No More “War” Eagle

Zeek

Upon reading the takes, etc, he will definitely stir some controversy, which may or may not be his goal.

As to the whole "War Eagles" thing, my ASSUMPTION (😁) is that what he thinks about sports is that football is when the batter hits the puck into the hoop for 12 points, so I'm not sure too many people will have to hear him scream "Damn Eagle!"

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well he doesn't have to say it and that's totally his call if it bothers him. I personally don't like the "GD" word he used in another tweet, but oh well. Life goes on. Some just seem to steer for attention through controversy. Social media makes that easier than ever.

4 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I don't agree with the guy's stance on this but let's not pretend that military fetishism isn't pervasive in football culture. Where do the linemen play? "In the trenches." What do we call a long pass? A "bomb". What do we call a particularly strong throwing arm on a QB? A "cannon". We could go on for days. Again, I don't agree with the guy, but let's not pretend that things aren't what they are. 

No pretense intended. I don't like going to the doctor because he usually wants to perform an exam and then he asks me to take some kind of test of which I have to wait on the results from the lab. If I don't have the results expected on that test then I have to take additional tests...

That sounds a lot like school to me just looking at the phrasing. It's all about the connotation to me. This guy got the attention he wanted. Probably more than he wanted. 

18 minutes ago, gr82be said:

No pretense intended. I don't like going to the doctor because he usually wants to perform an exam and then he asks me to take some kind of test of which I have to wait on the results from the lab. If I don't have the results expected on that test then I have to take additional tests...

That sounds a lot like school to me just looking at the phrasing. It's all about the connotation to me. This guy got the attention he wanted. Probably more than he wanted. 

Well, except in your doctor analogy, that's all actual terminology and I'm surprised it would conjure a different connotation in a medical setting.

Things like "trenches", "cannon", and "bomb" are not technical terms. Furthermore, I'm curious if there is any other concept or genre from which football slang borrows so heavily as warfare.  

Sure, the guy knew he was being provocative. Even acknowledged that before making the provocative comment. But provocative doesn't mean insulting or, heh, combative. I mean, he specifically said that he would use other, common, pro-Auburn language instead. 

I'd really love to find some clarification on that last tweet, though. As in whether or not he really tweeted it. @Zeek, where did those images come from? They're not the actual tweets. Where'd you find them? That last one suggests a level of disrespect not shown in the previous two. I can read it as less offensive than it might seem, but I can't expect anyone else to. And, at best, it would belie lack of savvy and maturity. 

Anyone else out there wondering how the actual interview went?  🤐🙂

I know a LOT has changed since my dad was hired by AU in 1968, God rest his soul.  But the need for wisdom, discretion, and some modicum of "when in Rome" is timeless.🤐

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Your assumption here and the reactions in this thread would definitely prove him wrong about that. 

I agree with your point. I am certainly a bigot toward people who call "my people" (Auburn people) MF-er without ever having been around us. All of this is assuming that the posts are attributable to Dr. Goldberg.

3 minutes ago, Grumps said:

I agree with your point. I am certainly a bigot toward people who call "my people" (Auburn people) MF-er without ever having been around us. All of this is assuming that the posts are attributable to Dr. Goldberg.

That's fair.

Sounds like attention grabbing to me. I'll leave it at that...

Something tells me he teaches in the Liberal Arts department.  You would think someone with a PHD would know that we don't call ourselves "war eagles" and we don't say "go war eagles".  Or maybe his PHD stands for Paid for Highschool Diploma 🤔.

I feel sorry for any student in his class.  Hopefully "drop-add" is still an option these days.

Another University is Possible...………….to teach at ;) 

You guys did exactly what he wanted y’all to do. I don’t agree with the personal name calling but their seems to be a lot of emotional overreaction. This is a perfect opportunity to engage with someone from a different background, who holds a different stance.

Well...I mean, I get it. But it’s dumb. Lots of things in life get tagged with military imagery...the battle against Cancer, the war on drugs etc...it’s a fine balance.

Words have meaning, but to put too much value into words is also fool-hearted. 

I for one never say the “go to h— Alabama” chant, because even tho I despise the little turds, to me, “go to h—“ would go against my morality. Now, it’s just a phrase, it doesn’t hurt anybody, but it’s just not my philosophy. 

sounds like this guy just needs to let things go—as do we. 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Well, except in your doctor analogy, that's all actual terminology and I'm surprised it would conjure a different connotation in a medical setting.

Things like "trenches", "cannon", and "bomb" are not technical terms. Furthermore, I'm curious if there is any other concept or genre from which football slang borrows so heavily as warfare.  

Sure, the guy knew he was being provocative. Even acknowledged that before making the provocative comment. But provocative doesn't mean insulting or, heh, combative. I mean, he specifically said that he would use other, common, pro-Auburn language instead. 

I'd really love to find some clarification on that last tweet, though. As in whether or not he really tweeted it. @Zeek, where did those images come from? They're not the actual tweets. Where'd you find them? That last one suggests a level of disrespect not shown in the previous two. I can read it as less offensive than it might seem, but I can't expect anyone else to. And, at best, it would belie lack of savvy and maturity. 

After he privatized his profile people who actually followed him were sharing screen shots. The last one is him replying to one of his friends (I assume) who was cheering him on for his statement.

His last tweet is much more toxic because it came after he caught a lot of online hate (some of it disgustingly homophobic and uncalled for).

45 minutes ago, AUfan_UAgrad said:

You would think someone with a PHD would know that we don't call ourselves "war eagles" and we don't say "go war eagles".  🤔

"Is anyone here a doctor?"

"Go war eagles!"

"No, a real doctor."

I don't think that's quite how it works. Hot take, though.

52 minutes ago, DAG said:

You guys did exactly what he wanted y’all to do. I don’t agree with the personal name calling but their seems to be a lot of emotional overreaction. This is a perfect opportunity to engage with someone from a different background, who holds a different stance.

I agree!

5 minutes ago, Zeek said:

After he privatized his profile people who actually followed him were sharing screen shots. The last one is him replying to one of his friends (I assume) who was cheering him on for his statement.

His last tweet is much more toxic because it came after he caught a lot of online hate (some of it disgustingly homophobic and uncalled for).

Thanks for the clarification @Zeek

1 hour ago, ToraGirl said:

Anyone else out there wondering how the actual interview went?  🤐🙂

I know a LOT has changed since my dad was hired by AU in 1968, God rest his soul.  But the need for wisdom, discretion, and some modicum of "when in Rome" is timeless.🤐

Hoo-boy am I working on that hard.  "Rome is burning" but I need to quit helping set fires and work on "fireproofing" instead. 🙏 😊

21 minutes ago, Zeek said:

That brings a lot of clarity to the situation and makes it sound, to me, like the ugly language was targeted towards a few jerks and not towards the Auburn family in general. Which makes a lot more sense than the alternative considering that he just was offered- and accepted- a job at Auburn. 

I've got no issue with the guy or what he said. It's unfortunate that the bashing will continue.

57 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

Words have meaning, but to put too much value into words is also fool-hearted. 

Couldn't agree more. (Not that I consistently walk the walk where that's concerned.)

2 hours ago, DAG said:

You guys did exactly what he wanted y’all to do.

Slow sports week. 😉

Archived