The Coaching Changes and the Lack of Information

meh130

I did not renew 247. I can't speak to Rivals. However, I do look back at 247's free content. It appears the coaching turnover, and perhaps exacerbated by the pandemic, has resulted in a big drop in information there. I think most of the "insider" sources moved on, which suggests that most of the "insider" sources were coaches and analysts.

The Rocker situation drives home the gap. There was a story on the various positions posted today which speaks as if Rocker is still there. But there are other news stories that say Thamel reported it two days ago, and both Philip Marshall of 247 and Jay Tate of Rivals confirmed it yesterday. But the story posted today, in the comments says Philip Marshal only "thinks" Rocker is going to leave. There was also comments about Big Kat returning, when I saw something last week suggesting he was going to Oklahoma.

That there is so much uncertainty suggests these sites have lost a lot of their sources. It seems there is better "insider" information here.

Is this normal during a coaching change, or does Harsin just run a really tight ship? Did Gus have a more transparent approach? Did he allow his underlings to talk more? I know Saban is notorious about not letting his assistants speak to the press, and I am sure other head coaches are similar, so it could be Harsin just wants things to go through him, and not having any relationships with local reporters means there is a lack of information right now.

But it is quite the change from the ego from that site just 6 weeks ago when it came to the coaching change drama. Suddenly they are a lot less confident.

Related, I am surprised there has not been an official "We wish Tracy Rocker the best, and we will immediately start a search to replace him" comment from Harsin or Greene.

18 minutes ago, meh130 said:

I did not renew 247. I can't speak to Rivals. However, I do look back at 247's free content. It appears the coaching turnover, and perhaps exacerbated by the pandemic, has resulted in a big drop in information there. I think most of the "insider" sources moved on, which suggests that most of the "insider" sources were coaches and analysts.

The Rocker situation drives home the gap. There was a story on the various positions posted today which speaks as if Rocker is still there. But there are other news stories that say Thamel reported it two days ago, and both Philip Marshall of 247 and Jay Tate of Rivals confirmed it yesterday. But the story posted today, in the comments says Philip Marshal only "thinks" Rocker is going to leave. There was also comments about Big Kat returning, when I saw something last week suggesting he was going to Oklahoma.

That there is so much uncertainty suggests these sites have lost a lot of their sources. It seems there is better "insider" information here.

Is this normal during a coaching change, or does Harsin just run a really tight ship? Did Gus have a more transparent approach? Did he allow his underlings to talk more? I know Saban is notorious about not letting his assistants speak to the press, and I am sure other head coaches are similar, so it could be Harsin just wants things to go through him, and not having any relationships with local reporters means there is a lack of information right now.

But it is quite the change from the ego from that site just 6 weeks ago when it came to the coaching change drama. Suddenly they are a lot less confident.

Related, I am surprised there has not been an official "We wish Tracy Rocker the best, and we will immediately start a search to replace him" comment from Harsin or Greene.

I am probably dropping my sub and just following Pete from here on. 

1 hour ago, meh130 said:

I said something similar a couple of days ago. Thamel’s tweet plainly said that Rocker had been ‘targeted’ and ‘would likely’ join the Eagles. PM and JGT parroted that info. Meanwhile there is still nothing in the Eagles website. I gave up Rivals and 247 a few years ago and haven’t missed it. They have about as much access to the coaches and inside info as I do which is none. 2021 sports ‘media’ is taking a tweet from one person and repackaging it several different ways as breaking news. Then attending a 30 minute press conference, and sending out small morsels of ‘articles’ over the next 4 or 5 days. I kind of feel bad for those guys. 

1 hour ago, Tigerpro2a said:

I am probably dropping my sub and just following Pete from here on. 

Dropped my sub a couple months ago.

I too have wondered about the lack of official reports of Rocker's leaving.

This is the kind of unwanted drama I hoped we'd avoid.

I figure stuff will just pop up here soon enough. 

1 hour ago, chizhead said:

24/7 is the abyss of sports reporting. They have no sources and PM is unreadable. Its a waste of money with better info provided  here

I have kept it solely for the CBS All Access and I do like Keith N and his recruiting tidbits but I usually can get those here or TOS within a couple hours of his drop.

Thalmel is just a high stakes freelancer. He throws educated guesses out there as if they're done deals and enough pan out so he (and his flunkies) can say SEE, SEE? The thing that has always amazed me about him is how many established sports journalists cover his rear when he's flat wrong. SI routinely fires and re-hires him, maybe because Finebaum, Sheridan, Forde et al trumpeting his shock jock rumors gives him enough clicks?

46 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

Wouldn't it help in recruiting defensive linemen if the recruits knew who their DL coach was gonna be.

True, but a rumor mill may be worse than reality and reality right now is Harsin is interviewing.   I suspect he is trying to get that HR hire and considering this recruiting cycle quasi-lost. 

I bet he just holds spots and takes transfers from Spring when kids realize they didn't work hard enough at their present school.

17 hours ago, oracle79 said:

Hopefully Harsin has just clamped down on the leaking info. I gotta believe it doesn't hurt that he doesn't have Sexton for his agent also.

It also doesn't hurt that a coach(s) on the former staff were the "sources" for some of the leaks these guys were getting and now that dried up.  Frankly, I'm glad the shills lost their inside access to the program.  

This football staff turnover has been major.  Whole new group of guys coming in at every level from different parts of the country...guys coming in that our media folks have no relationships with.  It's a far cry from the days of Chizik where I swear Luper and Trooper practically had accounts on here and were giving live updates.

Archived