Will Gatewood get a shot to start at UK??

Tigerpro2a

4 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

I don't know if this has been mentioned, but it looks like we may get to see what JG can actually do.

https://kentuckysportsradio.com/football-2/the-anatomy-of-kentuckys-midseason-quarterback-competition/

This could be a big reveal. Obviously no one had spring practice. Joey just became eligible 2-3 weeks ago. If he is able to perform in the big spotlight it says quite a lot about player evaluation at AU. We shall see...

10 hours ago, LKEEL75 said:

He got snaps last week and did no better than the other guy. 

And the other guy was 4-11 for 38 yards. Doesn't really inspire a lot of confidence.

Stoops announced Gatewood will start against Georgia this weekend.  Excited for this.  I hope he lights it up! Not only that, with NCAA allowing everyone to keep a year of eligibility, Joey still can play 3 years at UK including this year.  If he needs it of course. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

Wilson is also hurt, which will help JG get a shot

This being the determining factor in Joey's opportunity to start. Here's hoping he has a great game.

• Like 1

On 10/30/2020 at 9:53 AM, Mikey said:

This being the determining factor in Joey's opportunity to start. Here's hoping he has a great game.

i think he was average saturday but i was pulling for him. i watched his replay and realizing it was just one game he looked average but i bet stoops had him on a close leash so to speak. i still remain a fan of his and i hope he lights it up in the future.

5 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

i think he was average saturday but i was pulling for him. i watched his replay and realizing it was just one game he looked average but i bet stoops had him on a close leash so to speak. i still remain a fan of his and i hope he lights it up in the future.

He looked about as bad against that uga defense in his first start after having practically no preseason while surrounded by Kentucky talent as Bo did against that uga defense in his 15th start after having the same preseason that most teams did while surrounded by Auburn talent.

Definitely not writing him off yet. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

He looked about as bad against that uga defense in his first start after having practically no preseason while surrounded by Kentucky talent as Bo did against that uga defense in his 15th start after having the same preseason that most teams did while surrounded by Auburn talent.

Definitely not writing him off yet. 

he was my man crush and his love for auburn is what made me pick him.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Report: Mark Stoops names Will Levis starting QB for Week 1

He has been battling with Joey Gatewood and Beau Allen for the starting job.

Looks like Joey missed out on starter again.  

https://www.wkyt.com/app/2021/08/15/report-mark-stoops-names-will-levis-starting-qb-week-1/

1 minute ago, AUBwins said:

Report: Mark Stoops names Will Levis starting QB for Week 1

He has been battling with Joey Gatewood and Beau Allen for the starting job.

Looks like Joey missed out on starter again.  

https://www.wkyt.com/app/2021/08/15/report-mark-stoops-names-will-levis-starting-qb-week-1/

I'd love to have seen what BoBo and Harsin could've done with his raw talent.

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

Agreed.  He was definitely going to be a project. We knew that when signing him.  Just hate it he was fooled into thinking we had a legitimate QB guru as was constantly advertised by media. 

42 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

Agreed.  He was definitely going to be a project. We knew that when signing him.  Just hate it he was fooled into thinking we had a legitimate QB guru as was constantly advertised by media. 

He's probably got to drop down a level if he wants to start. He clearly doesn't want to sit and develop. 

We've seen a ton of kids dominate lower levels and get drafted high, so maybe that's a path

Joey Gatewood transferring from Kentucky after Will Levis named starting quarterback

By Creg Stephenson | cstephenson@al.com

Former Auburn quarterback Joey Gatewood is now looking for a third school.

Gatewood will enter the NCAA transfer portal for a second time, Kentucky coach Mark Stoops said on Sunday. Stoops named Will Levis the Wildcats’ starting quarterback for the Sept. 4 season-opener vs. Louisiana-Monroe, adding that Gatewood had chosen to leave the program.

“I told him how much I appreciated how hard he’s worked. I know he’s been through this before so I knew it would be especially tough. Tough decision, not what he wanted to hear,” Stoops said, via 247 Sports. “We had that discussion, had a good talk. He handled it completely professional and really appreciate him.”

Feel bad for the kid......

University of Kentucky quarterback Joey Gatewood is planning to enter the NCAA transfer portal, head coach Mark Stoops announced on Sunday.

Gatewood transferred to UK ahead of the 2020 season after spending his first two seasons at Auburn. He made his only career start against Georgia last year in place of Terry Wilson, who started every other game but sat out that one with a hand injury.

Gatewood’s decision came following Stoops’ announcement to the team that Will Levis, a transfer from Penn State who joined the program this summer, will start at quarterback going into the Wildcats’ season-opener against Louisiana Monroe.

TOP ARTICLES

After meeting with the quarterbacks as a group, Stoops spoke with Gatewood privately. He knew that that decision would not sit well with the former top-50 recruit, who at Auburn lost out on the starting job to Bo Nix, then a true freshman.

“I told him how much I appreciate how hard he’s worked, and I know he’s been through this before so I knew it would be an especially tough decision, not what he wanted to hear,” Stoops said. “We had a good talk. He handled it completely professional. I really appreciate him. At that point he did inform me that he thought it would be in his best interest to enter his name into the portal, so that should happen here soon. ...

“I have great respect for Joey. He believes he can go somewhere and be a Power Five quarterback and a difference-maker, and I believe that as well.”

Stoops conferred with Gatewood about publicly unveiling his decision to enter the portal before doing so.

If Gatewood enters the portal, he cannot practice with the team. Stoops said he and Beau Allen would be competing for the No. 2 position on the depth chart if Gatewood were to remain at UK.

“He has to make a decision very quick,” Stoops said. “It’s in his best interest to get to a new location prior to school starting. If he’d enrolled here, that would count as a calendar year for him, and that would set him back. That’s not good for his future.”

Stoops said that, as of Sunday, if he had listed Gatewood as the definitive no. 2 quarterback with Allen as the No. 3 player on the depth chart, it would not have been fair to Allen, indicating that he’s performed at a high level in campSubscribe for unlimited access to our website, app, eEdition and more

“That wasn’t fair to Beau,” Stoops said. “Beau’s done a very good job. … Each young man deserves the proper opportunity, and he’s earned that right to get a lot of reps with the 2’s.”

Per NCAA rules, to qualify for an immediate eligibility waiver, players had to transfer before July 1. Gatewood would not have been immediately eligible before that cut-off date, regardless, since he has already once transferred between FBS programs.

“If you wait another week, then he’s trapped here, so I thought it was the right decision to let him know where we stand,” Stoops said. “And he appreciated that.”

Sounds like he was at least about as good if not marginally better than the Allen fella. Levis is supposed to be very talented from what I’ve little I heard, and was above in the race for a minute

Very depressing to hear on Joey’s account, I hope he goes to a FAMU or maybe a G5 and just tries to be the best athlete that plays QB that he can be. I think he would enjoy that 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bigbird said:

About the same as Malzahn and Stoops, I imagine. Reminds me of a lady I once knew who had been married and divorced four times. I dared ask her about that once, in some after hours joint in Montgomery. She tossed back a Jack Daniels shooter, looked me in the eye and said: "After a while, you have to start wondering if the problem isn't with you instead of with all those guys."

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mikey said:

About the same as Malzahn and Stoops, I imagine. Reminds me of a lady I once knew who had been married and divorced four times. I dared ask her about that once, in some after hours joint in Montgomery. She tossed back a Jack Daniels shooter, looked me in the eye and said: "After a while, you have to start wondering if the problem isn't with you instead of with all those guys."

Except Malzahn has proven to be a below average QB coach and Stoops has never been known as an offensive guy.  Neither staffs were built with QB development in mind. Bobo and Harsin, in contrast, do have a long track record of QB development and QB success. That's why seeing what they could do with his talent would be different.