Coach Candidates Thread (OP Updated 12/22)

Zeek

34 minutes ago, tbone1430 said:

At this point, it’s all on Cristobal tomorrow after Oregon’s BOT meet to discuss his contract. If we win the bid I think he’s coming here. If they match us he likely stays. If we don’t get him I think it’s Napier, Sark, and Elliot as the other options. Seems like Sark is now getting some more talk. I just hope we get someone by Saturday. #StopSteele. 

This #stopsteele thing is corny and lame. Please let’s not make this a thing. I am not sure why so many were emotionally involved with Cristobal becoming coach# 1 and now appear to be disappointed he may not coming. I personally think (and this is just my opinion) that nothing will stop them from naming Steele if they want to. We might be screwed.

• Replies 9.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Zeek said:

Screenshot_20201216-144142_Twitter.jpgstarting to trend

The nice thing is most tweets have yella fella and harberts along with riggins links in there. 

17 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Not  a fan of the StopSteele hashtag.  After all of the work he put into Auburn turning our defense around, this has to feel terrible.  Using the hashtag in the same breath of saying we love him as a DC is a wash.

Disagree. It's obvious what the message is about. He shouldn't even let his name be in consideration to begin with. It's embarrassing the fanbase way more than a hashtag.

1 minute ago, PoetTiger said:

This #stopsteele thing is corny and lame. Please let’s not make this a thing. I am not sure why so many were emotionally involved with Cristobal becoming coach# 1 and now appear to be disappointed he may not coming. I personally think (and this is just my opinion) that nothing will stop them from naming Steele if they want to. We might be screwed.

You’re right. Lets just sit on our hands and accept Kevin Steele as HC. Who cares about about winning championships?? He a good Auburn man right? 

Just now, PoetTiger said:

Yeah I don't think it has jack to do with Cristobal. More of folks seeing the JABA BS and voicing their displeasure. This whole series of events happening is beyond idiotic. The university is creating all of it's own bad PR with this. Total blunder of handling this even if we end up with the guy people want. 

33 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

Steele may want to leave as a result of the backlash. Needing the 1 year for retirement benefits may be enough to stay. 

There's no guarantee he stays anyway. Coaches generally get to decide who gets retained. The next coach might not go for Steele's scheme or style. 

That said, I think we all very much want him as DC. We just don't think he is the guy to lead the team. I'd think he'd be smart enough to understand that. 

3 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

I’d rather it be corny and lame and show the boosters we aren’t behind that than sit by and have the chance of Steele being the HC. I’m not emotionally involved as far as Cristobal goes. Do I want him over the others? Sure but if we got Napier, Sark, or Lane I’d be fine too. I just don’t want someone who is already 62 and hasn’t been a HC in years. It would be the most JABA thing to promote Steele. 

1 minute ago, AUFriction said:

There's no guarantee he stays anyway. Coaches generally get to decide who gets retained. The next coach might not go for Steele's scheme or style. 

That said, I think we all very much want him as DC. We just don't think he is the guy to lead the team. I'd think he'd be smart enough to understand that. 

I'm sure he does. He may have even signed off on the idea to say it's him. 

2 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Disagree. It's obvious what the message is about. He shouldn't even let his name be in consideration to begin with. It's embarrassing the fanbase way more than a hashtag.

I agree that his name even being involved is an embarrassment. However this ain’t about the embarrassment. It’s about the players turning against the fans for talking down on a coach who really ain’t done nothing. It’s unrealistic to hope he’d pull himself out of the race. He probably believes he’d be a good candidate. 

24 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Not  a fan of the StopSteele hashtag.  After all of the work he put into Auburn turning our defense around, this has to feel terrible.  Using the hashtag in the same breath of saying we love him as a DC is a wash.

so you want the wants and wishes of our current DC to dictate the future of the Auburn football program?

3 minutes ago, leglessdan said:

Yeah I don't think it has jack to do with Cristobal. More of folks seeing the JABA BS and voicing their displeasure. This whole series of events happening is beyond idiotic. The university is creating all of it's own bad PR with this. Total blunder of handling this even if we end up with the guy people want. 

The fact Steele's name was ever even seriously mentioned by anyone remotely linked to Auburn is the problem. We're a top tier program and not even Southern Miss would do this s***.

Just now, WarEagleHunter1221 said:

I agree that his name even being involved is an embarrassment. However this ain’t about the embarrassment. It’s about the players turning against the fans for talking down on a coach who really ain’t done nothing. It’s unrealistic to hope he’d pull himself out of the race. He probably believes he’d be a good candidate. 

(9-39), 62 years old, and he hardly does any recruiting especially in the off-season. If he thinks he deserves a top 15 job in the country he needs to be placed in a home.

6 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Why would that embarrass our fanbase?  What has Steele done that embarrassed Auburn?  Being in consideration for HC at an SEC school is an honor, who wouldn't want to be considered?

1 minute ago, EagleEye67 said:

so you want the wants and wishes of our current DC to dictate the future of the Auburn football program?

How is Steele dictating what is going on at Auburn?  If he is interested, I think he earned the right to ask for an interview. 

23 minutes ago, fasttimes said:

i would not have picked steele, do not want steele, but a change needed to be made. If it end up being steele i would give him a chance, but i would get rid of every person that had a hand the timing of all of this because if steele was going to be promoted there were 1000 other ways it could have been handled starting with the timing of everything.

if steele ends up being promoted gouge and greene should be run out on a rail.

I may be in the minority here, but (unless we hire some jerk like Kiffin or Meyer) whoever we hire is going to get my full support, especially Kevin Steele given how much he's done for the program the last few years. But, the qualifications and history of the person we hire are going to influence my expectations as well. If we hire Steele, I'll root for him at every game. I'll also not really expect us to peak at 0.500 while he's coach. 

2 hours ago, mom2kid said:

This is ridiculous.  AU should have had agreement in principle before firing GM to prevent this sort of thing.

Who is saying one wasn't?

1 hour ago, Maverick.AU said:

And they shouldn't. It should be all about the boys. This is their day!

1 hour ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Ya cause like I said that BOT meeting would of had to happen if we were in the picture or not with the wage freeze at the University of Oregon. If every other coach and educator is having their salary locked at the university and you want to go give your coach millions more heck even thousands more, there would HAVE to be a BOT meeting. 

Exactly. You have to get approval before offering and offering doesn't immediately mean accepting.

4 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Why would that embarrass our fanbase?  What has Steele done that embarrassed Auburn?  Being in consideration for HC at an SEC school is an honor, who wouldn't want to be considered?

Because our school is considering him? Do you not see how that's embarrassing for Auburn? Literally every fanbase is mocking us for considering Steele. Even our own beat writers who live off pumping sunshine are cringing at the idea. 

At least Doug Barfield finished with a winning record of 29-25. Steele (9-39) would have to go undefeated 2 times in a row then win 6 more straight (half of a season) just to break even.

2 minutes ago, VegasEagle said:

I saw this earlier, and I have held out hope ever since the other day that Sark might be the guy, bit it is AU, so I won't get my hopes up. JOX guys spent a lot of time talking about it this morning

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

Who is saying one wasn't?

And they shouldn't. It should be all about the boys. This is their day!

Exactly. You have to get approval before offering and offering doesn't immediately mean accepting.

@bigbird I'm pretty sure you are not at liberty to divulge any information but I'm assuming we'll find out more by this weekend, specifically after the PAC-12 championship?

Archived