Coach Candidates Thread (OP Updated 12/22)

Zeek

5 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Those are good reasons, but how can you think Fickell is worth a hire, but Sark isn’t. Sarks been around top programs and coached in the NFL. 

For Fickell, it is a values thing. I've seen a lot of interviews with him. He'd mesh well with the Auburn culture despite not having lived in the south. The other thing with Sark though is how badly he bombed in USC. He was a terrible head coach there, and I'm not convinced he's gotten any better. 

• Replies 9.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, AuCivilEng1 said:

I have a theory that Freeze, even though I’m not a huge fan of him, would possibly be the safest hire as far as NCAA violations go. That guys walking on eggshells now. He knows he ain’t getting away with anything. 

The problem with that, is he isn’t going to be able to pull off the mild cheating all the programs do. So we’d be the cleanest team in the country, and subsequently probably the worst, because we can’t cheat. Lol

He would be on extremely thin ice if allowed back in the SEC.  Football wise, he is an offense guy and his schemes arent stagnant like Gus's were. He is open to change 

1 minute ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I have a theory that Freeze, even though I’m not a huge fan of him, would possibly be the safest hire as far as NCAA violations go. That guys walking on eggshells now. He knows he ain’t getting away with anything. 

The problem with that, is he isn’t going to be able to pull off the mild cheating all the programs do. So we’d be the cleanest team in the country, and subsequently probably the worst, because we can’t cheat. Lol

Well as Jboy said the ncaa would come swooping in to sweep AU athletics. And he even said about Gus “he’s cleaner than the big boys in the conference but he’s in no way squeaky clean”. If they’re gonna find any little thing then, well, even with freeze that puts us as a disadvantage.

Just now, AUFriction said:

DO TELL!

I do not know the details but for years people in the know on here have made those comments as to why he’s never hired for a HC job

We need to move the ball consistently. Under Gus from 2015-2020, most of the time we had no vertical passing game except for a few games in 2017. This offense needs to be brought into 2020 like what Alabama did. 

4 minutes ago, The Freak said:

Sark was a 7 win coach at Washington and USC.  What magic sauce does he have now that will improve on that?

He’s not drunk 90% of the time now! Lol

3 minutes ago, The Freak said:

Sark was a 7 win coach at Washington and USC.  What magic sauce does he have now that will improve on that?

Years of experience developing qbs and putting together some of the best offenses Alabama has fielded while working for the best coach in the business

5 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

For Fickell, it is a values thing. I've seen a lot of interviews with him. He'd mesh well with the Auburn culture despite not having lived in the south. The other thing with Sark though is how badly he bombed in USC. He was a terrible head coach there, and I'm not convinced he's gotten any better. 

I want you to share a picture of that marvelous Ivory Tower that you live in.  Perhaps we can convince Joel Osteen to take the job, though I fear we can’t afford him.

Just now, drewzums343 said:

Seth Williams and Anthony Schwartz are talented guys, they can run an offense like Oklahoma and Bama

Getting better OL recruiting and a good QB coach will solve a lot of problems.

1 minute ago, shabby said:

Years of experience developing qbs and putting together some of the best offenses Alabama has fielded while working for the best coach in the business

I have a had time giving him points for success at Alabama or dinging him for the Falcons.  I'm just not sure any competent OC would do much different.

I'm not against him, just don't see the upside.

11 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

DO TELL!

He probably said “damn” when he was only 6 years old. Seems ole Friction is gonna settle for no less than a 60 year old uncircumcised virgin.

2 minutes ago, Swamp Eagle said:

I want you to share a picture of that marvelous Ivory Tower that you live in.  Perhaps we can convince Joel Osteen to take the job, though I fear we can’t afford him.

At least Joel Osteen has experience being unqualified for a position, lol.

31 minutes ago, chizhead said:

Stop posting. Ignorance showing

Look at his record... in the pac 12 no less. You really think this guy is a winner? If so, I’d love to hear your feelings on Gus. 

A1B6C632-5632-4974-859E-12A5E2083219.png

9 minutes ago, Swamp Eagle said:

He probably said “damn” when he was only 6 years old. Seems ole Friction is gonna settle for no less than a 60 year old uncircumcised virgin.

I’ve given my suggestions for who to hire. If you don’t know who they are, how about you go look, and stop acting like a child.

3 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

Look at his record... in the pac 12 no less. You really think this guy is a winner? If so, I’d love to hear your feelings on Gus. 

A1B6C632-5632-4974-859E-12A5E2083219.png

I don’t think he was the same person he is now. He was a bonafide alcoholic back then. It definitely impacted his job. By all indications he is clean now. Look at what he is doing and has done with Mac Jones. Also with Tua prior. The man can coach as long as he off the sauce.

8 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

He actually was drunk 90% of the time, including events he was supposed to be speaking at.

I know. That’s what I’m saying. He was able to coach himself into a head coaching gig with USC and a OC gig with the Falcons while being drunk all the time. Imagine what he could do with a clear mind. 

22 minutes ago, shabby said:

He was the #1 OC under Pete Carroll while Kiffin was also on staff. He was the chosen one to lead the USC program. He was a failure at Washington & USC (in comparison to expectations). I’m sure he’s put his demons behind him but a risky hire. 

31 minutes ago, The Freak said:

Nicholas Saban averaged 7 wins per year at Michigan State.

#themoreyouknow

Note: not using this to portray Sark as the next Saban, just wish some would look a bit deeper when trying to knock a potential coach. The simple fact is there is no coach that comes off the tit winning 10 games a year and natties left and right. Well, except maybe Urban Meyer.

Archived