Interesting Harvard study on police brutality

Excerpt here:

Looking back at the big questions surrounding the blame for police brutality—why it is so often attributed to white male officers and what data says about this stereotype—the consensus supported by years of studies that white and black police officers are equally likely to use force against black subjects suggests that the notion of individual police officers being racist against black subjects is not accurate throughout the nation. While individual officers’ biases may play a large role in significantly higher rates of violence against black subjects in some places, the real source of anti-black bias in other places may be of a systemic or institutional origin. Therefore, the data may point toward a need for further research into the structure and historically rooted conventions of local legal systems and law enforcement agencies. Such efforts may shed light on sources or anti-black bias that are engrained in regional institutions.

To explain why the stereotype of white male officers being responsible for police brutality exists in the minds of the public, one must consider not only the facts and figures of the present but also their historical context and significance. “History exists,” said Feldman, “and there’s a very long history in the United States of either white police officers or white vigilantes committing explicitly racist acts of violence [against black people].”

Full study here: 

https://harvardpolitics.com/online/statistical-police-investigation-viewing-police-brutality-data-driven-lens/

The black folks I grew up with hated black cops. An older black man I worked with from Maryland said the same thing. He traveled a lot. Said big city black cops were rough on him. 

I thought this was a good paragraph that captures what is likely part of the problem. 

“While individual officers’ biases may play a large role in significantly higher rates of violence against black subjects in some places, the real source of anti-black bias in other places may be of a systemic or institutional origin. Therefore, the data may point toward aneed for further research into the structure and historically rooted conventions of local legal systems and law enforcement agencies. Such efforts may shed light on sources or anti-black bias that are engrained in regional institutions.“

12 hours ago, alexava said:

The black folks I grew up with hated black cops. An older black man I worked with from Maryland said the same thing. He traveled a lot. Said big city black cops were rough on him. 

Ice Cube rapped in 1988:

But don't let it be a black and a white one
'Cause they'll slam ya down to the street top
Black police showin' out for the white cop

Again, speaks to the arbitrary and imaginary lines drawn by color as opposed to other, more important socioeconomic factors. 

Also speaks to... where does this stereotype about white cops exist? Like alexava (and Ice Cube) said, it doesn't exist in the black community. The name of the song isn't "**** tha White Police". It's not "**** White 12". It's not AWCAB. It's not Defund White Police.

Seems like a s*** stirring and race baiting OP. 

28 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Ice Cube rapped in 1988:

But don't let it be a black and a white one
'Cause they'll slam ya down to the street top
Black police showin' out for the white cop

Again, speaks to the arbitrary and imaginary lines drawn by color as opposed to other, more important socioeconomic factors. 

Also speaks to... where does this stereotype about white cops exist? Like alexava (and Ice Cube) said, it doesn't exist in the black community. The name of the song isn't "**** tha White Police". It's not "**** White 12". It's not AWCAB. It's not Defund White Police.

Seems like a s*** stirring and race baiting OP. 

The whole damn thing is race. Race baiting is a every unfair description of a Harvard study. Especially with the s*** we witness in the news every day. 

6 minutes ago, alexava said:

The whole damn thing is race. Race baiting is a every unfair description of a Harvard study. Especially with the s*** we witness in the news every day. 

I haven't seen the current conversation focus on white police being the primary perpetrators of anti-black excessive force. I have seen it focus on 1) excessive force by police, regardless of race, focused more on black people than on other races and 2) systemic racism across most institutions. (Since the protests began, several other issues have arisen. The issues concerning cops haven't focused primarily on white cops, from what I've seen.)

So I'm not sure why the OP introduces that here. I do need to offer a mea culpa, though, as I missed the "from an excerpt". 

5 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I haven't seen the current conversation focus on white police being the primary perpetrators of anti-black excessive force. I have seen it focus on 1) excessive force by police, regardless of race, focused more on black people than on other races and 2) systemic racism across most institutions. (Since the protests began, several other issues have arisen. The issues concerning cops haven't focused primarily on white cops, from what I've seen.)

So I'm not sure why the OP introduces that here. I do need to offer a mea culpa, though, as I missed the "from an excerpt". 

Have you not heard the systemic mentioned one million times in the last two weeks?

On 6/10/2020 at 10:23 AM, McLoofus said:

Social media was filled with many calling the murder of George Floyd by a white cop a racist act.  It may or may not have been a racist action. We know it was police brutality and murder and evil, but nobody yet knows if it was a racist action or not.  

2 hours ago, SocialCircle said:

Social media was filled with many calling the murder of George Floyd by a white cop a racist act.  It may or may not have been a racist action. We know it was police brutality and murder and evil, but nobody yet knows if it was a racist action or not.  

That’s possible. It was just such an egregious act I couldn’t see myself trying to deflect, defend or minimize it. 

2 hours ago, alexava said:

That’s possible. It was just such an egregious act I couldn’t see myself trying to deflect, defend or minimize it. 

I saw not one person trying to minimize it. Every single person I know thinks it was pure evil. I do see many assuming it was racism. I see others like myself who don’t know for sure and think the possibility exists that is was an evil person carrying out police brutality. 

26 minutes ago, SocialCircle said:

I saw not one person trying to minimize it. Every single person I know thinks it was pure evil. I do see many assuming it was racism. I see others like myself who don’t know for sure and think the possibility exists that is was an evil person carrying out police brutality. 

I personally think it was a nut job cop with a history of a bad temper that finally went overboard with excessive force and the brutality. 

1 hour ago, homersapien said:

Yeah, he's not racist.  He just ****** up by kneeling on a man who just happened to be black.

I mean, does this really matter? :-\

This is what I meant by my previous comment. 

16 hours ago, SocialCircle said:

In this case with other things that have come out on this cop. Where he worked as Security at a night club he treated blacks differently then other groups. So in this case it was both Police Brutality and Racism. 

There is a systemic issue which is based on socio economic factors.  There was study a few years back that I read  (I can't find it now) where a very poor large majority white area of Cleveland that was comparable to many inner city black areas with gang violence poor schools, few jobs and that area had same issues with Police. There is no doubt in my mind that Racism is a major part of the problem but even cities where the Mayor is black, the Chief of Police is black and a large percentage of the officers are black we see the same problems. 

Officers act differently in neighborhoods that have more violent crime which is often caused by bad laws that put people in jails for minor offenses, lack of opportunity because of  bad schools and few jobs. We have to fix the underlying problems of these neighborhoods while addressing bad laws and and addressing issues where police are not held accountable when they do something wrong.

27 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

In this case with other things that have come out on this cop. Where he worked as Security at a night club he treated blacks differently then other groups. So in this case it was both Police Brutality and Racism. 

There is a systemic issue which is based on socio economic factors.  There was study a few years back that I read  (I can't find it now) where a very poor large majority white area of Cleveland that was comparable to many inner city black areas with gang violence poor schools, few jobs and that area had same issues with Police. There is no doubt in my mind that Racism is a major part of the problem but even cities where the Mayor is black, the Chief of Police is black and a large percentage of the officers are black we see the same problems. 

Officers act differently in neighborhoods that have more violent crime which is often caused by bad laws that put people in jails for minor offenses, lack of opportunity because of  bad schools and few jobs. We have to fix the underlying problems of these neighborhoods while addressing bad laws and and addressing issues where police are not held accountable when they do something wrong.

Imagine how much this would help:

Obama, O. Winfrey, L. James, and Spike Lee have a campaign to get the word out about two things. They run commercials everywhere and visit many communities pushing for just two things. Number one is fathers need to be responsible and stay and support their children. Number two is to stay in school.  

You address just these two issues and it would do more good than anything else I can think of. 

On 6/12/2020 at 8:54 AM, AuburnNTexas said:

I posted a stat recently showing that poor whites are more likely to commit a violent crime than poor blacks. Which shouldn't surprise anyone, but I bet that it does.

I wonder if someone is going to get fired at "Harvard"?

Nobody on the Left wants to have an honest conversation... they just Trump to lose... so statues of Washington and Grant are torn down, so somebody gets killed ... no big deal ... as long as Trump loses.

Barr today on FNS said that 8,000 blacks were shot last year, 10 by police.

Archived