How Does Our SEC Record Stack Up After 4 Games ?

IronMan70

Yes, we should be better, a lot better. Oh I know, $ 7 million/year, W/L vs rivals, team dissention present, play calling, all true, all very valid. But where do we stand in the SEC going into the rest of the season ? With 40% of the schedule in the books we already have 10 of 14 SEC teams with 2 losses or more. I had predicted 75% of the SEC would have 4 losses this year and we are well on the way. Why ? The 10 game SEC schedule magnifies and exposes the deficiencies in each team. No more "gimme" games to get to a decent win total, you can't hide. That's also one of the reasons to like a conference only schedule, it cuts through the BS.  Even though it doesn't make it any more palatable, we do have a lot of company in our 2+ loss group of 10. So try to keep some perspective and don't get too frustrated as we attempt to 'enjoy' these last 6 games. I am often infuriated by the some of the outcomes but I sure do like to watch our guys play.  
2020 Standings - SEC - East
  CONF  
Georgia 3-1  
Florida 2-1  
Kentucky 2-2  
South Carolina 2-2  
Tennessee 2-2  
Missouri 1-2  
Vanderbilt 0-3  
2020 Standings - SEC - West
  CONF  
Alabama 4-0  
Texas A&M 3-1  
Arkansas 2-2  
Auburn 2-2  
LSU 1-2  
Ole Miss 1-3  
Mississippi State 1-3  

• IronMan70 changed the title to The last 6 games, where we stand in the SEC.

If Gus and Chad learn to run the ball and take some pressure off Bo.

50/50 Ole Miss

I think LSU is a bigger dumpster fire. win

I think Miss State is really bad.  win

I would have said Tennessee 70/30 before last week but possibly 50/50 depending on which JG shows up for UT.

Bama - no chance

TaMu - depending on how bad the loss to Bama is will play a big part in this game.  Probably 60/40 TaMu though.

Best case 7-3

Worse IMO 4-6

Anything below 4-6 then Gus is probably gone.  May be gone less than .500.

im guessing the reason some are writing LSU as a win is due to their D performance in their two losses but how do we know they wont have it figured out by the time we play them next week

@ Ole Miss - L

LSU - L

@ Mississippi State - L

Tennessee - W

@ Alabama - L

Texas A&M - L

that would put us at  3-7  i honestly see only one more win i dont see us beating both mississippi schools on the road if we beat either i feel almost confident in saying both may have their coming out party against us

if we get one more win i think its Tennessee

• IronMan70 changed the title to How Does Our SEC Record Stack Up After 4 Games ?

Besides Mississippi state nobody should be running with straight confidence of this team. LSU defense sucks but they can score and have enough athleticism to go all in on our run game. We are going to have to beat teams by making a quality plays in the passing game.

First let me say that I love the all SEC schedule. I wish we regularly played a 12 game schedule with 2 OOC games and 10 SEC games. They are much more interesting.

As bad as we are, and we are bad, there are several teams left that are actually worse than us. Some are WAY worse which is shocking. 

* OM is the worst defensive team in the nation and may be historically bad. They can score but we basically just have to stop them a few times and we can win. Can we stop them? 50/50 shot

* LSU is fielding the worst team they have had in decades. We have then at home on halloween. The also have a terrible defense (way worse that us). This is 50/50.

* Msu is straight trash - again their defense is worse that us and their offense is worse than us. If we lose to them Gus should be fired on the spot. AU Win

* TN is not good but I think they are better than us in many areas. Their coach is like ours - terrible. 50/50

At this point we stand no chance against TAM or UAT. 

Anything from 3-7 to 8-2 is a possibility at this point. Realistically we spit and go 4-6. Luck bounce or 2 we go 5-5 or 6-4. I will say that I think this game is huge for Gus. He loses here he is in big trouble. He has a tendency to start winning when his a** is on the line. 

4 hours ago, Win4AU said:

If Gus and Chad learn to run the ball and take some pressure off Bo.

50/50 Ole Miss

I think LSU is a bigger dumpster fire. win

I think Miss State is really bad.  win

I would have said Tennessee 70/30 before last week but possibly 50/50 depending on which JG shows up for UT.

Bama - no chance

TaMu - depending on how bad the loss to Bama is will play a big part in this game.  Probably 60/40 TaMu though.

Best case 7-3

Worse IMO 4-6

Anything below 4-6 then Gus is probably gone.  May be gone less than .500.

I agree with you. This OL game is HUGE for GUS. 

9 hours ago, musicitytiger said:

We can put out all sorts of charts for current standing.  Truth is, we’re just not good at football right now

No we aren't, my point. The standings are the visual that demonstrates that. They show we are crowded into a large group of mediocre to bad teams. In fact, there are only about 4 teams that could say they are in the good category as of today.  

Based on the first 4 games we might beat Miss St. and LSU if things go our way- turnovers, penalties etc. We lose the rest based on the evidence presented so far. I don't think it matters that OM has a bad defense. I would like to be wrong but my feeling is just a vote of no confidence right now.

Having watched all the games here is how I would rank the conference based on my eye test:

1 UA and UGA are much better than anyone else and they will in all likelihood play in the SECCG with one or both in the playoff

2 AR, AU, FL, KY, SC, TA&M, UT, MO are average teams and turnovers, critical penalties, a bad day by the QB or other bad breaks are the difference between a win and a loss when playing each other

3 LSU, OM, MSU are less than average they need multiple breaks or will have to get better to win against the 2 group and are not beating the 1 

4 Vandy is Vandy they probably are not beating anybody except possibly a 3  If they get some breaks

Just now, weagl1 said:

Having watched all the games here is how I would rank the conference based on my eye test:

1 UA and UGA are much better than anyone else and they will in all likelihood play in the SECCG with one or both in the playoff

2 AR, AU, FL, KY, SC, TA&M, UT, MO are average teams and turnovers, critical penalties, a bad day by the QB or other bad breaks are the difference between a win and a loss when playing each other

3 LSU, OM, MSU are less than average they need multiple breaks or will have to get better to win against the 2 group and are not beating the 1 

4 Vandy is Vandy they probably are not beating anybody except possibly a 3  If they get some breaks

There is no way this auburn team is anywhere near close to UF or even the aggies for that matter 

1 hour ago, DAG said:

There is no way this auburn team is anywhere near close to UF or even the aggies for that matter 

I think folks are severely underestimating how bad we really are right now. I mean....talk of hopefully squeaking out wins over OM, MsSt, Arky, Tenn and getting beat by a horrible SCar team in year 8 of a coaches tenure with the talent, resources and salary of a multi NC coach is absurd. Funny folks talking about being afraid of becoming Tennessee........we're here already. What are we waiting for? 

14 minutes ago, leglessdan said:

Funny folks talking about being afraid of becoming Tennessee........we're here already. What are we waiting for? 

Gonna tangent off this thought.

Remember the folks who openly wished for a bad loss here or there that would force a coaching change? Well guess what? What we are dealing with now is what they were hoping to avoid. They were willing to trade the immense glory of an 8-5 season that prior players enjoyed for the living hell of a 7-6 season so that future players wouldn't experience dumpster fire conditions such as what we're seeing now.

As for the Tennessee thing, exactly. They kept trying and kept trying and they are likely in the process of surpassing us while we sit still. "But they just got their asses kicked!" Yeah, and they fired somebody for it. 

I thought Morris might save the day. Didn't happen. I agree with those who say we can't fire the golden albatross, but some very fuzzy football reasons for saying we shouldn't

10 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Gonna tangent off this thought.

Remember the folks who openly wished for a bad loss here or there that would force a coaching change? Well guess what? What we are dealing with now is what they were hoping to avoid. They were willing to trade the immense glory of an 8-5 season that prior players enjoyed for the living hell of a 7-6 season so that future players wouldn't experience dumpster fire conditions such as what we're seeing now.

As for the Tennessee thing, exactly. They kept trying and kept trying and they are likely in the process of surpassing us while we sit still. "But they just got their asses kicked!" Yeah, and they fired somebody for it. 

I thought Morris might save the day. Didn't happen. I agree with those who say we can't fire the golden albatross, but some very fuzzy football reasons for saying we shouldn't

I chuckled at "immense glory" 🤣

20 hours ago, KnightTiger said:

im guessing the reason some are writing LSU as a win is due to their D performance in their two losses but how do we know they wont have it figured out by the time we play them next week

@ Ole Miss - L

LSU - L

@ Mississippi State - L

Tennessee - W

@ Alabama - L

Texas A&M - L

that would put us at  3-7  i honestly see only one more win i dont see us beating both mississippi schools on the road if we beat either i feel almost confident in saying both may have their coming out party against us

if we get one more win i think its Tennessee

What is amazing to me is that NO ONE considers that our offense is garbage as WELL as the defense.  You can gripe and groan about USCe getting 21 points off of turnovers saturday, but a competent defense would have held them to 9.  

This defense is really Vanderbilt level bad.

21 hours ago, IronMan70 said:
Yes, we should be better, a lot better. Oh I know, $ 7 million/year, W/L vs rivals, team dissention present, play calling, all true, all very valid. But where do we stand in the SEC going into the rest of the season ? With 40% of the schedule in the books we already have 10 of 14 SEC teams with 2 losses or more. I had predicted 75% of the SEC would have 4 losses this year and we are well on the way. Why ? The 10 game SEC schedule magnifies and exposes the deficiencies in each team. No more "gimme" games to get to a decent win total, you can't hide. That's also one of the reasons to like a conference only schedule, it cuts through the BS.  Even though it doesn't make it any more palatable, we do have a lot of company in our 2+ loss group of 10. So try to keep some perspective and don't get too frustrated as we attempt to 'enjoy' these last 6 games. I am often infuriated by the some of the outcomes but I sure do like to watch our guys play.  
2020 Standings - SEC - East
  CONF  
Georgia 3-1  
Florida 2-1  
Kentucky 2-2  
South Carolina 2-2  
Tennessee 2-2  
Missouri 1-2  
Vanderbilt 0-3  
2020 Standings - SEC - West
  CONF  
Alabama 4-0  
Texas A&M 3-1  
Arkansas 2-2  
Auburn 2-2  
LSU 1-2  
Ole Miss 1-3  
Mississippi State 1-3  

We're 28-25 in our last 53 SEC games.

Our recruiting class is an embarrassment and getting worse.

There's no point in trying to spin this as a positive, it's not.

How can anyone enjoy this crap? Auburn football hasn't been fun for a hot minute.

5 minutes ago, 1716AU said:

What is amazing to me is that NO ONE considers that our offense is garbage as WELL as the defense.  You can gripe and groan about USCe getting 21 points off of turnovers saturday, but a competent defense would have held them to 9.  

This defense is really Vanderbilt level bad.

The defense definitely has some missing pieces,  but they still held SoCar to under 300 yds of offense. We committed 3 turnovers, outgained them by almost 200 yds on offense but as usual can't finish drives. I'm disappointed in the defense too...they're not last years squad for sure, but they've been carrying this team for the last 3-4 years while Gus figures things out on offense. A lull was bound to occur and here we are.

4 hours ago, leglessdan said:

The defense definitely has some missing pieces,  but they still held SoCar to under 300 yds of offense. We committed 3 turnovers, outgained them by almost 200 yds on offense but as usual can't finish drives. I'm disappointed in the defense too...they're not last years squad for sure, but they've been carrying this team for the last 3-4 years while Gus figures things out on offense. A lull was bound to occur and here we are.

I dont put much stock in USC' offense, and feel good about keeping them under 300 yds. Their QB is avg at best, and I don't see SC scoring much against good Ds the rest of the way.

Our front 4 us NOT getting any pressure on the QB. Not sure of our sack totals but its got to be quite low, and then its only when we blitz. Has any of our ends gotten a sack?

Until we can get better pressure on better offensive QBs, we will give up 30+ points a game easy and our back end will suffer trying to contain WRs...

1 hour ago, steeleagle said:

So the SC game was huge, but the OM game is HUGE? :)

Haha yep.
Basically the USC game opened the eyes of even the biggest Gus supporters. The product on the field and how we conducted ourselves was atrocious. 
How we follow that up is going to show if Gus has lost the team. 

15 hours ago, Zeek said:

We're 28-25 in our last 53 SEC games.

Our recruiting class is an embarrassment and getting worse.

There's no point in trying to spin this as a positive, it's not.

How can anyone enjoy this crap? Auburn football hasn't been fun for a hot minute.

I think you misread my post. Read it again, I was pretty honest about the current reality of the program, no spin. Did you notice I put the word 'enjoy' (the games) in quotes, lol ? Now the players are in a different category. Like with Tank for instance, looks like we have a future superstar RB in the making. Enjoy watching him, or else, haha.

Archived