Coach Candidates Thread (OP Updated 12/22)

Zeek

16 minutes ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

From the reddit thread I posted earlier. Jazzmaurder is the Oregon poster that seems to have some good info E35F9DDA-A2A8-4E1E-B89D-55380857B395.jpeg

And be that close to her parents?? He's definitely not coming now. 😏

• Replies 9.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Zeek said:

As a younger guy in charge of people a lot older than me and more "experienced" resentment from older people who think they know better is quite real.

No I get that. I am 35 am have had people work under me since I was 23. I guess I just always kind of thought there was a guy code in the coaching industry. I guess it would be one thing if they came to Steele, but he actively reached out to them before Gus was fired...that is on the shady side. Who knows what all happened behind closed doors though.

7 minutes ago, PigskinPat said:

Did you research the program Sark took over at Washington? Because if you had, you would have found that if Saban took over a nothing program at Michigan State, then Sark took over an absolute dumpster fire at Washington. Their seasons leading up to Sark taking over were: 1-10, 2-9, 5-7, 4-9, and the season before he got there? 0-12. In just two years, he took them from winless to a 7-6 record and won the first bowl they'd been in in 8 seasons. So I guess if Saban's totals were low because the program was bad, what does that say about the job Sark did at Washington that was absolutely abysmal?

You said he should have won at USC. Do you know how many acting head coaches USC had the season before Sark got there? THREE (Kiffin, Helton, and Orgeron). It was not the USC of days past, and he stepped into a less than ideal situation yet he went 9-4 his first season. His personal demons got the best of him in his second season and he was let go five games into the season posting a 3-2 record. I don't think a sample size of a year and a half can definitively tell us whether or not he could've won big at USC.

As I've said before, a LOT of SEC fans don't pay attention to a damn thing outside of the SEC.

32 minutes ago, BigBlueWDE said:

Steele smoke screen and search committee announcement are designed to buy Auburn a few days until our top candidate(s) coach on Fri (Sat). Best case scenario is that we hear a lot of rumors and make it to Friday's PAC12 championship w/o Oregon announcing an extension for Super Mario. 

That's one rumor. The other one is that we flubbed it up with Mario, and now the boosters are fighting over where to go next, with Steele being one of the possible choices. 

3 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

What happens if Diaz flames out at Miami..no concern MC could want to go back to UM in the future?

Miami won't pay that kind of money to coaches.  Players?  Yes.  Coaches?  Nah.

19 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Cattle-ack is arguably the best I've ever had.  Only open two days a week for lunch though.

Lockhart Smokehouse and Terry Black's are both quality and probably the closest you'll come to central Texas style without making the drive down here.

If you want something a little different, 18th and Vine does KC style BBQ.  Damn good.

Pecan Lodge in Dallas is arguably the city's most famous spot.

Heim in Fort Worth is pretty good if you want to save on gas.

Also, now that you're here, make it a point to go to Perry's Steakhouse for lunch on a Friday sometime.  You'll need reservations, but every Friday they do a pork chop special for about $15.  It's unreal.  Pic below.

If you're around Austin, hit me up.  Would be happy to take you to a few spots for BBQ and tacos.

d4d92662765522ff2589081c42282106.jpg

You married or anything? I could bring my wife and wecould hang out if you are

3 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

As I've said before, a LOT of SEC fans don't pay attention to a damn thing outside of the SEC.

Oh, he coached at USC? They've NEVER had any problems....

19 minutes ago, USATiger said:

As much as I'd love to hire Cristobal, no way is he deserving of 7.1/year unless that includes all incentives like winning a Natty.   No way he gets this kind of contract off the bat.

I tend to agree, and I honestly don't see the slam dunk hire everyone wants out there. So, I'll ask the same question to you everyone has asked of me. Who would you rather have? I don't think Cristobal is going to raise the bar at Auburn, but he's really the only decent coach out there we stand a chance with aside from maybe Hugh Freeze. And apparently multiple people have blocked the Freeze hire from happening. So, unless there's someone else out there, we really no choice but to overpay for him. 

10 minutes ago, JBiGGiE said:

Yeah that's a ludicrous deal and I think Cristobal could be worth that in due time, but that would be contingent on Saban finally retiring too.

Something smells off about that rumor. Unless that proposal includes a dirt cheap buyout and I don't know any rational person who would agree to that...

I don’t think AUCE05 is an insider or anything, that’s just a rumor he heard from who knows where. But the Oregon poster seems fairly confident that Phil Knight isn’t gonna spend a ton of money for a coach 

6 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

What happens if Diaz flames out at Miami..no concern MC could want to go back to UM in the future?

when he flames out

I really think Miami is salty about Mario jumping ship to Alabama

1 hour ago, AUFriction said:

Michigan State was a nothing program when Saban went there. His win totals were low because the program was bad. USC is a program that gives you every advantage. He should have been able to win there, and he didn’t.

You realize he was only head coach at USC for one full year and won 9 games, right?

7 minutes ago, cole256 said:

You married or anything? I could bring my wife and wecould hang out if you are

I am, however my wife has some health issues so she doesn't leave the house too much unfortunately.  We're working on that with a crew of Drs, but it's been a 4 year struggle.

Would still be more than happy to show you and your wife around town for a day though if you're ever down this way.

13 minutes ago, PigskinPat said:

Did you research the program Sark took over at Washington? Because if you had, you would have found that if Saban took over a nothing program at Michigan State, then Sark took over an absolute dumpster fire at Washington. Their seasons leading up to Sark taking over were: 1-10, 2-9, 5-7, 4-9, and the season before he got there? 0-12. In just two years, he took them from winless to a 7-6 record and won the first bowl they'd been in in 8 seasons. So I guess if Saban's totals were low because the program was bad, what does that say about the job Sark did at Washington that was absolutely abysmal?

You said he should have won at USC. Do you know how many acting head coaches USC had the season before Sark got there? THREE (Kiffin, Helton, and Orgeron). It was not the USC of days past, and he stepped into a less than ideal situation yet he went 9-4 his first season. His personal demons got the best of him in his second season and he was let go five games into the season posting a 3-2 record. I don't think a sample size of a year and a half can definitively tell us whether or not he could've won big at USC.

Yes. He built Washington up. But, when he moved to a program that actually had some pressure to win and some prestige, he couldn't handle it. Sorry, he's too risky of a hire. 

2 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

I tend to agree, and I honestly don't see the slam dunk hire everyone wants out there. So, I'll ask the same question to you everyone has asked of me. Who would you rather have? I don't think Cristobal is going to raise the bar at Auburn, but he's really the only decent coach out there we stand a chance with aside from maybe Hugh Freeze. And apparently multiple people have blocked the Freeze hire from happening. So, unless there's someone else out there, we really no choice but to overpay for him. 

Kiffin or Freeze

3 minutes ago, PigskinPat said:

Oh, he coached at USC? They've NEVER had any problems....

If you want to knock the guy for his alcohol problem, I get that.  But he has, by all accounts, rehabbed from that.  The dude was hired TWICE by Saban in the last few years and was the OC for the Falcons between stints.  He's also only 46. 

You'd be dumb not to take a hard look at him.

4 minutes ago, Auburn02 said:

You realize he was only head coach at USC for one full year and won 9 games, right?

And we just fired a coach that averaged 9 wins... What's your point/

Just now, AUFriction said:

And we just fired a coach that averaged 9 wins... What's your point/

By this rationale, the Patriots should have never hired Bill Belicheck.  After all, he mostly sucked in Cleveland.

2 minutes ago, Tony4AU said:

Kiffin or Freeze

So I have a question. How good of a recruiter is Kiffin? I do not remember how his classes were when he was at UT and USC. The reason that I mainly want MC is because of his pedigree and his recruiting prowess. He has been an absolute beast on the recruiting trail and he prioritizes the trenches which is what we need to get caught up with our rivals.

Freeze I believe is the best overall coach of the 3. He and Kiffin both have been great at developing QBs. I would probably give MC a slight edge in recruiting over Freeze, and Kiffin a slight edge over Freeze in terms of scheme/system, but I think Freeze checks all the boxe the best. Can Freeze recruit to the level he did at Ole Miss without the lot lizzards though? 

23 minutes ago, PigskinPat said:

I mentally blocked out that he was at USC tbh. I thought he had his issues during his last few seasons at Washington lol

Archived