Gun Owners: Question/Advice

On 10/12/2020 at 4:26 PM, Proud Tiger said:

My kind of guy. I have several other kinds too and my neighborhood is a virtual arsenal. What do you normally carry?

19 on duty. I’ve had the 31 around the house and in my car while driving for a while (too bulky to carry concealed so I use the.38 for that) but I just put it back in the safe and brought the 17 back out. Continuity with the 19 plus it came factory with Wilson tactical sights and extended slide and magazine releases. I was carrying the Rock River.223 for a patrol rifle but after Wednesday it’s going to be the 300 Blackout.  Two point slings on both M4 style rifles. Our departmental 12 gauges (Remington 870 Express) have 3 point sling and I loathe those things. I’ve never fired my Weatherby but I’ve heard they’re beasts. 

Edited by aubearcat
  • Like 2

I don’t have much experience with OWB holsters other than Blackhawk and Safariland. I prefer IWB but I’m about 6’1” and 170 give or take a few pounds. If there’s any possible I’d go IWB and for that I like Alien Gear. However, go with whatever you’re most comfortable with because you don’t want to be fumbling around with your holster when you need to defend yourself. 

• 2 weeks later...

Got to Academy about 45 minutes before they opened and was 6th in line. They had a super limited amount, maybe 40 boxes of 9mm and 556 at the customer service desk. Glad I got there when I did because there wasn’t much left when I checked out. 

Good to know that all I have to do is wake up early and stand in line for a little bit to buy at retail prices($12.99). 

Edited by ShocksMyBrain

13 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Application is on its way from the DMV. Just gotta go get my fingerprints taken tomorrow. Alien Gear holster feels a lot better than the Fobus I tried(and subsequently returned). 

0tCRRqu.jpg

I love Alien 👽 Gear holsters. Super comfy. 

• Like 1

Coming in late to this thread, but I went with a Sig Sauer P365 9mm for personal carry and home protection.  It's a compact so it's comfortable to carry on you, but has 12+1 capacity, which is amazing considering most pistols of this size (such as the very popular Smith & Wesson M&P Shield 2.0) are 8+1 at the most.  And this one is only 1mm thicker than the Shield.

21 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

I have Alien Gear holsters for my Glock 43 and mid-sized frame Glocks and both are top notch. I also have a suede Glaco IWB but I prefer the Alien Gear. 

On 10/29/2020 at 6:31 AM, aubearcat said:

I love Alien 👽 Gear holsters. Super comfy. 

It was comfortable for sure. I wore it doing things around the house and it didn’t impede my movement or poke in any way. Definitely concealed OWB under my t shirt. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/16/2020 at 10:57 PM, ShocksMyBrain said:

Carry permit arrived today. Took a little over a month from when I took the class. A little under 3 weeks after submitting my fingerprints to the state. 

Which state?

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

My M&P 2.0 40 compact I ordered from Palmetto should be delivered to my FFL tomorrow 😃

Great! Now, about finding some ammo to load it with....

53 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Great! Now, about finding some ammo to load it with....

Popped into a gun store on the way to the farmers market today and grabbed a box of range FMJ for $35. Hollow points were $60 😑.  Well overpriced, but I wanted something to shoot. 

8 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Popped into a gun store on the way to the farmers market today and grabbed a box of range FMJ for $35. Hollow points were $60 😑.  Well overpriced, but I wanted something to shoot. 

Christmas of 2019 I had bought a bunch of extra 9mm and 45 ACP practice rounds to give out to our adult children and their spouses (all carry) as stocking stuffers. My wife bought something else, so I just put the extras away. Therefore, I have a good but dwindling supply of practice ammo bought at around $9 for a box of 50. I've cut down on my shooting this past year,  hoping prices will get back to normal at some point.

• 2 weeks later...

Ammoseek. Check it daily. You can find ammo, at times. You had better buy it quick. Also, the Sellier& Ballot ammo, is really quality ammo. Before the shortage, you could buy 6.5 creedmor, 140 grain sp, hunting ammo, for less than $14.00 for a 20 round box. It is now $39.00. It is good, quality, and seems more available than domestic stuff. It is made in the Czech Republic, and they have been in business for over 100 years. They supply military ammo to many countries, so I am told. I use it in my hunting rifles. 

Edited by Farmer Brown

• 1 year later...
On 9/4/2020 at 12:54 AM, ShocksMyBrain said:

Update:  The pistol wasn’t up for grabs after all. I’m planning to get a Walther Creed 9mm for home and carry versatility, but it might be on the larger size. I might go with a Walther PPS M2 for more discrete carry, but the mag is small, so I will have to go with an extended. Either way, I’ve pretty much settled on a Walther.

Home/wife preference is a Mossberg 590 Shockwave. I think that’s been settled. And that’s a bad little piece. 

Flash forward 2 years later and hucking around a S&W40 2.0 Compact…

I gave my S&W 9mm EZ to my wife because she works in downtown Memphis. When one door closes another opens…will be picking up my Walther PPS M2 this week for my EDC. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 10/29/2020 at 11:51 AM, TitanTiger said:

Coming in late to this thread, but I went with a Sig Sauer P365 9mm for personal carry and home protection.  It's a compact so it's comfortable to carry on you, but has 12+1 capacity, which is amazing considering most pistols of this size (such as the very popular Smith & Wesson M&P Shield 2.0) are 8+1 at the most.  And this one is only 1mm thicker than the Shield.

This model is my personal carry choice.  Its a fine pistol. 

• 2 weeks later...

Skip guns completely.  Nunchucks.  Ever seen someone try to jump a guy with nunchucks hanging off of his belt?  Me either. 

6 hours ago, abw0004 said:

Skip guns completely.  Nunchucks.  Ever seen someone try to jump a guy with nunchucks hanging off of his belt?  Me either. 

Love nunchucks. Their problem? Deflecting bullets. Much like martial arts in general. There was a time this wasn't much of a problem. That time has passed. 

9 hours ago, AUFAN78 said:

Love nunchucks. Their problem? Deflecting bullets. Much like martial arts in general. There was a time this wasn't much of a problem. That time has passed. 

Oh you can deflect bullets if you train hard enough.  I took a bunch of online Karate courses so I am a virtual black belt with the knowledge of deflection.

• Haha 2

I currently have a Beretta APX, Sig P365, HK VP9 and HK VP9SK.

Berretta and Sig I could likely bury for a year, pull them out dust them off and fire them. Dependable. I gave the P365 to Miss America. Even with the 12 round clip too small for my hands. Solid gun though. She likes it so all good.

Love the sights on the VP9. Very, very accurate.

And then there is the VP9SK. All I can say is try it. My fav by far.