Softball vs Alabama Game 1

6 minutes ago, around4ever said:

This UAT’s #2 pitcher.  Her stats are actually better than #1 but she is still #2.  

Fouts is good.  I think Murphy saw the tape and figured his team could hit Penta and started his Number 2 to save Fouts for Shelby.  She's the pitcher he is most concerned about with her spin and changing speeds.

2 minutes ago, chizhead said:

The last 7 times that AU has loaded the bases, EXACTLY ONE RUN has scored...No excuses, thats on Mickey Dean and poor situation management.......

I can’t disagree but you have to put some blame on the hitters or in our case the batters. 

Hemphill hits a another monster shot to center.  6-0.  5 RBI's for Hemphill.  King makes a nice catch in left for out 2.  Dowell makes another nice play for out 3.  Time to put on the rally caps.  We've done it before.

• ellitor changed the title to Softball vs Alabama Game 1

Millen pinch hits to lead off and strikes out.  Engelkes pinch hits and grounds out to short.  Dowell grounds out for out 3.  Final, 6-0 Bammer.  This is a young team and we haven't played the quality of this team.  They are deep and loaded with upperclassmen.  We have to keep pounding.

We have a few things to work on, but all in all, not a surprising result. There were some bright spots, and some glaring incompetencies that need fixing, such as the seeming inability of Packer to put down a bunt, the ability to get the ball  out of the infield (or at least put the ball into play) with RISP. We'll get better.

26 minutes ago, Hspoprn said:

We have a few things to work on, but all in all, not a surprising result. There were some bright spots, and some glaring incompetencies that need fixing, such as the seeming inability of Packer to put down a bunt, the ability to get the ball  out of the infield (or at least put the ball into play) with RISP. We'll get better.

And don't forget not throwing to Hemphill 

1 hour ago, around4ever said:

With Dowell up, I don’t steal there.  

I don't know that I agree.  It's a combination of odds on what will happen.  First, King was 3 for 3 in stealing bases; so odds were she will make it.  She was called out and didn't protest, but I thought she might have been safe.  The tag was high.  The consequence of her being called out is that Dowell gets to lead off the next inning.  If she steals and make it, then a clean single scores her; whereas it requires a gap double or homer to score her from first.  She might even score off a bad throw to first, if she starts from second.  If there were fewer than two outs, I'd agree with you wholeheartedly.  

I've noticed Dean doing this several times this season in this situation.  Speedy runner on first, two outs, good hitter at the plate.  The arithmetic gets complicated, but the key number is probably 12%, which is the percentage of Dowell's hits that go for extra bases.  So King's chances to score are 88/12 = 7.3 times greater if she is on second.  It seems to me it's a chance worth taking, especially since Dowell leads off the next inning.  Just my thoughts.

0 walks with 10 Ks out of 21 outs is a killer. The value of putting the ball in play becomes paramount when the opposing pitcher is dealing. 

37 minutes ago, OlderWhiskey said:

I don't know that I agree.  It's a combination of odds on what will happen.  First, King was 3 for 3 in stealing bases; so odds were she will make it.  She was called out and didn't protest, but I thought she might have been safe.  The tag was high.  The consequence of her being called out is that Dowell gets to lead off the next inning.  If she steals and make it, then a clean single scores her; whereas it requires a gap double or homer to score her from first.  She might even score off a bad throw to first, if she starts from second.  If there were fewer than two outs, I'd agree with you wholeheartedly.  

I've noticed Dean doing this several times this season in this situation.  Speedy runner on first, two outs, good hitter at the plate.  The arithmetic gets complicated, but the key number is probably 12%, which is the percentage of Dowell's hits that go for extra bases.  So King's chances to score are 88/12 = 7.3 times greater if she is on second.  It seems to me it's a chance worth taking, especially since Dowell leads off the next inning.  Just my thoughts.

King was out definitely 

13 hours ago, OlderWhiskey said:

And, when you are not doing anything other than singles or making an out, you have to try to make things happen, including stealing bases, so that anything that happens next(hit, error, etc), could bring us a run to jump start us.

I thought it was interesting that we could not get 1 extra base hit. So infield hits and singles, around no walks, was bad since we could not capitalize when runners were in scoring position. 

Still disappointed in our seniors who I thought would carry the youngsters some (Rivera and Perry). 

it was tough on freshman Schmidt for sure as she left 6 on base when she got up to bat.

Hopefully this will not turn out like our last SEC series...... UF was 1 year ago this week.....  the great chess match of softball.... 

Archived