Astronomy

Where I live, star gazing in the Great Pacific NW is kind of a hit or miss proposition due to chronic cloudy skies.  Fortunately, it's been clear the last few days.  Anyways, the comet NEOWISE is visible in the NW or NNW sky about 1.5-2 hrs after sunset below the Big Dipper, and will be through the 23rd or so I'm told.  I used some sport binoculars & that helped to see it a lot.  This comet won't return for 6800 years so go out & try to see it while you can.  Also, Jupiter & Saturn were visible low in the ESE sky.  With the binocs I was even able to see an illuminated moon near Jupiter.  Cool.  Felt like Galileo.  And as a bonus, I just happened to see the ISS streak by going ESE to ENE -- it only lasted a couple of minutes.  How did I know it was the ISS?  I have a free app on my phone called Skyview that will identify stars, planets & satellites like the ISS & Hubble Telescope.  In the app, just point your phone at the sky & it will tell you what you're looking at.   Highly recommended.   

15 hours ago, AUloggerhead said:

At the location listed under my avatar:  Sammamish, WA.  It's about 20 or so miles east of Seattle.  

I love the weather there. 

On 7/15/2020 at 1:58 AM, AUloggerhead said:

Where I live, star gazing in the Great Pacific NW is kind of a hit or miss proposition due to chronic cloudy skies.  Fortunately, it's been clear the last few days.  Anyways, the comet NEOWISE is visible in the NW or NNW sky about 1.5-2 hrs after sunset below the Big Dipper, and will be through the 23rd or so I'm told.  I used some sport binoculars & that helped to see it a lot.  This comet won't return for 6800 years so go out & try to see it while you can.  Also, Jupiter & Saturn were visible low in the ESE sky.  With the binocs I was even able to see an illuminated moon near Jupiter.  Cool.  Felt like Galileo.  And as a bonus, I just happened to see the ISS streak by going ESE to ENE -- it only lasted a couple of minutes.  How did I know it was the ISS?  I have a free app on my phone called Skyview that will identify stars, planets & satellites like the ISS & Hubble Telescope.  In the app, just point your phone at the sky & it will tell you what you're looking at.   Highly recommended.   

I love the Skyview App. FYI, my sister worked at Boeing in Huntsville and did the leak testing on the seals in the ISS.

Yesterday morning & this morning, we got up before dawn (around 4 a.m.) to try to see the other planets:  Mars, Venus & Mercury.  Mars & Venus were easy enough to spot, but Mercury is really difficult because it's visible very low on the eastern horizon, and only briefly before the sun rises.  I couldn't make it out either time -- although the sky was clear up high, there were wispy clouds low on the horizon that contributed to hiding it I believe.  Ah well ... ... we'll keep trying.  

On 7/16/2020 at 7:28 PM, AUloggerhead said:

At the location listed under my avatar:  Sammamish, WA.  It's about 20 or so miles east of Seattle.  

Like everywhere else, we have our moments when it's just glorius and other times when it can be, ah ... challenging.   A few years back, we had a winter where the sky was overcast for 100 straight days.  Over 3 months we didn't glimpse the sun and that's not a misprint.  Also, every now & then (this year in fact) we have a month not known to other parts of the country:  June-uary, where it's as cold & rainy as in January.  Then again, we have periods where it's perfectly dry & warm during the day with low humidity & cool in the evening all through the night.  Early September right after Labor Day is the time I recommend to anyone wanting to visit the NW.  When October rolls around, it's time to get out the polar fleece & sweat pants!  

On 7/15/2020 at 2:58 AM, AUloggerhead said:

Plain old binoculars are way underappreciated for star gazing.  The field-of-view is more valuable than higher magnification, at least for casual amateurs on a budget.

And if you're a birdwatcher, you probably already own a pair!

9 hours ago, AUloggerhead said:

Like everywhere else, we have our moments when it's just glorius and other times when it can be, ah ... challenging.   A few years back, we had a winter where the sky was overcast for 100 straight days.  Over 3 months we didn't glimpse the sun and that's not a misprint.  Also, every now & then (this year in fact) we have a month not known to other parts of the country:  June-uary, where it's as cold & rainy as in January.  Then again, we have periods where it's perfectly dry & warm during the day with low humidity & cool in the evening all through the night.  Early September right after Labor Day is the time I recommend to anyone wanting to visit the NW.  When October rolls around, it's time to get out the polar fleece & sweat pants!  

I like places with variable weather.   It adds variety to life.

And like the Norwegians say, "there is no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing". ;D

Once again we went out last night to view the comet & planets since the weather is so cooperative and there are only a few more days to see .  My oldest son & girlfriend drove over from Seattle where they live to see what all the fuss is about.  More & more people are showing up at the location we use to stargaze -- ball fields area that's open with a clear view and away from the light pollution in the city.  Saw the comet right off with the binoculars and once we did that, it becomes easier to spot it with eyes only.  Also, the rings around Saturn & the moons around Jupiter were clearly evident with the binoculars provided you brace yourself against something solid (fence post, tree, etc.) to steady hand-held binoculars.  Mounting the binoculars on a tripod would be the best way  but I just don't have that set-up.   Hope everyone else gets a chance to see the comet & planets!  Oh yeah -- we were treated to another flyby of the ISS.  Here's a website I used to find out when the ISS is visible:  

https://spotthestation.nasa.gov/sightings/view.cfm?country=United_States&region=Washington&city=Redmond#.XxXMqHuSlPZ

It's an awesome sight to see as the station travels at 17.5k mph.  It's really moving across the sky!

I think maybe I saw the comet last night... but maybe it was the ISS? Would I necessarily see a tail on the comet? If so, then it was probably the ISS, because there was no tail. I'm on the South Carolina coast, and, looking NW, it was moving straight down towards the horizon. Naked eye. 

5 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I think maybe I saw the comet last night... but maybe it was the ISS? Would I necessarily see a tail on the comet? If so, then it was probably the ISS, because there was no tail. I'm on the South Carolina coast, and, looking NW, it was moving straight down towards the horizon. Naked eye. 

The comet is virtually stationary when you see it.  Any movement that you witness when you do see it is probably due to the Earth rotating, much like the constellations & the stars "move" during the evening.  If you can find the Big Dipper, start searching for the comet in the sky below the constellation.  You might need binoculars.  The tail is very visible.  The movement of the ISS across the sky is very fast.  For instance, tonight in my area the ISS will make 2 flybys in the span of 1.5 hrs.  You should check out the Spot the Station website from NASA for your area to determine when it'll be visible.  You won't need binoculars to see the ISS, just proper timing.    

1 hour ago, AUloggerhead said:

The comet is virtually stationary when you see it.  Any movement that you witness when you do see it is probably due to the Earth rotating, much like the constellations & the stars "move" during the evening.  If you can find the Big Dipper, start searching for the comet in the sky below the constellation.  You might need binoculars.  The tail is very visible.  The movement of the ISS across the sky is very fast.  For instance, tonight in my area the ISS will make 2 flybys in the span of 1.5 hrs.  You should check out the Spot the Station website from NASA for your area to determine when it'll be visible.  You won't need binoculars to see the ISS, just proper timing.    

Thanks! Pretty sure I saw the ISS last night. Definitely didn't see the comet. Taking another crack at that in an hour. And taking the birding binoculars :) Big Dipper and down- roger.

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Thanks! Pretty sure I saw the ISS last night. Definitely didn't see the comet. Taking another crack at that in an hour. And taking the birding binoculars :) Big Dipper and down- roger.

Since you’re on the coast, you also can look for Jupiter & Saturn in the low ESE sky. They’re both relatively close to one another, Jupiter being the brighter of the two.  With your binoculars you should be able to make out Jupiter’s moons as tiny points of light near the planet.  Galileo was able to see the 4 biggest moons with his home-made telescope about 400 years ago.  Last night I saw at least 3, and possibly the 4th.  Like I said in an earlier post the issue is finding a way to stabilize hand-held binoculars to limit shaking of what you’re viewing.  Good luck.  

8 hours ago, AUloggerhead said:

Since you’re on the coast, you also can look for Jupiter & Saturn in the low ESE sky. They’re both relatively close to one another, Jupiter being the brighter of the two.  With your binoculars you should be able to make out Jupiter’s moons as tiny points of light near the planet.  Galileo was able to see the 4 biggest moons with his home-made telescope about 400 years ago.  Last night I saw at least 3, and possibly the 4th.  Like I said in an earlier post the issue is finding a way to stabilize hand-held binoculars to limit shaking of what you’re viewing.  Good luck.  

Nice. The clouds were blocking the comet last night but I might have seen the planets in the other direction. I've got the perfect spot to look for them so I will go back out tonight (and tomorrow if I have to).

On 7/20/2020 at 7:24 PM, AUloggerhead said:

When I was on Isle Royale doing Moose/Wolf research we'd see many satellites while stargazing. 

If it's not blinking and moving way faster than a plane, it's a satellite. ;)

On 7/20/2020 at 10:43 PM, AUloggerhead said:

I try to brace my elbows on something but it's not easy.

This looks kind of interesting:

https://www.amazon.com/Snapzoom-Universal-Binocular-Tripod-Mount/dp/B01M6Y5I5M/ref=asc_df_B01M6Y5I5M/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309822971200&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=9598988182400554784&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9010472&hvtargid=pla-568304880389&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=70157059668&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=309822971200&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=9598988182400554784&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9010472&hvtargid=pla-568304880389

Not sure at what magnification you'd really need a motorized tripod, but that would be the next challenge, especially with cheap, manual pan tripods.

Archived