chances in the iron bowl?

KnightTiger

5 hours ago, DAG said:

Not very good. They still have a lot of talent around their young QB. Wouldn’t be the first time they overcame QB woes 

This. A lot of people are making the mistake of forgetting Saban won National Titles with Mcelroy, AJ McCarron and Jacob freaking Coker as his QBs. He went to the playoffs with Blake Simms a converted RB as his QB. It is not like we are playing Brandon Avalos or Spencer Pennington here. Also his WRs are a lot better than any of those other Saban QBs had. He has the best WR corps in the country. They still have a great OL and Harris is really starting to turn it on in the second half of the season. The demise of Bama's defense is greatly exaggerated as well. They still have one of the most talented defenses in the country. And it is not like they have to be great or even all that good vs us. LSU I would say has a similar effective defense as Bama this year. We still only scored 20 points on them. It is not anywhere easy as people are making it out to be. I expect like others have said this will be like almost every other big game Gus has had at AU sans 2013 and 17. We will look woeful on offense and our defense will break and tire out in the second half.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

This. A lot of people are making the mistake of forgetting Saban won National Titles with Mcelroy, AJ McCarron and Jacob freaking Coker as his QBs. He went to the playoffs with Blake Simms a converted RB as his QB. It is not like we are playing Brandon Avalos or Spencer Pennington here. Also his WRs are a lot better than any of those other Saban QBs had. He has the best WR corps in the country. They still have a great OL and Harris is really starting to turn it on in the second half of the season. The demise of Bama's defense is greatly exaggerated as well. They still have one of the most talented defenses in the country. And it is not like they have to be great or even all that good vs us. LSU I would say has a similar effective defense as Bama this year. We still only scored 20 points on them. It is not anywhere easy as people are making it out to be. I expect like others have said this will be like almost every other big game Gus had at AU sans 2013 and 17. We will look woeful on offense and our defense will break and tire out in the second half.

00E57F36-7A9D-48FF-BC24-A583DFCC92D3.gif

3 minutes ago, fredst said:

00E57F36-7A9D-48FF-BC24-A583DFCC92D3.gif

I AM IN!!! But Dilly is coming with us too!!! lol. We are saving him from the Gus bus!

rrtre.gif

rtyrtyyt.gif

5 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I like our chances. It won't be easy but we are due.

no. the irony is that we are due against LSU and GEORGIA. Not bama.

48 minutes ago, beaumak said:

If things like being due were a real thing we would not continue to invent new ways to lose winnable games in red stick! Lol

4 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

If things like being due were a real thing we would not continue to invent new ways to lose winnable games in red stick! Lol

stop stop stop. just stop. ........................... ha. i convinced myself this year i could deal with it. 'DEAL WITH IT'. 

its real for only us. i swear. not anybody else. except fungus...

If Mac can hit the intermediate throw, 10-20 or so yards, it's going to be a long day. Bama runs the ball more with Mac out there and we didn't look great trying to stop the intermediate throw PLUS the run against LSU, who has a worse QB running wise but a better RB. The score of this game is basically all dictated by Mac. With his less explosive throwing style, drives also could look much like LSU's last scoring drive vs ours where they're chaining plays together and killing alot of clock. 

I have completely lost faith in Gus to be able to score. His offense does not work. We will move the ball between the 30s and then stall out once we get close to the red zone. Just look at the last few games against Ole Miss (who has a terrible defense) and UGA. I mean we had a bye week before UGA and did not score the first 3 quarters. 

And one more thing... our defense is remarkable, but still we gave up 21 points to Uga. Uga's defense was on the field 80 plays and gave up 14 points. Our defense was on the field 50 plays and gave up 21 points. We just seem to give up one score too many in every big game. Like the last drive of the first half - we simply could not stop them. And no - I am not blaming the D, it just sucks that we always come up short. 

In this game I see us giving up 21-24 points again which would be their season low in points. Can we score 24? 

Nope. 

8 hours ago, beaumak said:

We are due some bounces/calls this season. We've already held two NFL 1st round draft pick QB's to less than 25 points. We scored 20 on LSU. There's a reasonable chance we win this Iron Bowl.

I think it will look at lot like the time we played them when Brody was their QB. I think our Def. will be all over them the whole game and we score points because the Def. puts us in position to. I think we win by 14 or more. I don't think they can run on us when we know that is what they will have to do for the most part.  

17 hours ago, TigerEyez13 said:

Their #22 is a freaking locomotive. If we can contain that guy, our chances are better than 50/50.

Najee... he is not human.  hes a machine... RB and WR and a ninja at that. We should double team him the whole game. I can 100% promise with Mac Jones starting, Najee is gonna be their primary target against us. Mac Jones is not a bad QB either.... Just not much play time. 

Actually expecting to win. Alabama defense is not as good as they usually are. Don't think they'll score very many on us at all. They've got playmakers but rattle that backup QB and it's game over. I like Malzahn's chances against Bammer in Jordan-Hare. He ALWAYS figures out a way to at least stay in the game against Bammer, even in 204, 2015, 2016, and 2018 up until the end. He'll pull out a lot of the stops and I think we win it.

3 hours ago, Mikey said:

We are due some bounces/calls this season. We've already held two NFL 1st round draft pick QB's to less than 25 points. We scored 20 on LSU. There's a reasonable chance we win this Iron Bowl.

I wish that those bounces would go our way. 

The problem I have is that this year's team has something missing (and it's on the offense ofc), that when they play teams we are equal to or maybe even better in different parts of the team, we don't find that offensive spark that keeps us in the lead or overcomes getting behind. We did that at LSU, but some of that is LSU making mistakes. But by the time the 4th quarter rolls around we can't surge ahead, and then let the D do it's thing.

It's simply bc of inconsistencies on offense that keeps us from winning these games this year. The only thing I feel is different in this Alabama game is it will be closer without TUA throwing 3 TDs in like 6 minutes.  

I feel good about our chances to win this game.  I made myself watch the second half of the AL vs Miss State game just to see how they performed with Matt Jones at QB.  Jones played almost the entire second half and they were only able to score a field goal in the last thirty minutes of play.  There are two aspects of Jones' play that I think give us a great opportunity defensively.  First, Jones is not a dual threat QB.  I don't remember a single time he was successful at running the football or even getting away from the Miss State pass rush.  Secondly, Jones does not have a very quick release and therefore holds the ball much longer than Tua did.   While he is a pretty accurate passer if given time to throw, he does not have the arm strength to stretch the field vertically.  Also unlike Tua, when he is under pressure, and sometimes not even that much pressure, he is not very accurate.  While he completed some passes against Miss State, he was not very consistent and Alabama found themselves punting on just about every possession.  I have a feeling that our offense will be productive in this game.

JWShewmake

Alabama's defense is not good at all, but our offense is also not any good. I think we score somewhere around 21-24 points, it's just a matter of holding them to less. 

Their wideouts are scary. A mediocre QB can still have a field day with those guys out there. It helps that they have an all American running back too. It also helps that they hold every single play. 

It's an uphill battle, but we have a chance. 

18 minutes ago, JWShewmake said:

I feel good about our chances to win this game.  I made myself watch the second half of the AL vs Miss State game just to see how they performed with Matt Jones at QB.  Jones played almost the entire second half and they were only able to score a field goal in the last thirty minutes of play.  There are two aspects of Jones' play that I think give us a great opportunity defensively.  First, Jones is not a dual threat QB.  I don't remember a single time he was successful at running the football or even getting away from the Miss State pass rush.  Secondly, Jones does not have a very quick release and therefore holds the ball much longer than Tua did.   While he is a pretty accurate passer if given time to throw, he does not have the arm strength to stretch the field vertically.  Also unlike Tua, when he is under pressure, and sometimes not even that much pressure, he is not very accurate.  While he completed some passes against Miss State, he was not very consistent and Alabama found themselves punting on just about every possession.  I have a feeling that our offense will be productive in this game.

JWShewmake

alot of that was because they pretty much had the game in hand no sense risk injuring their back up qb as well while up 31-7 to start the second half . 

Defense dominates.

Offense punts. A lot.

Bama win field position.

Bama 24

AU 13

Bama gets their final TD with 5 minutes left to break our backs.

Our chances are decent. Bama’s defense is worse than LSU’s and their offense has looked genuinely bad without Tua in. Bama likes to run more with this QB, so the key is to control the run. If we do that, I think we win the game. 

If we put up 20 on the road at LSU, I see us putting up at least that much in this game. Bama will likely break a few big plays, but I don’t see any sustained drives without their QB.

Those if you that think bama’s offense will score a lot probably haven’t watched them with the backup in. He’s really terrible.

Archived