that there's much to be gained from playing these teams, but I think they are going to be extremely important for our young quarterback - and other young players. Reps are reps. Think about it from just a communication standpoint. We're breaking in new signal callers on both sides of the ball. 

2 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Thank God for Tulane and Kent State. I know some people don't believe that there's much to be gained from playing these teams, but I think they are going to be extremely important for our young quarterback - and other young players. Reps are reps. Think about it from just a communication standpoint. We're breaking in new signal callers on both sides of the ball. 

Agree, agree, agree, AGREE. 

1 hour ago, TigerFanAU said:

On a separate note, does anyone know if the QB's will go live during the scrimmage on Thursday, as in able to run and be tackled? 

Marcello said in his podcast yesterday that QBs usually are tacklable in the first scrimmage in the Fall under Gus FWIW.

We all know it takes about 4 games to really get the offense going.  Texas A&M will be breaking in a lot of new players on D.  Get past Oregon and TaMu and lets see how things are going.

55 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

We all know it takes about 4 games to really get the offense going.  Texas A&M will be breaking in a lot of new players on D.  Get past Oregon and TaMu and lets see how things are going.

I would love to see Gus start trying to implement the complete package in Game 1, and with the second team if we get far enough ahead to give them real playing time.  IF the offense has been instilled properly in Spring and Fall camp, why would he not start allowing the team to start practicing it against real opponents?  Even against cupcakes where it might not be "needed" it would allow the team to be more comfortable with it when real tests arise.

One of my big frustrations with Gus is when he puts in the second team, or just the second team QB, and handcuffs them to vanilla play calls.  It seems to me that the second team would be more comfortable with the offense when/if they are called on to substitute in or forced up due to injury.

13 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

IDK how they've looked in practice, but the throwing ability wasn't separate enough during the spring game for me to think Bo can make up the running value Joey should be able to bring. However, if Joey is just stinking up the place every practice leading up to the game, then so be it

Makes sense

Archived