Coach Candidates Thread (OP Updated 12/22)

Zeek

1 minute ago, Zeek said:

Because our school is considering him? Do you not see how that's embarrassing for Auburn? Literally every fanbase is mocking us for considering Steele. Even our own beat writers who live off pumping sunshine are cringing at the idea. 

At least Doug Barfield finished with a winning record of 29-25. Steele (9-39) would have to go undefeated 2 times in a row then win 6 more straight (half of a season) just to break even.

I would actually fine with him being "considered" if it was a ceremonial kind of thing. He's done a lot for the program. If we were really going the search committee route, I'd give him an interview. But, going into it, I'd expect to... shall we say... choose to go in another direction. 

• Replies 9.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure where the Steele campaigning for 2 years came from, but he was approached a couple years ago and asked, if a change was made what staff would he put together. To my knowledge, that's as far as it went.

IMO, that type of behind the scenes stuff doesn't stay behind the scenes. Gus would've found out and, like every other HC that's had staff issues, would've replaced KS.

1 minute ago, Zeek said:

Because our school is considering him? Do you not see how that's embarrassing for Auburn? Literally every fanbase is mocking us for considering Steele. Even our own beat writers who live off pumping sunshine are cringing at the idea. 

Every fanbase was also mocking us for hiring Steele in the first place saying he wouldn't be a good DC for us.  That turned out just fine.

2 minutes ago, Zeek said:

At least Doug Barfield finished with a winning record of 29-25. Steele (9-39) would have to go undefeated 2 times in a row then win 6 more straight (half of a season) just to break even.

Those numbers are from a long time ago when he was HC.  A lot of time has passed since then.  I am not saying Steele is our guy for HC.  I just don't like the hashtag.

I mean,  how the hell does Steele "emerge" as a serious candidate?🤣 He's been here for 4 years. And it's embarrassing because it shows total incompetence to shell out 20+million to promote from within. It would've honestly been better (optically) to just sit quiet on all the coaching stuff and let it play out. No, no ,no....instead the PR department decides to leak out stories like this? Laughable. 

30 minutes ago, tigers23 said:

Don't disagree but beginning to feel anyone other than Steele will be a win at this point.

So either our shakers are very smart and devised this Steele strategy after the PAC12 put Oregon in the title game, to make a search seem plausible and just delay until Cristobal has a chance to play the game and then announce his hiring. Or, they are completely inept and a bunch of egotistical bumbling fools trying to see who has the biggest peen in the room.  Will be interesting to see how this clown show turns out.

12 minutes ago, WarEagleHunter1221 said:

I agree that his name even being involved is an embarrassment. However this ain’t about the embarrassment. It’s about the players turning against the fans for talking down on a coach who really ain’t done nothing. It’s unrealistic to hope he’d pull himself out of the race. He probably believes he’d be a good candidate. 

Pretty sure he’s played politics to set himself ahead of other guys. I don’t feel bad if that blows up in his face 

I've seen this theory pop up a few times, but never really get any attention. What are the chances that this is just a recruiting ploy? We don't have a head coach, and a lot of prospects are making decisions today. Perhaps letting Steele's name slip was a way of trying to at least lock down some of our defensive prospects. 

If so, that would be a little sleazy. But it wouldn't completely surprise me.  

43 minutes ago, Bro Johnny Mac said:

I’ll jump in on the Korean food thread😀

A Korean family cooked an authentic meal for my missionary partner and I in Ulaanbaatar Mongolia. Man, it was sooo good.. Very spicy though, my nose ran for three hours 😆

Korean food gets a 👍from me

That's an awesome story!

2 hours ago, Bro Johnny Mac said:

I’m beginning to think that AU never made a formal offer to MC.

If it’s true that the ducks don’t get in bidding wars, if we formally offer him, it’s a done deal. It looks like the PTB are fractured to such an extent that they NEVER offered MC and have moved on.

I know quoting your own post is lame.. but I’m glad to see that @bigbirdDisliked my post 👍

22 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

This #stopsteele thing is corny and lame. Please let’s not make this a thing. I am not sure why so many were emotionally involved with Cristobal becoming coach# 1 and now appear to be disappointed he may not coming. I personally think (and this is just my opinion) that nothing will stop them from naming Steele if they want to. We might be screwed.

Tennessee would tell you otherwise

4 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

So either our shakers are very smart and devised this Steele strategy after the PAC12 put Oregon in the title game, to make a search seem plausible and just delay until Cristobal has a chance to play the game and then announce his hiring.

Or, they are completely inept and a bunch of egotistical bumbling fools trying to see who has the biggest peen in the room. 

I know where Im putting my bet.

Just now, AUFriction said:

I've seen this theory pop up a few times, but never really get any attention. What are the chances that this is just a recruiting ploy? We don't have a head coach, and a lot of prospects are making decisions today. Perhaps letting Steele's name slip was a way of trying to at least lock down some of our defensive prospects. 

If so, that would be a little sleazy. But it wouldn't completely surprise me.  

Because its AU and things that make sense are never considered, "HONK HONK!"

1 minute ago, Brad_ATX said:

Auburn fans last week: But what if we end up like Tennessee!?!?

Auburn fans this week: Act like Tennessee fans over coach prospects.

Just now, Brad_ATX said:

But the whole nation was laughing at Tennessee over that fiasco, and the coach they ended up hiring ended up being terrible as a result. We could probably take a stand against him as our coach. But we'd come out looking really bad doing it, and might even end up hiring someone worse. 

We are showing our ass with this Twitter stuff imo. Everyone sees this. recruits, players, new coaching prospects. We look insane. If you got a problem with Kevin Steele, let the administration know, but lambasting Kevin Steele’s good name on social media just comes off as a trashy thing to do. Kevin Steele is good people and he hasn’t done anything wrong in this situation other than be driven to further his career. Just my two cents.

6 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

So either our shakers are very smart and devised this Steele strategy after the PAC12 put Oregon in the title game, to make a search seem plausible and just delay until Cristobal has a chance to play the game and then announce his hiring. Or, they are completely inept and a bunch of egotistical bumbling fools trying to see who has the biggest peen in the room.  Will be interesting to see how this clown show turns out.

Ah, the duality of Auburn...

4 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

We are showing our ass with this Twitter stuff imo. Everyone sees this. recruits, players, new coaching prospects. We look insane. If you got a problem with Kevin Steele, let the administration know, but lambasting Kevin Steele’s good name on social media just comes off as a trashy thing to do. Kevin Steele is good people and he hasn’t done anything wrong in this situation other than be driven to further his career. Just my two cents.

Agreed,  but Auburn sure as hell could've handled this a WHOLE LOT different. 

4 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

That is what I was trying to say as well.

To show you how respected he is, Gus Malzahn (who was notorious for overriding assistant coaches) knew better than to interfere with Steele.  The defense was all Steele and Malzahn knew not to touch that.  A person who demands that much respect also deserves it.

9 minutes ago, The Freak said:

Auburn fans last week: But what if we end up like Tennessee!?!?

Auburn fans this week: Act like Tennessee fans over coach prospects.

I would take CKS over what we had all day... He’s not my favorite but we would be better off with Steel than having CGM work out his contract 

7 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

BS

Auburn is a top 12 gig and we are the only major opening. The fans have EVERY right to raise hell.

Plus, I have a sinking suspicion that Steele has been Fulmering Gus for 2 years.

1 minute ago, leglessdan said:

Agreed,  but Auburn sure as hell could've handled this a WHOLE LOT different. 

That they could have. And that’s the administration’s fault. Kevin Steele doesn’t deserve to be publicly humiliated for doing his ****ing job though. It’s embarrassing and shameful.

Just now, Jones Field said:

BS

Auburn is a top 12 gig and we are the only major opening. The fans have EVERY right to raise hell.

Plus, I have a sinking suspicion that Steele has been Fulmering Gus for 2 years.

So you’re going to be part of publicly humiliating a good man who has done his job well and has done absolutely nothing but work to keep the program together over a “sinking suspension”? Is that what you’re saying

1 minute ago, Jones Field said:

BS

Agree with the bolded.  You don't get to ask us to buy tickets, merchandise, make donations, etc and then just be quiet when something this consequential happens for the direction of the program.

It's a two way street.

2 minutes ago, Jones Field said:

BS

Raise hell! I’ll do it with you. Auburn deserves it! But don’t humiliate Kevin Steele to get your point across. 

18 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

That's an awesome story!

I was wondering why I’ve been so hungry the past 2 days and looking back, I blame all of you 😂

Archived