Ryan Pugh

TigerHorn

6 minutes ago, AUDub said:

Northam is kind of a unique situation.

For one, his second in line had sexual assault allegations leveled against him, and third in line also got caught up in a blackface scandal. 

For another, the polling of black folks in the state overwhelmingly revealed they did not want him to resign.

For yet another, fast moving media cycle these days and people moved on to the next outrage (whatever the hell Trump was up to at the time) and it just sort of fell by the wayside. 

IOW, In Woke America, It wasnt important because the Dems didnt want to lose the VA Governors Mansion.

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow...a lot geeing and hawing with the comments here. I’m 70 freaking years old. I was a student at West End High School in BHM when it was integrated. The notion of “Black face” would have never entered my mind...aside from the racist rudeness, that sh_t would be far too aggravating....applying and removing. Pugh is young enough to be fully aware of the shat he was doing

5 hours ago, wdefromtx said:

"All blackface is derogatory whether it's meant to be or not. It's not cute or funny or cool. And it wasn't 10 years ago either.  My suspicion is that he was just a tone deaf, casual racist without any understanding that what he did was hurtful. But he should learn a lesson from it and work to change his racist thought processes from here on out. NOW he can't say he didn't know better." 

I agree it is simple, which is why I don't understand why you think it is only a one sided street. You seem to only want to respect certain groups feelings. I thought that in today's society we are all supposed to take into account everyone's feelings? Isn't that what they say nowadays? So if a white person knows the history of blackface and sees someone doing whiteface and it offends them or upsets them we are just supposed to be ok with it? You can argue that it doesn't have the history as blackface and I agree. But if it is only for a derogatory reason against blacks, is a white person not justified to think the reverse might be done in a derogatory way? 

Dude.....just shut up. Whiteface is really not a thing and your argument is still racist. But you're so busy carrying on about a non-issue you only look worse and worse. It's not the fault of anyone here that you're that dense. Not wasting any more time with you. 

14 minutes ago, DKW 86 said:

IOW, In Woke America, It wasnt important because the Dems didnt want to lose the VA Governors Mansion.

Nah. 

Hell, speaking for myself, I called for him to resign at the time. 

1 minute ago, DKW 86 said:

So did half of the Democrat Leadership. But when it came time to make it happen...bupkis. 

His constituents did have a lot of say in that.

My biggest beef at the time was "how in the hell did Gillespie fail so badly at opposition research" lol.

3 hours ago, AUDub said:

It's one of those things where you're treading a very fine line. If you can do it in a manner that you're not dehumanizing or insulting anyone, obviously meant to be a caricature of people who do it in an racist/insensitive manner and most importantly funny, then you can get away with it.

In Tropic Thunder the joke worked because it digs at the asshat producers racist enough to cast an obviously caucasian man to play a black character and RDJ's character having his head so far up his own ass that the fact that it is racist is completely lost on him.

What movie are we talking about anyway? :dunno:

3 minutes ago, homersapien said:

What movie are we talking about anyway? :dunno:

Tropic Thunder, in which Robert Downey Jr plays a method actor too stupid to exist in real life. 

It was a pretty clever meta-commentary on Hollywood.

5 hours ago, wdefromtx said:

Good riddance if that is what you got out of everything. It is in fact the opposite. He made the asinine statement that all blackface is racist. He openly refuses to look at intent, which is the whole reason of RDJ. Good lord do you really think people think Pugh was trying to be RDJ? I asked if my black friend dressing up in whiteface was racist and he refused to answer. Why? I guessing because he wanted to know the situation and intent of it. But he can't ask about that while saying all blackface is racist no matter what. These were crazy comparisons to actors because the double standards some people in here want to apply. I did not think I would have to explain his to you. 

Asinine to you, maybe not to him.

Why do you suppose that might be?

6 minutes ago, AUDub said:

Tropic Thunder, in which Robert Downey Jr plays a method actor too stupid to exist in real life. 

It was a pretty clever meta-commentary on Hollywood.

my library doesn't have it.  :(

Like the still tho! ;D

26 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

Dude.....just shut up. Whiteface is really not a thing and your argument is still racist. But you're so busy carrying on about a non-issue you only look worse and worse. It's not the fault of anyone here that you're that dense. Not wasting any more time with you. 

If white people get offended by “whiteface”, they probably also would get offended by the “nerdy suburban white guy voice” that many black comics use (all of which are hilarious and 100% accurate). But out of the other side of the mouth they’ll claim they don’t get offended by the words “honky” or “cracker”. 

1 minute ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

If white people get offended by “whiteface”, they probably also would get offended by the “nerdy suburban white guy voice” that many black comics use (all of which are hilarious and 100% accurate). But out of the other side of the mouth they’ll claim they don’t get offended by the words “honky” or “cracker”. 

Hell, we've had guys here that went off on Cole over being called "dude."

Just now, ShocksMyBrain said:

And hamsters. Or was it gerbils?

Hamsters and that was me lighting that fuse. Dude didn't take kindly to Monty Python. 

13 hours ago, abw0004 said:

That is why I said "may."  I wasn't sure.  For the record I am not defending Pugh for his actions.  I do not support those antics.  I just do not like that it is automatically assumed it was at a fraternity.  Here is the contest I was referring to:

187534346.jpg.5ff91f07854e520a15d20d6c4021e3b5.jpg

download.jpeg.604d47b47be908fc35a9dabeffc47620.jpeg

Assume some of these guys are now also labeled as misogynists? 

8 hours ago, ScotsAU said:

Fallon has since apologized for that sketch. FYI.

Doesn’t matter really, so has Pugh.  Only difference is Pugh lost his job, Fallon didn’t.  Unfortunately, like so many other  other things in society, there are all sorts of double standards and inequalities.    That being said, it is Baylor’s decision to make.  

I don’t want to come across as defending blackface, but I do think there are differences based on intent and context.  Not ok at all, but some things are clearly worse than others.  

8 hours ago, cole256 said:

This is almost the equivalent of asking if you guys use the word how come it's racist if I use it

I do feel this is a legitimate question to ask. In a society where we are all to be equal (and we absolutely are), the same rules should apply.  To tell kids today we are all the same, but race X can say some words but race Y cannot, does not teach equality.  

I’ve seen this double standard cause all sorts of issues.  

7 hours ago, cole256 said:

No because of the origin it's different which is why I asked you do you even know the history of it. Black people didn't oppress white people then because they didn't view them as a person they didn't do white face to exclude them then over time they did it just to keep a black person from being on set. So it's not the same

Fully respect your opinion / stance on this issue, but I feel the best way to address racism is through mutual respect, consistency and equality and not through double standards and policies that are themselves, racist.  

30 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

And hamsters. Or was it gerbils?

Worse, I undersold it here. He literally called Cole "boy." Even persisted after being told you absolutely do not refer to a black man that way. "Dude" was his attempt at equivocating. 

Racist old coot. 

54 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Asinine to you, maybe not to him.

Why do you suppose that might be?

Because he fails to see that racism can be a two way street. Is that good enough for you? 

1 hour ago, AUDub said:

Worse, I undersold it here. He literally called Cole "boy." Even persisted after being told you absolutely do not refer to a black man that way. "Dude" was his attempt at equivocating. 

Racist old coot. 

If memory serves, that was when Cole got called "boy", and Monty Python elderberries showed up.  Correct?

2 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

If memory serves, that was when Cole got called "boy", and Monty Python elderberries showed up.  Correct?

Hamsters and elderberries predates it by roughly a month. 

It became my stock insult in short order. 

18 minutes ago, AUDub said:

Hamsters and elderberries predates it by roughly a month. 

It became my stock insult in short order. 

I remembered it to the vicinity of a month, I consider that a memory victory.

1 minute ago, Strychnine said:

I remembered it to the vicinity of a month, I consider that a memory victory.

I am an AUFamily search function ninja. 

2 hours ago, wdefromtx said:

Because he fails to see that racism can be a two way street. Is that good enough for you? 

Bro please go sit down. It's not me who can't see it's you. You don't want to acknowledge the origins of it you just want to say this is the same as that and it's not. It's always that one white guy who thinks he can make rules and tell a black person how they are wrong. You could never know what it feels like. All you can do is talk from the sidelines. 

I actually wish I didn't have to be PC either. I wish I could just go back to high school and dare somebody to disrespect. I bet Pugh wouldn't think about doing that again if somebody would've stomped the hell out of him. You have no idea what it feels like to be a lion but caged up. Most of you on here wouldn't say half the stuff you post on here to someone's face. 

2 hours ago, GoAU said:

Doesn’t matter really, so has Pugh.  Only difference is Pugh lost his job, Fallon didn’t.  Unfortunately, like so many other  other things in society, there are all sorts of double standards and inequalities.    That being said, it is Baylor’s decision to make.  

I don’t want to come across as defending blackface, but I do think there are differences based on intent and context.  Not ok at all, but some things are clearly worse than others.  

I do feel this is a legitimate question to ask. In a society where we are all to be equal (and we absolutely are), the same rules should apply.  To tell kids today we are all the same, but race X can say some words but race Y cannot, does not teach equality.  

I’ve seen this double standard cause all sorts of issues.  

Fully respect your opinion / stance on this issue, but I feel the best way to address racism is through mutual respect, consistency and equality and not through double standards and policies that are themselves, racist.  

No that word was used in a way but black people took that word and took the power of of it. I don't feel like explaining it though. It's actually just something you won't ever understand

Archived