Fall Camp: Practice 3 Oservations & Notes

WFE12

What Gus Malzahn said about Auburn’s 3rd day of fall camp, quarterback race

Tom Green

Auburn held practice for the third consecutive day to open the fall on Saturday as the Tigers’ quarterback competition rages on.

Coach Gus Malzahn met with the media at approximately 5:45 p.m. to discuss the last two days of practices. Below is a quick rundown of what Malzahn had to say about the last two days of practice, as well as the Tigers’ quarterback race.

GUS MALZAHN

-- Today was the first day in shells. No split practice with newcomers and veterans; everyone was together, which was good for evaluation.

-- Two more practices the next two days and then Wednesday will be off before Thursday, which marks the first fall scrimmage.

-- Emphasis today was on individual drills early, especially with first day in shells. Plenty of 11-on-11 later in practice with the first-, second- and third-team groups.

-- First-team D-line and O-line were “intense” today.

-- After a sluggish finish to Day 1, the team “finished” practice better the last two days. Good energy.

-- On athleticism of the defense: “The big thing, probably, for me is the experience. We’ve been athletic in the past, but when you got experience you can play faster and be instinctive.”

-- On importance of K.J. Britt’s leadership: “You got to have a leader.... K.J. has been that guy who has stepped up in that role (vacated by Deshaun Davis).”

-- Will Hastings is “super quick.” One of the quickest guys Malzahn has coached, and he can get open.

-- “Impressed” with the tight ends, so far. Will have more information on the position after Thursday’s scrimmage.

-- Bo Nix and Joey Gatewood are “more comfortable than they were in the spring, which should happen."

-- Malik Miller is playing the fullback role in the offense now.

-- Anything that stood out about quarterbacks today? “Wasn’t anything that stood out now, but maybe after we watch some film.”

-- Hopes to have some gut feeling about the QB after first scrimmage, as he has in years past.

-- Still no timetable for naming a quarterback, but definitely looking forward to the first scrimmage.

-- Marquis McClain is a “confident guy. He’s made plays.”

-- On Zach Farrar: “You can tell he’s got a skillset, now.”

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

Will Hastings is “super quick.” One of the quickest guys Malzahn has coached, and he can get open.

This is the man that will break out this year in the receiving corp.  My man crush,

4 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

On Zach Farrar: “You can tell he’s got a skillset, now.”

Wonderful news. I had a hunch he had one.

15 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

I know y'all see that McClain quote!!!!! It's time for him to breakout!

He made plays. Lol. I don’t even know how to take that 

Nix may have pulled ahead according to some of the au beat writers.  Scrimmage may be the end of the competition.  Malik to full back makes sense.  It’s the only way he’s going to see the field if the other backs stay healthy.  Hastings could be dangerous on crossing and underneath routes where he’ll have room to make plays with his speed.

5 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Nix may have pulled ahead according to some of the au beat writers.  Scrimmage may be the end of the competition.  Malik to full back makes sense.  It’s the only way he’s going to see the field if the other backs stay healthy.  Hastings could be dangerous on crossing and underneath routes where he’ll have room to make plays with his speed.

What are these beat writers saying ?

7 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Please share with us. 

It’s good to see they have Malik at fullback. He’s shown the ability to get the tough short yards, have good hands, and pass block. Good move, hope it works 

7 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Id eat my pillow if Bo starts game 1. Glad to see the Malik move that shouldve been made like 2 years ago has finally been done though

Interesting, please flesh out the Bo/game 1 part of this.

54 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

tenor.gif

35 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Hastings could be dangerous on crossing and underneath routes where he’ll have room to make plays with his speed.

Have to throw them when they're there. Too many times we miss the open underneath guy trying for the HR.

36 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Link please!

38 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Nix may have pulled ahead according to some of the au beat writers.  

Could you please expound on this or link it for us to read. TIA

28 minutes ago, gr82be said:

Please share with us. 

Jay Tate was mentioning that Joey was struggling with the shorter passes and wasn’t throwing a very good ball.  That was after the first practice so probably just some rust but I’ve seen a couple others indicate on Twitter that a starter may be named sooner than later and Bo has been lights out.  I’m just reading between the lines after 3 practices.  Bo may come out and throw 3 pics in the scrimmage and Joey edges ahead.  We’ll know more Thursday after the scrimmage 

• ellitor changed the title to Fall Camp: Practice 3 Oservations & Notes

Hearing a lot of good things about Farrar as well.  Could complement Seth as another big WR on the edge.

The key with the scrimmage is if Gus lets them go live.  I think he needs to in order to get the right info.  From everything the players have said, Gatewood is a different animal when he's allowed to go live.

FTR, I think either guy will be good for us.  It's the first time I've felt that way about our QB position in a long time.

43 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

I think That one poster is talking about this article which didn’t reveal anything about anyone taking a lead 

Marcello said right before fall camp on his podcast that Gus likes to announce around the 18th aka start of game 1 prep. This article was basically just a reiteration of some of those points.

50 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

The key with the scrimmage is if Gus lets them go live.  I think he needs to in order to get the right info.  From everything the players have said, Gatewood is a different animal when he's allowed to go live.

FTR, I think either guy will be good for us.  It's the first time I've felt that way about our QB position in a long time.

Agreed!

Like the reports so far....'no head spinning' quotes, maybe our true freshman are head of previous years...

1 hour ago, aucanucktiger said:

Interesting, please flesh out the Bo/game 1 part of this.

IDK how they've looked in practice, but the throwing ability wasn't separate enough during the spring game for me to think Bo can make up the running value Joey should be able to bring. However, if Joey is just stinking up the place every practice leading up to the game, then so be it

1 hour ago, Brad_ATX said:

I know teammates say whatever about whoever, but I have to think this gametime Joey persona that's been built by the roster...there's something behind that. Not underselling Bo at all, by the way

2 hours ago, WFE12 said:

2 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

This is the man that will break out this year in the receiving corp.  My man crush,

This is some quality support. Kudos to you both. I'm out of likes for the day so IOU.

:clap::bow::wedance:

Archived