Takes zero talent to be tough

AUgrad2013

Had a long discussion with one of Coach Dyes old players.  He stressed this over and over again.  Kept saying how soft strength and conditioning had gotten and how soft practices were.  Allegedly, Malzahns soft practices were a sticking point with Kevin Steele with the boosters

15 hours ago, ToomersStreet said:

Had a long discussion with one of Coach Dyes old players.  He stressed this over and over again.  Kept saying how soft strength and conditioning had gotten and how soft practices were.  Allegedly, Malzahns soft practices were a sticking point with Kevin Steele with the boosters

Yet was always saw workout hype video's posted on here all the time and players who were "gym rats" getting exposure for years. :dunno:

Harsin is right tough is a mind set. I like that he has talked about playing 1st team O against 1st team D. I agree Malzan's practices were to soft from what I read but there is a difference when comparing a Dye Practice to a Malzan practice in that rules have changed, how many practices and how long the practices can go on a day. Todays players need to have a mind set of doing extra work on their own if they want that little edge.

Going to a different era and not Auburn story I remember reading about Sweetness (Walter Payton) and his summer workouts.  The Bears had a signed a rookie RB he was bigger and faster then Payton who they were hoping would be his replacement in the future and they sent him down to workout with Payton he threw up half way through Payton's workout and left.  To be honest I don't know if that was a true story or not but it doesn't matter the point is to be great you have to work harder than the other guy. 

That is how walk-ons become starters and sometimes even Stars.

Archived