Coach Candidates Thread (OP Updated 12/22)

Zeek

27 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:
32 minutes ago, The Freak said:

Sark was a 7 win coach at Washington and USC.  What magic sauce does he have now that will improve on that?

He’s not drunk 90% of the time now!

That sounds like less “magic sauce” to me

• Replies 9.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is such different info between boards and Twitter; which is to be expected I guess.  Does anyone have true insight into whether Cristobal has been contacted by the search firm?  Not contacted at all?  I’m seeing he’s the guy.  Then, I’m seeing he isn’t and never was.

5 hours ago, chizhead said:

no.....dude on 24/7 and another on the Rant

Nobody on the Rant is connected. Jones could be if he wanted to but chooses not to.

11 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

I don’t think he was the same person he is now. He was a bonafide alcoholic back then. It definitely impacted his job. By all indications he is clean now. Look at what he is doing and has done with Mac Jones. Also with Tua prior. The man can coach as long as he off the sauce.

He’s been successful as an OC in the past. He was with Carroll at USC. Being a head coach is a different thing. I don’t think he has what it takes to make that next step. Until I see him do it successfully elsewhere, I’m not buying it. I think he tops out as an OC. 

6 minutes ago, mdp5150 said:

He was the #1 OC under Pete Carroll while Kiffin was also on staff. He was the chosen one to lead the USC program. He was a failure at Washington & USC (in comparison to expectations). I’m sure he’s put his demons behind him but a risky hire. 

he has developed two heisman worthy qb's and has grown tremendously as a coordinator. he is the best Alabama has ever had. he is less risky to me tha cristobal.  and again i like the idea of someone that has learned from Saban since his experienc at USC. 

5 hours ago, chizhead said:

A Rebels fan that never posts on the AU Rant board? Really doubt he has any real info on our search.

So a lot of kids pushed back from ENSD which should help.

Losing our momentum with Terrence Lewis (to Maryland and Tennessee) kind of blows. Scoob not sticking with his postponement sucks too. Armoni is another I wanted to wait.

We can salvage it in February is what I'm getting at. With that said, I do hope we have a decision by Saturday (with the P12 champ on Friday). Can't wait too much longer than that lol.

7 minutes ago, Auburn02 said:

Nicholas Saban averaged 7 wins per year at Michigan State.

#themoreyouknow

Note: not using this to portray Sark as the next Saban, just wish some would look a bit deeper when trying to knock a potential coach. The simple fact is there is no coach that comes off the tit winning 10 games a year and natties left and right. Well, except maybe Urban Meyer.

Michigan State was a nothing program when Saban went there. His win totals were low because the program was bad. USC is a program that gives you every advantage. He should have been able to win there, and he didn’t.

12 hours ago, Zeek said:

So a lot of kids pushed back from ENSD which should help.

Losing our momentum with Terrence Lewis (to Maryland and Tennessee) kind of blows. Scoob not sticking with his postponement sucks too. Armoni is another I wanted to wait.

We can salvage it in February is what I'm getting at. With that said, I do hope we have a decision by Saturday (with the P12 champ on Friday). Can't wait too much longer than that lol.

With that said, when is the last time someone can sign on ENSD before having to wait until Feb?

Josh Pate on his show had this to say

the talks of Steele set to be named new head coach yesterday were false Steele is not looking at potential new assistants to add to the staff he may very well be the new HC but as of this moment he has not been offered the job and is not trying to assemble a coaching staff

its true not everyone is a fan of the search firm and committee theyve came out with - in other words it sounds like maybe someone let it slip about Steele being a possible candidate and Gouge panicked at the thought of it

anyone coming out saying they know that so & so is most likely going to be the HC is just spinning the usual coaching search talk just so they can be the first to gloat "I told you so" when one of the potential names is announced as HC

look for a couple of more names to be mentioned in the next few days - he did not mention whom these names are but most are assuming hes referring to Quinn (ex Falcons HC), Sark and possibly Kiffin (whom Sanders claims has mutual interest from folks in the coaching search )

13 minutes ago, Auburn02 said:

Nicholas Saban averaged 7 wins per year at Michigan State.

#themoreyouknow

Note: not using this to portray Sark as the next Saban, just wish some would look a bit deeper when trying to knock a potential coach. The simple fact is there is no coach that comes off the tit winning 10 games a year and natties left and right. Well, except maybe Urban Meyer.

MSU is not USCw.

2 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

Well these came off my smoker.  Tasty too.

If you ever get back to Dallas area, check out Cattle-ack.  It's all waygu bbq

I live in Fort worth now tell me every spot you can think. I'm still trying to learn the area

4 hours ago, bigbird said:

My daughter was accepted and is going to UT

@bigbirdCongrats to her & at the same time WTH is she thinking. Friendly Texas rib since I hate UTa.

3 hours ago, aucanucktiger said:

Did something happen in the Miss State game that was a deciding factor in firing Malzahn?

@aucanucktigerNo. His 6-4 being a solid season comment got him roasted.

1 hour ago, drewzums343 said:

Allegedly Allen Greene has reservations about Freeze

More than that. He's a total no for Gogue.

15 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

Michigan State was a nothing program when Saban went there. His win totals were low because the program was bad. USC is a program that gives you every advantage. He should have been able to win there, and he didn’t.

He was drunk half the time.

Just now, DAG said:

In other news , I am getting the COVID vaccine tomorrow guys. If I don’t post anymore that’s why haha. 

@DAG Wishing you all the best Bro!

18 minutes ago, KnightTiger said:

Josh Pate on his show had this to say

the talks of Steele set to be named new head coach yesterday were false Steele is not looking at potential new assistants to add to the staff he may very well be the new HC but as of this moment he has not been offered the job and is not trying to assemble a coaching staff

its true not everyone is a fan of the search firm and committee theyve came out with - in other words it sounds like maybe someone let it slip about Steele being a possible candidate and Gouge panicked at the thought of it

anyone coming out saying they know that so & so is most likely going to be the HC is just spinning the usual coaching search talk just so they can be the first to gloat "I told you so" when one of the potential names is announced as HC

look for a couple of more names to be mentioned in the next few days - he did not mention whom these names are but most are assuming hes referring to Quinn (ex Falcons HC), Sark and possibly Kiffin (whom Sanders claims has mutual interest from folks in the coaching search )

I wish we'd just keep Steele's names out of everyone's mouth. It's just embarrassing us the more others see it's  a possibility. 

To Dan Quinn **** no. That guy had so much talent in ATL forever and did jack s*** with it.

I don't see Sark if we're refusing Freeze from a morality standpoint (btw go look through Freeze's Twitter either he's the best fake religiously reformed man ever or he seems fine at this point). Not saying I have a problem with Sark but idk again where Auburn's second chance line starts and ends.

Kiffin isn't happening. He might think it's cute to entertain but he could just as easily troll us. He's got that program in the right direction, they're letting him run his mouth, and he's about to pull in a top 10 class tomorrow. I'm okay with him but I don't think Auburn as a whole would be comfortable with his antics. Dude loves coeds and trainers.

The names most have been surprised not to hear at the Napier, Chadwell, hell even Campbell type names.

Just now, DAG said:

In other news , I am getting the COVID vaccine tomorrow guys. If I don’t post anymore that’s why haha. 

Good luck. You guys deserve this more than anyone. Thanks for all you do. 

I know there are a lot of insiders here that are on the same page, and that a lot of what has happened so far totally makes sense(Oregon suddenly thrust into the title game delaying an announcement/no contract extension signed yet). That said, I just can’t help but go back a mere 10 years to the hiring of one  Eugene C. Chizik Jr. and the  “secrecy” that surrounded that hire. The measures detailed in his memoirs of how they met in a clandestine location to discuss matters. It is also entirely possible that I just didn’t follow that hire as closely as this one, and maybe it’s just the Information Age we are in. But damn if there doesn't seem to be an awful lot of free flowing stuff going on. Just makes me think....what exactly IS the smokescreen?

And when is that left-hook name gonna drop outta no where.

Probably just all the pickled okra and chicken-on-a-stick I ate today. 

Archived