Explain the Mario Cristobal Facisnation

shabby

The only thing people bring up about Cristobal is his recruiting, which is big time. But nobody brings up his coaching, which isn’t a good thing. People name everything except his coaching. “He commands a locker room” just sounds like he’s a glorified cheerleader 

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, autigeremt said:

Saban wasn’t either until he got it going at LSU. Mario is a big get.

Saban won at Toledo and Michigan state before LSU. He turned both programs around before leaving 

2 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

The only thing people bring up about Cristobal is his recruiting, which is big time. But nobody brings up his coaching, which isn’t a good thing. People name everything except his coaching. “He commands a locker room” just sounds like he’s a glorified cheerleader 

He coached the Oregon Ducks to a 12 win season 2 years ago. One of the most elite recruiters in the country, and has intel on Saban's operation. 

What's lacking here?

1 hour ago, Viper said:

It's well-documented than he has shown interest in coming to Auburn. Why do you think Oregon has only just recently decided to offer to extend his contract? And right on the heels of two losses.

I once said Jimbo would be crazy to leave the easy ACC for the SEC.

Cristobal has a certain gravitas that we need in a new coach.  But for the life of me, I don't get why people think a coach with a 3-2 record this year is an upgrade to 6-4, when it includes losses to California and Oregon State. Shoot, at least we only have one loss to an unranked team, and the others were all top ten.  I hope it's not him, but on the other hand there's not much better out there. I still think he just managed to have a crappy season and panic Oregon into a long term contract anyway.

3 minutes ago, Cardin Drake said:

Cristobal has a certain gravitas that we need in a new coach.  But for the life of me, I don't get why people think a coach with a 3-2 record this year is an upgrade to 6-4, when it includes losses to California and Oregon State. Shoot, at least we only have one loss to an unranked team, and the others were all top ten.  I hope it's not him, but on the other hand there's not much better out there. I still think he just managed to have a crappy season and panic Oregon into a long term contract anyway.

5 hours ago, Viper said:

after losing his QB to the draft (#6 pick), they were devastated by Opt-Outs, mostly due to the PAC-12 cancelling the season. Once they reversed course, many of his starters had already signed with agents. His projected Top 5 NFL Draft Pick (an OT) led that pack, as well as 3 of the 4 starters in his secondary. I believe he lost a total of 7 players that would have started or gotten considerable playing time. So, if you just look at the scoreboard, you don’t know the complete story.

42 minutes ago, BizTiger said:

Cristobal turned around FIU and Oregon. 

going 3-8 at FIU his 3rd year is turning around only if you meant went backwards. And is 2 loss Oregon any different than a 4 loss SEC West team which was what got GuS fired. Maybe he will turn out to be a good coach. His pedegree hasn't shown that though.

4 minutes ago, shabby said:

going 3-8 at FIU his 3rd year is turning around only if you meant went backwards. And is 2 loss Oregon any different than a 4 loss SEC West team which was what got GuS fired. Maybe he will turn out to be a good coach. His pedegree hasn't shown that though.

FIU was 0-35 the 4 seasons before he got there.  (10 wins pre-sanctions, but still FIU was a train wreck)

He then bounced back with 7 wins the next year.  You're just looking for something to ding him on.

7 minutes ago, The Freak said:

FIU was 0-35 the 4 seasons before he got there.  (10 wins pre-sanctions, but still FIU was a train wreck)

He then bounced back with 7 wins the next year.  You're just looking for something to ding him on.

That seven win season was year 2. Year 3 was a reversal. 3 wins. if your program actually gets worse the following season it doesn't make your case for him building something there. it's people wanting to see something not supported by reality.

8 minutes ago, The Freak said:

Exactly. And that was how long ago?

Compared to his current #6 overall recruiting class? At OREGON. 

When is the last time Auburn had a top 6 class with 4 offensive linemen?

https://247sports.com/college/oregon/Season/2021-Football/Commits/

2 minutes ago, shabby said:

That seven win season was year 2. Year 3 was a reversal. 3 wins. if your program actually gets worse the following season it doesn't make your case for him building something there. it's people wanting to see something not supported by reality.

2002 Don Strock 5–6          
2003 Don Strock 0–10††          
2004 Don Strock 0–7††          
Sun Belt Conference (2005–2012)
2005 Don Strock 0–6†† 0–4†† T–2nd      
2006 Don Strock 0–12 0–7 5th      
2007 Mario Cristobal 1–11 1–6 7th      
2008 Mario Cristobal 5–7 3–4 T–5th      
2009 Mario Cristobal 3–9 3–5 6th      
2010 Mario Cristobal 7–6 6–2 T–1st W Little Caesars Pizza    
2011 Mario Cristobal 8–5 5–3 4th L Beef 'O' Brady's    
2012 Mario Cristobal 3–9 2–6 T–8th    

2 minutes ago, shabby said:

Year Team Overall Conference Standing Bowl/playoffs Coaches# AP°
FIU Golden Panthers / Panthers (Sun Belt Conference) (2007–2012)
2007 FIU 1–11 1–6 7th      
2008 FIU 5–7 3–4 T–5th      
2009 FIU 3–9 3–5 6th      
2010 FIU 7–6 6–2 T–1st W Little Caesars Pizza    
2011 FIU 8–5 5–3 4th L Beef 'O' Brady's    
2012 FIU 3–9 2–6 T–8th      
FIU: 27–47 20–26  
Oregon Ducks (Pac-12 Conference) (2017–present)
2017 Oregon 0–1 0–0 4th (North) L Las Vegas    
2018 Oregon 9–4 5–4 4th (North) W Redbox    
2019 Oregon 12–2 8–1 1st (North) W Rose 5 5
2020 Oregon 3–2 3–2 (North)      
Oregon: 24–9 16–7  
Total: 51–56

6 hours ago, PigskinPat said:

You’ve had opinions about other things and who we shouldn’t hire, but you won’t offer up one name you wouldn’t mind seeing us hire? It’s a message board, it doesn’t carry an ounce of weight in who gets hired. 

6 hours ago, atl-tiger said:

Pretty weak answer for such a polarizing poster. Gus is gone, who would you want? 

Can you two not read? I do not have a preference. I'll support the guy AU hires. Well, unless it's Urban Crier. Him, I don't want anywhere around Auburn.

1 minute ago, Mikey said:

Can you two not read? I do not have a preference. I'll support the guy AU hires. Well, unless it's Urban Crier. Him, I don't want anywhere around Auburn.

I can read just fine, it just shocks me that someone that has voiced their opinion so strongly about something doesn’t have a clue who they’d like as the next coach.

1 hour ago, Cardin Drake said:

not to mention hire him to replace the coach that beat him unbelievable I say.

10 minutes ago, PigskinPat said:

it just shocks me

You must shock easily. What's the problem with leaving the selection up to people who are putting in the time and effort to try to make a good selection? They know things we don't know, so I trust that they will make what they think is the best choice for AU.

13 minutes ago, PigskinPat said:

I can read just fine, it just shocks me that someone that has voiced their opinion so strongly about something doesn’t have a clue who they’d like as the next coach.

He's gonna pull for whoever hires Gus next. 

He will likely be pulling hard for the SEC Network next year

Just now, Tiger said:

I pulled for Gus when he was Auburn's coach. I'll do the same for our next coach. The concept is simple and shouldn't confuse people, though some seem incapable of grasping it.

1 minute ago, Mikey said:

You must shock easily. What's the problem with leaving the selection up to people who are putting in the time and effort to try to make a good selection? They know things we don't know, so I trust that they will make what they think is the best choice for AU.

Ok, shocks might be too strong of a word, maybe surprises me is more accurate. And again, everyone knows the selection is up to the decision makers, you having an opinion on which coach you think might be a good fit for us has absolutely nothing to do with the outcome of who is eventually chosen.

We can agree, I trust they will make the best choice as well.

18 minutes ago, Tiger said:

erwrew.gif

17 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I pulled for Gus when he was Auburn's coach. I'll do the same for our next coach. The concept is simple and shouldn't confuse people, though some seem incapable of grasping it.

O we grasp it. It is just completely pathetic. You blindly support them even when you have no business doing so.

7 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

O we grasp it. It is just completely pathetic. You blindly support them even when you have no business doing so.

Loyalty to Auburn. I prefer it to the endless whining, griping and outright hatred I've seen expressed here for the past several years.

If the new guy goes 3-9 his first year, what will the nest of mice say? If the new guy goes 15-0 his first year, will it be because he did it with Gus's players? You mice are already faced with a dilemma.

Just now, Mikey said:

Loyalty to Auburn. I prefer it to the endless whining, griping and outright hatred I've seen expressed here for the past several years.

If the new guy goes 3-9 his first year, what will the nest of mice say? If the new guy goes 15-0 his first year, will it be because he did it with Gus's players? You mice are already faced with a dilemma.

LOYALTY TO AUBURN?!?! LOYALTY TO AUBURN?!?!? Are you freaking kidding me right now man? Dude we just sat here and saw you for YEARS pump that sunshine about GUS who was draining the life and excitement and joy out of the program. You had loyalty to Gus. Not Auburn. Only Gus. If you had loyalty to Auburn you would of wanted a change. You never did. You dug your heels in. You are the most stubborn poster on here dude and you have no leg to stand on with this.

6 hours ago, tomcat said:

Pat Dye was 6 - 5 at Wyoming before being hired at Auburn. Think about that...

Dye said he couldn’t compete with all the good players wanting to go do Rodeo at Wyoming. He said Rodeo was number one there.

Archived