No More “War” Eagle

Zeek

3 hours ago, AUTigerTime said:

Oh i'm sure he'll be playing some games with soft balls.

Oh No You Didnt GIFs | Tenor

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

this guy is a career student.   Its not surprising that he has these ridiculous rules.    I doubt he will attend any type of sporting event that would require yelling War Eagle.  

On 5/19/2020 at 5:31 PM, 3rdgeneration said:

My son-in-law has a PhD from Auburn, but said he could never teach there, because they do not hire Auburn graduates. Does anyone know is if that is a university policy or perhaps just in certain departments?

I don't know what department it was but I have heard this too. It's called academic incest and something I'm sure quite a few schools try to avoid.

On 5/19/2020 at 5:31 PM, 3rdgeneration said:

My son-in-law has a PhD from Auburn, but said he could never teach there, because they do not hire Auburn graduates. Does anyone know is if that is a university policy or perhaps just in certain departments?

It's pretty much accepted that it's "academic suicide" to get undergraduate and both graduate degrees from the same institution. I had professors at AU, and knew several others, that were AU undergrads, went to another university for either their masters or PhD or both and returned to AU to teach. Now, that was some time back and things could have changed. However, I do think the blanket statement "Auburn doesn't hire Auburn graduates to teach" is not a universal AU policy. Some department head could have that personal policy but I'd bet money it's not down in writing.

6 minutes ago, Mikey said:

It's pretty much accepted that it's "academic suicide" to get undergraduate and both graduate degrees from the same institution. I had professors at AU, and knew several others, that were AU undergrads, went to another university for either their masters or PhD or both and returned to AU to teach. Now, that was some time back and things could have changed. However, I do think the blanket statement "Auburn doesn't hire Auburn graduates to teach" is not a universal AU policy. Some department head could have that personal policy but I'd bet money it's not down in writing.

This seems extremely archaic and backwards for a group of people who like to pretend they are very progressive and open minded. Idiotic politics truly have no borders.

On 5/19/2020 at 6:31 PM, 3rdgeneration said:

In a few departments they do hire Auburn grads (non teaching)   but ive seen first hand that some people were passed up for promotion (that were deserved) due to needing to advance other people of a different gender/ skin color.     

Ive considered working there in the past but  i wouldn't give them the time of day if they came calling. 

45 minutes ago, woodford said:

This seems extremely archaic and backwards for a group of people who like to pretend they are very progressive and open minded. Idiotic politics truly have no borders.

The practice of hiring outside talent is a way to grow and progress in your business.  If you just hire within, the institution only knows what they already know.  As an employee, you would want to get a more broad view of the world. I guess it’s just how you look at it.

52 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

The practice of hiring outside talent is a way to grow and progress in your business.  If you just hire within, the institution only knows what they already know.  As an employee, you would want to get a more broad view of the world. I guess it’s just how you look at it.

Like marriage...enough diversity within a context of right fit?  But who's to say.  #neverstoplearning

1 hour ago, ToraGirl said:

Like marriage...enough diversity within a context of right fit?  But who's to say.  #neverstoplearning

Marriage is a totally different animal, hence the phrase “I’m married to it”.  Now, dating fits right in.

9 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Marriage is a totally different animal, hence the phrase “I’m married to it”.  Now, dating fits right in.

Gotcha.  So to clarify my analogy...you can look for diversity in a partnership, but there needs to be enough core-value-buy-in to make a more lasting match. It remains to be seen if the core values match here.  Appreciating diversity solely for the point of appreciating diversity isn't as powerful as using the diversity to make an organization better...but when you get to questions of vision in an organization's direction, a newbie should come in under that mantle...not bucking it.  

3 minutes ago, ToraGirl said:

Gotcha.  So to clarify my analogy...you can look for diversity in a partnership, but there needs to be enough core-value-buy-in to make a more lasting match. It remains to be seen if the core values match here.  Appreciating diversity solely for the point of appreciating diversity isn't as powerful as using the diversity to make an organization better...but when you get to questions of vision in an organization's direction, a newbie should come in under that mantle...not bucking it.  

This is what the HR department is for.  I’m not convinced it always works out as planned.  The individual is the only one that can know how their motivations will fit in to the new organization and only if they are honest with themselves.  

On 5/29/2020 at 12:57 PM, I_M4_AU said:

This is what the HR department is for.  I’m not convinced it always works out as planned.  The individual is the only one that can know how their motivations will fit in to the new organization and only if they are honest with themselves.  

Any wise boss will wait a year before making massive changes in an organization...listening, learning, carefully planning...from those on the ground before arrival.  Context and timing are everything.  Any wise employee might do the same, if for no other reason than out of gratitude to have a job, period, especially in a stiffly competitive culture. So the individual is free to express his/her motivations as early as he/she wants...but he/she is not immune from any consequences, formal or informal, that emerge.

Onto new topics for me! 😉🦋

Archived