More Alabama or Auburn fans?

BJCrawford

I did not link this entire article, but found this interesting. Proves a lot of Alabama fans just hopping on for the ride. Part of this article indicated Auburn fans hate Alabama slightly more than Alabama fans hate Auburn. I think it’s more than slightly 😊. IGTBAAT!

EA34D704-482F-409D-9D3B-32AAD02CE077.png

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Can we stop with this "you have to have gone to a school to be a fan of it" mindset? It smacks of elitism.

No one said that. Elitism? Really?

5 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Can we stop with this "you have to have gone to a school to be a fan of it" mindset? It smacks of elitism.

Ehh, BJCrawford just posted part of an article, he didn't write it. If any fan base smacks of elitism it's Bama's and it's mainly the ones with zero ties to the university. It's like the NC prints hanging on their wall are a diploma. They're not all bad but the good ones are an endangered species. 

2 hours ago, AUwent said:

I think you can pull for whoever you want. I also think that if you are smack talking someone who went to a school, while you (or immediate family) did not attend the school that you are supporting, your opinion is invalid. 

Alabama fans love Alabama football, Auburn fans love Auburn. I would imagine the higher number of AU fans that are connected to AU contribute to our mindset. 

10 minutes ago, AuburnEagle79 said:

I think you can pull for whoever you want. I also think that if you are smack talking someone who went to a school, while you (or immediate family) did not attend the school that you are supporting, your opinion is invalid. 

Alabama fans love Alabama football, Auburn fans love Auburn. I would imagine the higher number of AU fans that are connected to AU contribute to our mindset. 

So you feel that because your aunt, your parents, or your aunts cousins nephews wife attended Auburn, even though you yourself did not, that your opinion would hold more merit?

That's laughable. 

Every person's opinion holds merit and is valid. Relation to someone who attended Auburn is irrelevant if you yourself did not attend. 

Even then I dont think my opinion matters any more than 16 year old Johnny who just started liking Auburn. Neither of us are the money men that pull the strings... neither of our opinions matter where that is concerned. 

1 hour ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

So you feel that because your aunt, your parents, or your aunts cousins nephews wife attended Auburn, even though you yourself did not, that your opinion would hold more merit?

That's laughable. 

Every person's opinion holds merit and is valid. Relation to someone who attended Auburn is irrelevant if you yourself did not attend. 

Even then I dont think my opinion matters any more than 16 year old Johnny who just started liking Auburn. Neither of us are the money men that pull the strings... neither of our opinions matter where that is concerned. 

I'm leaning more along the lines of the Bammers that bully a kid with a direct family tie-in to Auburn, while the Bammers parents either went to JSU or no college at all.

Their opinion about Auburn is invalid. They have no room to say anything. If I were an Auburn fan "just because," there is no chance that I'd be downing Alabama to an alumni. 

I didn’t go to Auburn. However I am an Auburn Homer to the bone . It’s in my blood . Can’t explain it and honestly wish I didn’t care sometimes , but I do all the time . War Eagle 

10 minutes ago, JDUBB4AU said:

I didn’t go to Auburn. However I am an Auburn Homer to the bone . It’s in my blood . Can’t explain it and honestly wish I didn’t care sometimes , but I do all the time . War Eagle 

I was only at Auburn one year. They got enough money from me to say what I want to. 

1 hour ago, gr82be said:

I was only at Auburn one year. They got enough money from me to say what I want to. 

If it is only about money, then what I've spent on attending Auburn football games buys me a lot of clout!! :party:

Actually did not mean to start anything here, but it’s interesting that the short discussion here is a microcosm of the one on the Al.com article....1300 comments.   Oddly, we were Auburn fans before anyone in our family ever attended. Now, there are many Auburn graduates and none that graduated from Alabama that I am aware of.

3 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

That's laughable. 

Wrong.

I've literally had an Alabama fan who had zero affiliation with the school tell me that Bama grads were smarter because "that's who I work with".  Her opinion on anything having to do with either university was uninformed and laughable.

I had a toothless Bama fan in Walmart in Opelika tell me my education was worthless. He did so because I was wearing my AU Psychology Honor Society shirt. It poisoned me a bit on side walk fans. It’s  fine to pull for Auburn if you didn’t go there. It is not alright to be an aggressive obnoxious fan. I’m passionate as heck about Auburn because Auburn gave me a degree, a wife, lots of friends, lots of memories, and a career trajectory that ended in me getting a PhD. Things would have been very different for me if I’d gone anywhere else. I love Auburn University for what it’s given me. Sports passion is just how I express that love. When people claiming to be Auburn fans insult the anything associated with Auburn, it’s upsetting. When Auburn fans with no affiliation, represent the Auburn fan base negatively it’s upsetting. In other words, if you are a “sidewalk fan,” as long as you are supporting the school and the folks associated with and are being a good ambassador for the program, I have no quarrel with you.   

Some die hard Auburn Fans that didn't attend Auburn and go to games have been around much longer than those that have recently graduated.

With that being said, "Sidewalk Fans" as mentioned above are usually a direct result of obnoxious bammer fans.

So my question is do I have to live in New York to love support and attend Yankees games.........Do I have to have a family connection to New York?

11 minutes ago, kevon67 said:

Some die hard Auburn Fans that didn't attend Auburn and go to games have been around much longer than those that have recently graduated.

With that being said, "Sidewalk Fans" as mentioned above are usually a direct result of obnoxious bammer fans.

So my question is do I have to live in New York to love support and attend Yankees games.........Do I have to have a family connection to New York?

It’s different because the Yankees are a professional team that were created to make money off of whomever they can convince to support them. Auburn Football came into existence to improve the visibility of Auburn’s school and to improve conrodery amongst its students. That’s still the purpose of its existence today. They want to energize alumni to give to the university, and it is used to aid in the recruitment of students. As such, the Yankees want as many fans as possible. They like super fans, but will also embrace less extreme fans because fans of any type will buy merchandise and come to games. Auburn University has a different aim. The university wants highly passionate fans that are so passionate that they go there and send their kids there. They want fans that are so passionate that they donate money to the university.

1 minute ago, AUFriction said:

It’s different because the Yankees are a professional team that were created to make money off of whomever they can convince to support them. Auburn Football came into existence to improve the visibility of Auburn’s school and to improve conrodery amongst its students. That’s still the purpose of its existence today. They want to energize alumni to give to the university, and it is used to aid in the recruitment of students. As such, the Yankees want as many fans as possible. They like super fans, but will also embrace less extreme fans. Auburn University wants highly passionate fans that are so passionate that they go there and send their kids there. 

So if I lack the intelligence to attend Auburn or the funds to send my children does Auburn University not want me or my children as game attending fans?

20 minutes ago, kevon67 said:

So if I lack the intelligence to attend Auburn or the funds to send my children does Auburn University not want me or my children as game attending fans?

Auburn Athletics does. Auburn University most definitely cares substantially less. The administration cares about whatever will enhance academic and research prestige. Athletics are just a means to that goal because they help with student recruiting/visibility, and they increase alumni donations. I say this having worked for 3 universities including Auburn. Most university administrators have minimal care about athletics.

I don't understand how some took this as elitism with Auburn fans.  It was clear dig at Alabama fans with the majority not being able to go to any university.  When we call Alabama fans Updykes, it also implies they did not go to college as Harvey did not go to college, much less Alabama either.

1 hour ago, abw0004 said:

I don't understand how some took this as elitism with Auburn fans.  It was clear dig at Alabama fans with the majority not being able to go to any university.  When we call Alabama fans Updykes, it also implies they did not go to college as Harvey did not go to college, much less Alabama either.

They had got insecure because they didn’t go to Auburn or maybe even college in general and they thought it was a shot at them personally. I didn’t go to Auburn either but I definitely wasn’t triggered by it 

There's not a person on earth who has loved Auburn more than me. I did not attend Auburn because, frankly, the money wasn't there for me to do so AND I didn't exactly assert myself in school to the point of earning scholarships. 

I absolutely 'get' that those who attended Auburn feel compelled to hold that very close to their hearts with pride; I would do the same.

I can also say that the way I was accepted at Auburn events when I would attend parties with Auburn student friends only reaffirmed that, when I was 7 and chose a program to be for, I chose well.

We have always co-existed without superiority getting in the way. 

That other school cannot say that.

5 hours ago, AUFriction said:

Auburn Athletics does. Auburn University most definitely cares substantially less...

Their indifference would include you, also, no?

It has nothing to do with whether or not somebody went to college, and to suggest otherwise is the very definition of elitist. Christ, I swear some of you really need to try listening to yourselves sometime.

I had a friend from high school who went to Tulane. Came from a good family, raised upper class, obviously a good student, blah blah blah. Moved to NYC after school and married a dude from Montauk. They moved back down south about the same time that saban ascended in Turdtown. That's when I realized that she was a "die hard" bama fan. (Funny how that works.) Even worse, King Douchenozzle from Long Island had suddenly become a "die hard" bama fan, too. Both highly educated and successful. Both the absolute worst kind of "sidewalk alum". I guarantee you neither knows the words to bama's fight song. 

As for why bama has that fanbase, it's not complicated. It's been discussed a million times. In a state that's only ever been #1 in one thing, they have a legit claim to being #1 all time. Easy to see how it becomes some last place, unlucky loser's entire identity. Plenty of fan bases, organizations and communities are stocked with desperate folks just looking for purpose or meaning. But not many can claim such a stark juxtaposition. Then you add in the fact that their main rival is never too far behind and is always one coaching hire away from taking the lead... I mean, we're not even 15 years removed from the 6-win streak. Yikes. 

There's a movie called Big Fan starring Patton Oswalt that actually depicts the Updyke mindset pretty well. It's not a pleasant watch but it's spot on. 

13 hours ago, JDUBB4AU said:

Same here JDub. As long as I have been walking I been living and breathing AU sports. Through the good times and bad...thick and thin. I always will. I had a nephew that was raised in an AU family. He married an AL grad but he himself grew up an AU fan. At the age of 25...he decided he was an Alabama fan. Gave away all his AU gear. 

I asked him why and his answer was I got too tired of being stressed over losing. I wonder how many other fans of that other school are just like that. I know pre-Saban bama fans were a lot more tolerable. 

Archived