WaPo: Three Pinocchios for Biden's claim about foreign contracts under Trump

TitanTiger

4 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2021/01/27/bidens-jab-that-foreign-company-contracts-went-up-30-under-trump/

After the farrago of lies and bull**** over the last four years, the Biden admin doesn't need silly, stupid own goals like this.

Man, ya know...I'm gonna give Biden the benefit of a doubt here. Reading that WaPo article at MSN (because you don't need to subscribe...but same article) shows that the WaPo researchers first came up with this:

...but a recent check of the data, for contracts over $5 million between January 2017 and December 2019, concluded that the sum of foreign-sourced obligations increased 28 percent in that time frame, which is almost three years — and not fiscal years, but calendar years.

There's an update to the article using numbers provided by Pulse of GovCon based on data from SAM.gov that shows a much lower number. But it's a long and complex article and if the WaPo's own researchers -- multiple researchers -- had trouble getting the number...well...they aren't dumb folks.

Gaffe. Mistake. Whatever you want to call it. It appears (though with all the caveats in that article I'm uncertain) that Biden was wrong. But what I don't get is that Biden intentionally lied or misled. Do you?

1 minute ago, CleCoTiger said:

Man, ya know...I'm gonna give Biden the benefit of a doubt here. Reading that WaPo article at MSN (because you don't need to subscribe...but same article) shows that the WaPo researchers first came up with this:

There's an update to the article using numbers provided by Pulse of GovCon based on data from SAM.gov that shows a much lower number. But it's a long and complex article and if the WaPo's own researchers -- multiple researchers -- had trouble getting the number...well...they aren't dumb folks.

Gaffe. Mistake. Whatever you want to call it. It appears (though with all the caveats in that article I'm uncertain) that Biden was wrong. But what I don't get is that Biden intentionally lied or misled. Do you?

I think he was fed a stat by his staff to use as a talking point.  His staff should know better.  Trump and his track record have given you plenty of easy, low-hanging fruit with which to criticize him and make favorable comparisons to what Biden's administration is doing.  Don't pad the stats with fuzzy numbers like this.  You don't need it and it opens you to the charge of being "no different" than your predecessor.  Even though I think that charge is bull****, perception is what matters here.  Be above reproach.

I expect more of the same. He can barely get through a press conference. 

30 minutes ago, autigeremt said:

He seems to get through press conferences, debates and speeches pretty well to me. Some folks want to try and twist his delivery (due to fighting stuttering) into some sort of mental thing. It isn't. And Biden does make gaffes. But we all make mistakes. The difference between Biden and the prior occupant of the White House is that Biden seems willing to admit his mistakes.

57 minutes ago, autigeremt said:

Seems to be handling pressers just fine. 

Archived