2022 #1 K (Kohls) Alex McPhearson Commits To Auburn

AUMicBK

Meet Alex McPherson, Auburn football’s successor to the Carlsons with a kicking dynasty of his own

Updated: Nov. 24, 2021, 8:00 a.m. | Published: Nov. 24, 2021, 8:00 a.m.

By Nick Alvarez | nalvarez@al.com

Sometime before Evan McPherson left for Florida in 2019, he needed to hear a warning.

David Stanley, an alum and special teams coach at their alma mater Fort Payne, told Evan to not worry about filling the shoes of former-Gator Eddy Piniero. Stanley told him to avoid social media. Don’t watch sports T.V. “You gotta tune it out.” It wasn’t the first time Stanley had given this talk.

Evan’s brother, Logan McPherson, heard the same thing four years prior before he went to Louisiana Tech after kicking for Fort Payne. Stanley knows the peaks and pratfalls of one of football’s more thankless positions. The youngest McPherson, Alex, experienced both this season.

Months after committing to Auburn, Alex, the top-ranked recruit in the class, was given one of kicking’s more bittersweet gifts: opportunity. Due to high school rules, he often boomed tries that look comical on film. Alex finished 13 of 24 overall, but connected went 7-2 on attempts inside 45 yards. He was impressively close on some, like coming up a few yards short on a 70-yarder.

Except the misses weren’t, aren’t, justified for McPhersons. Stanley said he’d avoid Alex for a few minutes after failed tries. Alex, like his brothers, constantly works on his craft. He and Fort Payne head coach Chris Elmore have often compared leg-path in football to a golfer’s swing.

Even though Alex’s season is over, he is still kicking. It’s the mindset he’ll take to the Plains next year, succeeding the eight-year Carlson dynasty after capping off the McPherson’s own. Alex’s conflict, one he watched his brothers navigate, will only be amplified in college.

“Logan paved the way for Evan,” Stanley said, “Evan did the same thing for Alex. ... Alex, arguably, in my opinion, has the strongest leg of all three of them.

Stanley would tell them when you’re attempting the kick, it’s just you, the holder and the snapper. But Alex carries a brotherly bond with every try. When Evan hit a 60-yard Alabama state record his senior year, it was an 8th-grade Alex that held the snap.

He knows of their success and failures — like Evan’s premature celebration after missing in overtime with the Cincinnati Bengals in October. Alex’s goal was to break Evan’s record, always launching from 65- and 70-yards out pregame. In high school, once a ball crosses the goal line it can’t be returned. Basically, Alex’s longest misses this year were touchbacks. Still, Alex expected three points all the same.

“As with all kickers, their No. 1 critic is themselves,” Stanley said, “He would get upset because he thought he could make those. It’s always tricky coaching someone like him. ... There are some no one just really expects you to make.”

Alex’s remedy is more kicks. When he set a state record with a 61-yard field goal, it was his third attempt that night from at least that far. After in-game failures, he would be right back at the net, regardless of whether or not the snap or hold was botched. Even on makes, Elmore would overhear a grunt. “I just didn’t like how that one flew,” Alex would say when asked what was wrong.

Stanley, who was at Logan’s first game at Louisiana Tech and Evan’s in Gainseville, has plans to attend Auburn’s 2022 opener for Alex. It’s Alex’s technique and thought process that set him up for success, Stanley reasons. One he learned from his brothers. It carried Alex through 56 games at Fort Payne, a presumed school record. He’s scheduled to play in the Alabama-Mississippi All-Star and Under Armour All-America games, just like Evan.

The summer between Evan and Alex’s tenure at Fort Payne, the brothers would haul a bag of balls to the field in the 95-degree heat and practice. For about an hour most days, they would swap tries. Elmore, who would see them often, likened it to two great golfers on a range swapping pointers. Eventually, Evan continued onto the Gators and his path toward being the lone kicker taken in the 2021 NFL Draft. Alex continued onto Fort Payne’s record books and soon Auburn, this time by himself.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, fredst said:

He looks like the softest kicker we’ve ever recruited. Must have Texas roots

Don't fear, those roots run shallow.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Coach Harsin dropped in today to see Alex and family. 

2A2D3A4E-0D04-4016-BEFE-0ACAE41137DB.jpeg

E4CAEB3D-B7EF-446C-8DF1-08411FC31E30.jpeg

• Like 3

14 hours ago, autigeremt said:

Coach Harsin dropped in today to see Alex and family. 

2A2D3A4E-0D04-4016-BEFE-0ACAE41137DB.jpeg

Harsin is not a big man so this kid is tiny.  How the heck does that leg work so well on such a small package?  HAHAHAHA

10 minutes ago, LKEEL75 said:

Harsin is not a big man so this kid is tiny.  How the heck does that leg work so well on such a small package?  HAHAHAHA

Bionic leg?

InsignificantDefinitiveAyeaye-size_restricted.gif

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, LKEEL75 said:

Distance is created by a combination of speed and mass striking the ball. A smaller player needs more leg speed to achieve same distance. Also hitting the ball in the sweet spot.  

30 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Distance is created by a combination of speed and mass striking the ball. A smaller player needs more leg speed to achieve same distance. Also hitting the ball in the sweet spot.  

Y'all ever seen soccer players?  They usually aren't large, but damn can they kick a ball.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

F=MxA    Is that right?     

Pretty sure that is what the physics book said.  

12 minutes ago, Beaker said:

F=MxA    Is that right?     

Pretty sure that is what the physics book said.  

You put what I said into scientific terminology. Force =mass times acceleration. Mass is leg size and acceleration is the speed the leg is moving as it strikes the ball. Technically speed and aceleration are not the same thing but everybody gets the idea.😀

Edited by AuburnNTexas

1 minute ago, AuburnNTexas said:

You put what I said into scientific terminology. Force =mass times acceleration. Mass is leg size and acceleration is the speed the leg is moving as it strikes the ball. Technically speed and aceleration are not the same thing but everybody gets the idea.😀

You are so 'on it'!  

Is it really the leg size or the amount of matter in the leg?     I know we are splitting (leg)hairs here, but - 

(geesh, I crack myself up)

5 minutes ago, Beaker said:

You are so 'on it'!  

Is it really the leg size or the amount of matter in the leg?     I know we are splitting (leg)hairs here, but - 

(geesh, I crack myself up)

I was drinking Ice Tea when I read this. That wasn't nice I laughed so hard it came out of my nose.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, LKEEL75 said:

Bryan Harsin is at least 6 foot or 6'1", so the kickers height is about avg.

The rare height on kickers is the Carlson brothers. It is very rare you see kickers 6'4" like them. 

Most kickers are 5'9" to 6'1" on avg....

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, bigbird said:

No, he kicks it. You're looking for who snaps it...

So glad to see that you have finally grasped the concept.

13 hours ago, C'viewTiger said:

Long Snapper??? 

Transitively, he is an offensive tackle. You see, long snappers are also offensive tackles, because they play special teams. Therefore, all special teams players are offensive tackles.

I think it's safe to say that we're all more excited to find out that young Mr. McPherson is an offensive tackle than he is. 

• Haha 2