Relief...sorta

bigbird

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, augolf1716 said:

Nope......................... beer my boy beer

well i am disappointed but i still consider you a legend...............if you ever got high i could not begon to imagine the awesome stoner stories you could tell.

9 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

well i am disappointed but i still consider you a legend...............if you ever got high i could not begon to imagine the awesome stoner stories you could tell.

Oh I got the stories I've told you one of my girlfriends "from Miami" at Auburn was the biggest dope dealer at AU. A true hippie girl she protested at the Dem convention in Chicago got arrested  along with Abby Hoffman. Girl made straight A's at AU. Unreal

Just now, augolf1716 said:

Oh I got the stories I've told you one of my girlfriends "from Miami" at Auburn was the biggest dope dealer at AU. A true hippie girl she protested at the Dem convention in Chicago got arrested  along with Abby Hoffman. Girl made straight A's at AU. Unreal

you should write a book. and god i loved hippie girls but i was born too young for most of them back then. i am serious about the book.

On 2/27/2021 at 9:35 AM, bigbird said:

We recently wasted $1.3 trillion on the F35 fighter jet.  We could have cut out losses years ago, but some people in congress insisted on throwing good money after bad.  That is repeated over and over in our military spending. kickback program.  The chart above is not accurate.  I agree that the minimum wage increase should not be included and it won't be. Instead , a separate bill should increase the wage to $10/hr.

8 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

We recently wasted $1.3 trillion on the F35 fighter jet.  We could have cut out losses years ago, but some people in congress insisted on throwing good money after bad.  That is repeated over and over in our military spending. kickback program.  The chart above is not accurate.  I agree that the minimum wage increase should not be included and it won't be. Instead , a separate bill should increase the wage to $10/hr.

Isn't it funny how people always get up in arms- no pun intended- over bad spending as soon as it also includes helping people a little as opposed to just lining the pockets of DoD contractors. 

9 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Isn't it funny how people always get up in arms- no pun intended- over bad spending as soon as it also includes helping people a little as opposed to just lining the pockets of DoD contractors. 

Absolutely

19 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

Many that are complaining now have expressed the same frustration over the DoD spending as well. 

45 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

i was stationed at the pentagon and worked for a navy captain in a command center for the chief of naval operations. and he told me as fact that there were in reality two military budgets. one everyone knew about and a secret one. nothing to do with the cia or anything just more money shoveled under the table and he told me if folks ever knew and found out about it they would have a fit. i got out in 77 so i lost my insider type knowledge but i bet it is still happening. but with computers it might not because i bet it is hard to hide these days. computers back then were still using punch cards for info.

1 hour ago, AU9377 said:

We recently wasted $1.3 trillion on the F35 fighter jet.  We could have cut out losses years ago, but some people in congress insisted on throwing good money after bad. 

Ridiculous, right! 

I agree the defense spending is way too bloated.

If fact, I wouldn't mind raising taxes, if it was in conjunction with some sort of spending reduction. 

Looks like Manchin has thrown a wrench into things again. I bet the democrats try to oust him from their party. Lmao They do great when someone doesn’t fall in complete step with their BS. 

57 minutes ago, wdefromtx said:

Looks like Manchin has thrown a wrench into things again. I bet the democrats try to oust him from their party. Lmao They do great when someone doesn’t fall in complete step with their BS. 

He's going to get the Dems KILLED in 2022.

(Don't forget who his daughter is, BTW.)

26 minutes ago, AUwent said:

He's going to get the Dems KILLED in 2022.

(Don't forget who his daughter is, BTW.)

For interjecting some common sense into the situation? For being more fiscally conservative than his fellow dems? 

They may get killed in 2022, but it will be their own fault not Manchin’s. 

However, I think he and others should be going after all the other wasteful spending in it such as the money for Native American Language Preservation (or whatever it was.) Crap like that is stuff that needs to be in a bill that isn’t this crisis bill. So much pork in this buying other senators votes. 

6 minutes ago, wdefromtx said:

For interjecting some common sense into the situation? For being more fiscally conservative than his fellow dems? 

They may get killed in 2022, but it will be their own fault not Manchin’s. 

However, I think he and others should be going after all the other wasteful spending in it such as the money for Native American Language Preservation (or whatever it was.) Crap like that is stuff that needs to be in a bill that isn’t this crisis bill. So much pork in this buying other senators votes. 

"Common sense"

The majority of Americans support pretty much every key component of the original bill.

https://www.businessinsider.com/three-quarters-of-voters-support-biden-covid-stimulus-plan-poll-2021-2

https://www.forbes.com/sites/joewalsh/2021/02/09/poll-both-democrats-and-republicans-want-a-covid-relief-package---and-many-think-bigger-is-better/?sh=425ede967b4a

15 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Funny thing about those articles, they fail to mention that respondents of their polling likely have no clue about the junk stuffed into it. I’m sure many support it if all they know is some of the key components of it. If people would just do some of their own research they’d wake up. 

Common sense is to look through it and scrap things that have no business being in it. People continuously turning a blind eye to it all is part of the reason we have this problem in the first place. 

1 hour ago, wdefromtx said:

Funny thing about those articles, they fail to mention that respondents of their polling likely have no clue about the junk stuffed into it. I’m sure many support it if all they know is some of the key components of it. If people would just do some of their own research they’d wake up. 

Common sense is to look through it and scrap things that have no business being in it. People continuously turning a blind eye to it all is part of the reason we have this problem in the first place. 

"Yeah, well, people only disagree with me because the polls didn't argue it the way I want them too!"

(Just for the record I criticize those on the left who deny the results of polls that don't go their way--even when I agree with the left wing position. You're no different.)

25 minutes ago, AUwent said:

"Yeah, well, people only disagree with me because the polls didn't argue it the way I want them too!"

(Just for the record I criticize those on the left who deny the results of polls that don't go their way--even when I agree with the left wing position. You're no different.)

Not denying the results of the poll, but it defeats the purpose of asking if people are for or against something if you only tell them certain information about it. Which is exactly what DC wants from people. Ignorance must be bliss. 

11 hours ago, wdefromtx said:

Not denying the results of the poll, but it defeats the purpose of asking if people are for or against something if you only tell them certain information about it. Which is exactly what DC wants from people. Ignorance must be bliss. 

Polls are all about how questions are proposed.

Do you believe Americans need a third stimulus package?

Yes      No

Do you think Americans could use an extra $1400 stimulus check?

Yes      No

Do you think businesses have suffered during the pandemic and could use some relief from the government?

Yes       No

10 hours ago, bigbird said:

Polls are all about how questions are proposed.

Do you believe Americans need a third stimulus package?

Yes      No

Do you think Americans could use an extra $1400 stimulus check?

Yes      No

Do you think businesses have suffered during the pandemic and could use some relief from the government?

Yes       No

I know right?!?! Lol 

It’s very easy to polish a turd when you pick and choose your questions like that. 

The stimulus checks are essentially the sweetener for us to go along with the extra crap they stuff in it. 

IIRC, the senate stripped out funding for a bridge in upstate New York that was in the house version. My engineering classes must have skipped how bridges are related to viruses and pandemics. 

17 hours ago, wdefromtx said:

I know right?!?! Lol 

It’s very easy to polish a turd when you pick and choose your questions like that. 

The stimulus checks are essentially the sweetener for us to go along with the extra crap they stuff in it. 

IIRC, the senate stripped out funding for a bridge in upstate New York that was in the house version. My engineering classes must have skipped how bridges are related to viruses and pandemics. 

:-\  

Not to argue a specific case, but most of what is in this bill is economic stimulus, not directly fighting the pandemic.

1 hour ago, homersapien said:

:-\  

Not to argue a specific case, but most of what is in this bill is economic stimulus, not directly fighting the pandemic.

Glad you realize it’s full of junk that has no business being in it. Also, certainly glad you didn’t think it was supposed to directly fight the pandemic. 

That said, there’s a huge difference in providing economic stimulus in a rescue bill and putting together a bill that sprinkles a little stimulus on top with billions and billions of money to line the pockets of special interest groups, etc. 

19 minutes ago, wdefromtx said:

Glad you realize it’s full of junk that has no business being in it.

Of course, I didn't say that.  :-\  That's what is known as "begging the question" - a logical fallacy.  

C'mon, (I think) you're better than that.

24 minutes ago, wdefromtx said:

Also, certainly glad you didn’t think it was supposed to directly fight the pandemic. 

The name of the bill was a good tip:

The Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act, also known as the CARES Act.

That said, there’s a huge difference in providing economic stimulus in a rescue bill and putting together a bill that sprinkles a little stimulus on top with billions and billions of money to line the pockets of special interest groups, etc. 

Got data to go with that argument or are you just winging it? ;D

Archived