Men vs South Alabama

Zeek

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw where AU is favored by about 10 in the game. We'll be at home so that should help us shooting percentage wise from what we saw at UCF on Monday. Emphasis on SHOULD lol. Looking at USA so far they beat up bad on some teams i did not know existed and then they lost to Jack St and beat FAU on a buzzer beater. USA relies heavily on 6'1" guard Flowers who is at 20pts per game average. They have a 3 more in double digits and a couple more just below that. So while heavy reliance on Flowers they have others who can score. 

The areas i see we could cause them problems is 1 they are not very deep with only 8 guys averaging double digit minutes. And 2. they are  not very tall with no player over 6'8". If we can press like hell and play really good defense maybe we can wear them down some. Then if we can actually get our guards to get the guys down low some looks then we could beat them up in the paint. We'll see if our guys can do that. I also am curious to see if our height really helps us. We are long and lanky down low so if they have some of those thick 6'8" types that know how to work amongst taller guys they could really frustrate us by getting into our bodies. Looking at roster stats they don't look to  have guys like that but we'll see. 

Assuming we don't fall apart again on the offensive side of the ball and we use our size advantage then we should be able to handle USA. Now if we shoot 20+ 3s at a 20% hit rate again then i think we'll probably be in a nail bitter. 

It's just very hard to even analyze anything as far as them playing without a real pg out there....we really should have signed Mark Sears

FREE-THROWS!!!!!!!

Michael Flowers is the guy to stop looks like he's averaging 17+ and is usually their leading scorer. We have to defend the 3 better and make freakin' free throws.

At this point this team needs to win with D and pounding the boards as we don't have any real offensive flow yet as to many young players and some playing out of position because of not having a true PG. I also would start Powell at PG over Turbo as he does not think that he should dribble out the shot clock. Now my complaint about Turbo dribbling out the shot clock is not all on him. Our big people need to use their bodies to seal defender and create a passing lane and our others need to move with purpose to get open not just move on the perimeter. We can't settle for 3's but if we have a good 3 we still need to take it and crash the boards against these guys. To repeat what others have said we have to hit our FT's. Thor has to be more assertive he has all the skills but is to tentative.  Finally their 6'1" PG is their top scorer when turbo is in he needs to stick to him and when Powell is in he needs to take him down low some to either score over him or get him in foul trouble. I would love to see Thor or Williams getting ball Just above the foul line and act as facilitators that would take some of the pressure off the PG.  From There they can shoot, drive or pass and are big enough to see and make passes and also to crash the boards once a shot goes up.

I would try and start fast with a lineup of Stretch at 5, Williams at 4, Thor at 3, Flanigan at 2 and Powell at 1. We would have a size advantage at every position.

• WarTiger changed the title to Men vs South Alabama
2 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

At this point this team needs to win with D and pounding the boards as we don't have any real offensive flow yet as to many young players and some playing out of position because of not having a true PG. I also would start Powell at PG over Turbo as he does not think that he should dribble out the shot clock. Now my complaint about Turbo dribbling out the shot clock is not all on him. Our big people need to use their bodies to seal defender and create a passing lane and our others need to move with purpose to get open not just move on the perimeter. We can't settle for 3's but if we have a good 3 we still need to take it and crash the boards against these guys. To repeat what others have said we have to hit our FT's. Thor has to be more assertive he has all the skills but is to tentative.  Finally their 6'1" PG is their top scorer when turbo is in he needs to stick to him and when Powell is in he needs to take him down low some to either score over him or get him in foul trouble. I would love to see Thor or Williams getting ball Just above the foul line and act as facilitators that would take some of the pressure off the PG.  From There they can shoot, drive or pass and are big enough to see and make passes and also to crash the boards once a shot goes up.

I would try and start fast with a lineup of Stretch at 5, Williams at 4, Thor at 3, Flanigan at 2 and Powell at 1. We would have a size advantage at every position.

I like that starting lineup!

Just now, Maverick.AU said:

Good to see Powell starting! Let’s go boys!

Smart move 

1 minute ago, Maverick.AU said:

Good lord, Powell with 3 ast already?

It's been such a clean game as well. No fouls for Auburn through 6 minutes.

Archived