Men vs South Alabama

Zeek

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We need Powell at the off guard and just let him shoot it. 

I loved the okay earlier when three guys wanted to block the ball. 😆

JJ with another 3! Auburn has set the record for most 3s in a game. 80-63 AU

Edit: Should clarify, we've set the Auburn record for most 3s and tied the SEC record.

29 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

Cooper and Powell would be a scary tandem IMO

I gave him Herro comps coming in, and other than his lack of finishing at the rim (only because it so rarely happens), I feel pretty safe in that type projection working for him. If these next few draft classes weren't absolutely stacked, I could see him playing his way into a low first rounder at this trajectory. 

Just now, tgrogan21 said:

The fact that Jones has only played about 2 minutes this half and we're up double digits is very telling.

South went on a 7-0 run to close out the half  while turbo was running things ... there was plenty of bad to go around but the O is different.

You take the win however it comes, but this run primarily isn't just some garbage time performance. These guys just don't know how to (YET) salt clock away. 

I feel like the frenetic pace and shoot shoot shoot style allowed for them to just do their thing, and the measured, controlled offense of the last handful of possession isn't what they do. And that's something you can magnify as a coach for gameplanning in the future. 

I don't expect FT shooting to get better regardless, but I think I would be content with the offense if Sharife were to play. Another threat going to the rim,  a more accurate passer to the trailing slashers and back door cuts that HAVE been there this season, and with Powell proving to have the ability to play hefty minutes, it'd give you close to 40 minutes of competent playmaking play from the 1 spot. 

I said it before, but I think we'd win 3 of the 4 games quite comfortably if he was here, based on what we've seen without. There's some pieces there. 

Powell goes 1-2 from the line. 88-79 Auburn with 11.3 seconds left.

S. Alabama makes the layup 89-81 2.8 seconds left and they're still fouling.

Williams goes 1-2 from the line. And the final is 90-81 Auburn

Still would like to figure out how to use Turbo, and I hope he keeps his head up. More than just spelling Powell, the guy has some instinct on driving to the rim. I don't have anything close to an answer on what you could do to help him but I just wish the best for the kid 

Screenshot_2020-12-04 USA 81, AUB 90 - 00 00 (PRD 2).png

I know it's just a simple thing but I was really hoping they would give Powell an assist for the play he saved and tipped to Moore. That kept him from getting his double-double.

Powell ended up with 26 points 9 assists and 4 rebounds.  He also was very smooth against the pressure when bringing ball up court. So far he is the steal of this class.  This team has a lot of growing to do. Most of the turnovers tonight were lazy passes or players just not looking. Turnovers allowed South Alabama stick around. Also in the second half we started playing matador defense hoping we could block the shot. Maybe because we blocked so many early we got lazy on D.  I would not want to be in the locker room when Pearl tells it like it is. He will start out congratulating them on the win then hitting them hard for all the mental errors then telling them how proud he is for their improved shooting. It will be the right mixture of pointing out where they can improve while still keep them positive as this is a young team.

Moore had a good game 7 points 5 boards in just 13 minutes. Cardwell pulled down  an Offensive rebound right under the basket and threw it away trying to pass it out instead of just go back up and jamming it. Our bigs need to go up strong under the basket.

We got our 1st home win and this is something to build on.

Archived