VERY Good Article

Link to WSJ Article

Very unbiased article - written from first hand experience.

The worst part for me? The filthy conditions in the hospital in the UK - over 100,000 people a year die in UK hospitals from antibiotic resistant bacteria. That just makes it worse for the rest of us in terms of controlling that particular germ.

Very interesting article. The heathcare problems in this country are so complex that allowing the government to control it, will just create more problems.

However, I do think the government needs to try to help solve the problem of why our healthcare costs are so high. Some of the reasons I believe are:

1. insurance companies drive high costs as well as other special interests

2. while I think that the medical community should invest in technology, they are so quick to buy new machines, or update all of the computers, they don't take a balanced look at that

insurance companies drive high costs as well as other special interests

I am not saying that doesn't happen, by any means, but...

In Alabama, we are among the top 5 in every major Health Problem category including something like 1st in obiesity and diabetes.

Speaking of being fat, the Gastric Bypass costs about $20,000 a pop (from what I have heard). That's just the procedure alone. On average in AL, it costs over $50,000 a person when you figure in any follow up or complications.

Many people grossly misuse their health insurance as well. Things such as going out of network, using the ER for non-emergencies, using Rx when they can get an over the counter med., or taking a brand name when there is a generic available all increase claims paid. Increased claims paid = Increased insurance premiums.

Not all insurance companies are for profit or answer to stock holders, either. Some are actually not-for-profit.

Everything you've said is true MDM. But then again, the lobbying arm of the insurance industry frequently opposes things that would help lower health care costs, such as businesses and associations being able to pool their buying power across state lines to get better rates on coverage. Insurance companies by and large oppose this because they don't want the increased competition. They like the pond they're in. Something like this would be a great help.

Everything you've said is true MDM.  But then again, the lobbying arm of the insurance industry frequently opposes things that would help lower health care costs, such as businesses and associations being able to pool their buying power across state lines to get better rates on coverage.  Insurance companies by and large oppose this because they don't want the increased competition.  They like the pond they're in.  Something like this would be a great help.

162989[/snapback]

I will PM you with a response...I am not sure you have all the facts.

Many people grossly misuse their health insurance as well.  Things such as going out of network, using the ER for non-emergencies, using Rx when they can get an over the counter med., or taking a brand name when there is a generic available all increase claims paid.  Increased claims paid = Increased insurance premiums.

Not all insurance companies are for profit or answer to stock holders, either.  Some are actually not-for-profit.

162985[/snapback]

The only point of this post I will argue is the point about people going to the ER for non-emergencies. With as many rural areas as Alabama has, some people have no choice in this matter. Some people only have the ER for minor emergencies such as maybe a few stitches, a broke or spained limb, etc. My insurance charges you the deductable, plus $100.00 co-pay for going to the ER unless you are actually admitted to the hospital. Even if you're admitted, you still have to pay the co-pay. So, some people don't have the option of going to a "Doc in a Box" (Primed, American Family Care, and other such facilities)

Many people grossly misuse their health insurance as well.  Things such as going out of network, using the ER for non-emergencies, using Rx when they can get an over the counter med., or taking a brand name when there is a generic available all increase claims paid.  Increased claims paid = Increased insurance premiums.

Not all insurance companies are for profit or answer to stock holders, either.  Some are actually not-for-profit.

162985[/snapback]

The only point of this post I will argue is the point about people going to the ER for non-emergencies. With as many rural areas as Alabama has, some people have no choice in this matter. Some people only have the ER for minor emergencies such as maybe a few stitches, a broke or spained limb, etc. My insurance charges you the deductable, plus $100.00 co-pay for going to the ER unless you are actually admitted to the hospital. Even if you're admitted, you still have to pay the co-pay. So, some people don't have the option of going to a "Doc in a Box" (Primed, American Family Care, and other such facilities)

163006[/snapback]

I am not refering necessarily to those in the rural areas. I am talking about those with in a short distance of an Urgent Care Facility or their actual doctor's office yetthey go to the ER because they are running a fever or have a headache. And yes, those are actual reasons given.

The Birmingham News

June 08, 2005

DAVE PARKS, News staff writer

CLANTON - Public health authorities on Tuesday unveiled a broad, long-term plan to improve fitness and help Alabama shed a title as the fattest state in the nation.

The 50-page plan outlines a wide range of goals and strategies to encourage healthy eating and physical activity. It recommends changing the way people eat, work and play, and calls for efforts ranging from public education campaigns on nutrition to building more sidewalks to getting students active for at least an hour a day.

The plan was produced over nine months by the Alabama Obesity Task Force, an organization of more than 100 representatives from health care, education, business and community groups.

"It's all fitting together," said Miriam Gaines, co-chair of the task force and nutrition and physical activity director at the state Department of Public Health. "It's an issue of health."

Alabama is struggling with an epidemic of obesity and overweight people, the plan notes. It cites the nonprofit group Trust for America's Health as ranking Alabama the "fattest state" in the nation last year.

The group noted that nearly a third of Alabama adults are obese, and the overweight and obese together constitute two-thirds of the state's adults. The state had the nation's seventh-highest overweight levels for high school students, 13.5 percent, according to the group.

"Overweight and obesity are prevalent and increasing in Alabama," the task force's plan warns, noting that obesity rates in the state jumped 76 percent from 1991 to 2001.

Being overweight and inactive creates a host of health risks, including heart disease, arthritis, cancer, diabetes and high blood pressure. Alabama spends $293 a year per resident for health-care costs related to obesity, according to the report from Trust for America's Health.

"Unless changes are made in lifestyles and behaviors, today's youth may be the first generation in history to not outlive the parents," the plan warns.

`A complex issue':

The plan is a long-term approach to encouraging healthy change, Gaines said.

For instance, the plan calls for communities to build more sidewalks and trails where people can walk and ride bicycles. It cited Auburn as a model community where physical activity is encouraged.

Much of the plan focuses on children. It encourages schools to incorporate at least 60 minutes of physical activity a day for students.

"Data shows an unfortunate decline in physical education requirements in schools," the plan says. It recommends incorporating physical activity into classes, giving students short physical activity breaks, adding PE classes and opening gyms and playground equipment after school and on weekends.

The plan calls for more workplace wellness programs that provide education about healthy eating and activities, more walking programs and more subsidized gym memberships.

When it comes to nutrition, public education is needed to teach people about health problems associated with obesity, portion sizes and healthy food choices, as well as how to read food labels and how to prepare foods, the plan says.

It also calls for training health professionals in preventing and treating weight-related problems. The task force is working on a training manual for doctors and nurses to use with pediatric patients.

The Strategic Plan for Prevention and Control of Overweight and Obesity in Alabama was presented to the task force during a meeting in Clanton. A draft will be circulated to officials around the state and eventually will be distributed to the public. An Internet site is being developed to provide resources and to publicize success stories in the battle against obesity.

Dr. Bonnie Spear, co-chair of the task force and pediatric nutritionist at the University of Alabama at Birmingham, said the plan provides a foundation for action and is needed to attract grant money to Alabama to fight obesity.

The task force is continuing to gather data on the problem, and members are transforming the organization into a coalition to help enact the plan.

The Facts About Health Insurance Premiums

This is a pdf file that explains health insurance premiums and reasons behind most increases. This is provided by a nonprofit Independant licensee of the BlueCross and BlueShield Association in New York. I encourage everyone to take some time and at least look over this.

insurance companies drive high costs as well as other special interests

I am not saying that doesn't happen, by any means, but...

In Alabama, we are among the top 5 in every major Health Problem category including something like 1st in obiesity and diabetes.

Speaking of being fat, the Gastric Bypass costs about $20,000 a pop (from what I have heard). That's just the procedure alone. On average in AL, it costs over $50,000 a person when you figure in any follow up or complications.

Many people grossly misuse their health insurance as well. Things such as going out of network, using the ER for non-emergencies, using Rx when they can get an over the counter med., or taking a brand name when there is a generic available all increase claims paid. Increased claims paid = Increased insurance premiums.

Not all insurance companies are for profit or answer to stock holders, either. Some are actually not-for-profit.

162985[/snapback]

yep, Alabama is the fatest state in the US. 67% are either overweight or morbidly obese

Archived