Things I Think I Saw: AU vs aTm

JMR

I'd give Gus a B+ for this game. We got conservative too soon and A&M was able to figure things out and start scoring. That last TD drive was great but we needed another one of those before then for me to give the man an A. If we do this crap against LSU (again), Georgia, or Bama we're doomed in those games. In fact, if we're not doing everything we can to score every single drive against LSU, I'm not giving the man an A grade even if we win by 2 TDs or more. (Yes, I'll be happy with a win dang it, but after last year I want Burrow to regret ever coming to the SEC.)

Negatives: penalties and conservative calls in the 3rd quarter

Positives: special teams and run game/o-line play (minus an individuals lack of effort that resulted in at least two negative plays that I noted).

Nix has got to start connecting on those deep balls. This offense can be really good once that starts happening. Heck, make one or two of those against A&M and Gus probably would've gotten the A from me. Not his fault, he's not the QB, but he shoulders the results! lol ;) 

• Like 1

Im so glad we won and Love to watch Schwartz hit those corners and turn on the afterburners, but we have got to do something on Defense about those little screen pass cross routes and in -routes( whatever the are called) they were eating us alive the second half.  it was 1st down , 1st down ,1st down...... I fear any other team watching that game will figure out that weakness and hit us with those from the start. If A&M had abandoned the run earlier they may have won that one. How do we adjust for this?

""This was a strange game in terms of the officiating in the secondary.  Don't remember when I've seen as much pushing, shoving, and grabbing between defensive backs and receivers go uncalled, at least not involving teams not named Alabama.  Noah Igbinoghene led the Auburn defense with 8 solo tackles, and it seemed like he was involved in every other play." ... Agree Big Time... I have never seen such no calls on holding ever ( unless they are always on us..) Maybe this is why their pass game looked so good.. Cause they were holding so much.

Edited by Beenjammin

16 hours ago, bigbird said:

There has been such a castration of the secondary that it's almost impossible to play tight man-to-man coverage unless you play for bammer. They could call it on almost every play the way it's being called today unless you play for bammer. It was nice to see the refs let both teams play. Just my very biased opinion.

I fixed it for you Bird...

• Like 2

18 hours ago, toddc said:

I think their center was adjusting the ball(legal if doesn’t fake a snap) and trying to get us to jump, and of course we did.

Likely something like that but nobody was affected as much.....might have been anticipating the count or falling for the "hard count" cadence.   need more discipline in the future.

• Like 1

• WarTiger changed the title to Things I Think I Saw: AU vs aTm

That picture of Brown standing over Mond would make a great print!

”Domination of A Quarterback “

On 9/22/2019 at 3:35 PM, JMR said:

I thought the offensive line was improved for the second straight week. Was hard to put much value on their play last week, given the quality of Kent State as an opponent, but this week they were going against a very stout front.  They weren't perfect, but they won more individual battles than they lost.  Marquell Harrell has pretty much become our top drive blocker, and the oft-maligned Kaleb Kim has gotten better over the course of these first four games. Kim played pretty well and pretty consistently yesterday, despite a poor shotgun snap (which I saw got him officially credited with a fumble).

If you don't mind,  I'll use this for the Man Crush thread....ignoring the "despite a poor shotgun snap (which I saw got him officially credited with a fumble)" part. 🙂

Seriously though, I feel really smart today because I believe that I saw the game very similarly to you sir. 😎

War Eagle Coach!

I either overrated ATM's DL or underrated Auburn's OL before the game.

I hope it's the latter.  Coach JMR's comments certainly lead me to believe the OL is improving.  Combined with our (total) defense and our skill players, good OL play will enable a special season.

Having said that, one of the most enjoyable aspects of the game to me was the secondary's open field tackling.

Edited by homersapien
  • Like 2

Tutt's early punt return set us up for a short field for our second td. Totally changed the game at an early juncture. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

If you don't mind,  I'll use this for the Man Crush thread....ignoring the "despite a poor shotgun snap (which I saw got him officially credited with a fumble)" part. 🙂

Seriously though, I feel really smart today because I believe that I saw the game very similarly to you sir. 😎

War Eagle Coach!

And that's a mistake I can 100% live with. I'm not going to beat the guy up for a one off gaff if he's getting better at the every down fundamentals. And if he can dig down and find some nasty, maybe, just maybe we'll be okay. 

On 9/26/2019 at 2:38 PM, JwgreDeux said:

Tutt's early punt return set us up for a short field for our second td. Totally changed the game at an early juncture. 

Dude is fearless back there...

On 9/22/2019 at 7:05 PM, AUFriction said:

It seems like the refs were mostly content to just let them play the game, which I'd prefer to flags coming out every 20 seconds over anything that even resembles a penalty.

I’ve always said as long as they call it both ways, either too many or too few or somewhere in between, I’m good. It’s the damn Iron Bowl that, other than 2013, is never called that way. Kudos to Matt Austin’s crew for calling a great IB that year. Damn shame he retired. 

• Like 2