Relief...sorta

bigbird

https://reason.com/2021/02/18/bidens-coronavirus-relief-package-has-almost-nothing-to-do-with-the-coronavirus/?fbclid=IwAR3fhtGEf449FToRu8XWqzc7mXfGNriD5bjxriG9m5CXGGVpS6cBC-5FH9Q&amp

I believe there needs to be another stimulus for most families and communities, but as in most bills, the pork turns me off to the benefits.  Why can't we spend our money wiser?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy... or double-edged sword... or chicken and egg... hell, I don't know the right cliche/metaphor. But I guess this happens because these people- on both sides- make it so hard to pass anything on its own. 

I happen to see merit in most of what that article discusses, but I can't argue the central point. Doesn't seem like a lot of that money will be spent immediately and urgently on the current crisis. Now, will it be needed to recover from the crisis? I think a case can be made. But that's a different argument, I suppose. 

As for complaining about states and families getting equal payouts, I find that somewhat humorous. Both sides of the aisle have whined ad nauseam about equality (D) and paying your fair share (R) as long as I've been alive. I'd hate to see the concept of wealthier people receiving their fair share criticized now that it's a Dem dominated government doing it. 

Just a colossal waste of more money destined to line the pockets of the donors of the party. 

Clowns to the left of me and jokers to the right. Middle class Americans are stuck in the middle. 

14 hours ago, wdefromtx said:

Just a colossal waste of more money destined to line the pockets of the donors of the party. 

Clowns to the left of me and jokers to the right. Middle class Americans are stuck in the middle.

stuck.gif.2db4775e9f27eff8bba5032b477db675.gif

Looks like the Dems are about to shoot themselves in the foot on purpose by trying to do something with the minimum wage in this bill. They know the rules for reconciliation. I would not be surprised if they F this up even more and drag it out.

6 minutes ago, wdefromtx said:

You can have lots of pulled pork sandwiches with all that pork stuff in there!! 

We must pass it now! The country's well being depends on it!

I agree @icanthearyou, it an absolute travesty to have that amount of pork trying to be passed off as critical need. 

Which fluff in the bill upsets you the most and which do you support?

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

We must pass it now! The country's well being depends on it!

If it was brisket, I would say do it. I am not much of a pulled pork person. 

3 hours ago, bigbird said:

I agree @icanthearyou, it an absolute travesty to have that amount of pork trying to be passed off as critical need. 

Which fluff in the bill upsets you the most and which do you support?

Did you post about the previous “relief” deals?

6 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

I don't think so, but I'm not 100%.  Did you?

Just now, bigbird said:

I don't think so, but I'm not 100%.  Did you?

I don’t recall. The first one was 2.2 trillion. If someone did a similar misleading pie chart on how much went to “Covid health spending” it would have been even less than 9%. It was mostly economic and not that precisely targeted. Tons of abuse and other checks going to folks not economically impacted much, if any, by Covid. Sure, this Bill can be picked apart, too. Many criticisms will be valid, but those won’t likely come from McCarthy.

On 2/25/2021 at 4:41 PM, bigbird said:

He didn't get it

Happens all too often. Just saying. 

37 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

I don’t recall. The first one was 2.2 trillion. If someone did a similar misleading pie chart on how much went to “Covid health spending” it would have been even less than 9%. It was mostly economic and not that precisely targeted. Tons of abuse and other checks going to folks not economically impacted much, if any, by Covid. Sure, this Bill can be picked apart, too. Many criticisms will be valid, but those won’t likely come from McCarthy.

So what you are mad someone didn't post about the first one? Jeez, how about focusing on the present. You know it's bad, condemn it dammit and move on!

59 minutes ago, AUFAN78 said:

So what you are mad someone didn't post about the first one? Jeez, how about focusing on the present. You know it's bad, condemn it dammit and move on!

Not mad, just think the discrepancy is interesting. I don’t “know it’s bad.” I think it’s typical, which in this case means some much needed stuff with some other things that meet an agenda.

2 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

I recall he did, we discussed the wasteful spending and wondered how many cronies made out like bandits.

Did you defend the first one? Or just now defending since it is all by the dems?

51 minutes ago, wdefromtx said:

I recall he did, we discussed the wasteful spending and wondered how many cronies made out like bandits.

Gotta a link to refresh Bird’s and my memories because I didn’t find it?

I felt similar to the other bills as this one— all three should have been better targeted— focus on small businesses and those who’ve lost work, not cutting everyone a check. But something needs to be done.

Just now, TexasTiger said:

Gotta a link to refresh Bird’s and my memories?

If you want it bad you can search for it. Not worth wasting my time going back. I don't think he started the particular thread, but it was discussed. I am pretty sure we discussed it in round two as well. 

Besides, he is talk about the current bill. Not last year's so not sure why it even matters.

1 minute ago, wdefromtx said:

If you want it bad you can search for it. Not worth wasting my time going back. I don't think he started the particular thread, but it was discussed. I am pretty sure we discussed it in round two as well. 

Besides, he is talk about the current bill. Not last year's so not sure why it even matters.

I looked for it and he doesn’t recall it. I assumed you were doing what you do best— just making s*** up.

Archived