A brief note on AC in this heat

AURex

This is trivia, but on a day like this, I am reminded and very thankful for the engineering brilliance that has made life more tolerable lately.

It has been in the 90s, including upper 90s, with heat index over 100. The weather forecasters warned of an "historically hot" summer, and friends, we got it here where I live. Not just a couple of days, but weeks, including almost no rain.

Which makes me appreciate so much the talent and brilliance of the two guys who invented and promulgated AIR CONDITIONING!

Air conditioning was first thunk up by Willis Carrier in 1902, so he's usually the one who gets the credit. But the portable air conditioner more widely commonly used was invented by Frederick Jones. A true self-made man. Father white, mother black, but orphaned as a child. Pretty much self taught. By the time of his death, he owned 60 patents related to A/C and refrigeration, X-Ray technology, etc. Very little schooling, but lots of brains and self-guided learnin'. Fascinating story. Here's the brief Wiki article about this genius whose work makes our lives today so much better.

I think is underrated for it's role in making the "New South"  possible. Likewise, for the economic development in other areas of the "heat belt".

(Large trees around your house help also, at least by reducing your energy bill.)

Funny think is, both Carrier and Jones lived in Ohio. Wifey's parents lived in Ohio and she grew up there. Her parents never even had any air conditioning in their house -- which they had built! You would think that the invention of A/C would have come from the south or SW, where oppressive heat can not only be uncomfortable personally, but a bit "aromatic" for everyone nearby! 😒

Archived