Bo Nix, Jesus, & Criticism walk into a bar

W.E.D

12 hours ago, SaturdayGT said:

Ya nailed the first paragraph, feel like you  over-thought the rest.....at least based on what was posted. ...I didn't see the first question in the interview, so I may not know the context...in the OP, Nix opens up "As for the second question..."...He was obviously asked how he deals with criticism, so he had to answer....I just dont see the drama.

"There's nothing you can do about it." As someone pointed out, nobody is criticizing Tank.

Bo was asked the question because he has struggled mightily. Everyone DOESN'T receive criticism to this level. It isn't something random or undeserved. It isn't something he should shrug at and assume is just a normal part of the gig.

If he plays better, the criticisms will vanish. Jason Campbell was heavily criticized for three years. That completely stopped in 2004. 

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, steeleagle said:

I don’t think it implies that at all. 

all he is saying is even someone that is perfect like Jesus was criticized by his followers. So bo being an imperfect expects to be criticized. Comes w the territory. 

to derive anything negative from his comment is stretching it to far to find criticism. 

I just look at it within the context of Bo's career.

Bo makes the same mistakes over and over. He never tries to change or correct simple mistakes. He seems to get externally frustrated (yelling at Morris or his WRs). He complains to the refs a ton.

All of this is evidence of a guy who thinks the problem isn't him. That his results at Auburn have been unlucky or undeserved. 

Viewed within that context, his answer worries me. "There's nothing you can do about it. They'll criticize even the Son of God. So I don't worry about it."

Yeah, well. Jesus' criticism was very much undeserved. Bo's isn't.

It's the full context of all this. There is no evidence that Bo understands how terrible he has played. 

10 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Jesus was the scapegoat to end all scapegoats

Religion still has not found a way to reconcile with that

2 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

I just look at it within the context of Bo's career.

Bo makes the same mistakes over and over. He never tries to change or correct simple mistakes. He seems to get externally frustrated (yelling at Morris or his WRs). He complains to the refs a ton.

All of this is evidence of a guy who thinks the problem isn't him. That his results at Auburn have been unlucky or undeserved. 

Viewed within that context, his answer worries me. "There's nothing you can do about it. They'll criticize even the Son of God. So I don't worry about it."

It's the full context of all this. There is no evidence that Bo understands how terrible he has played. 

Bo has said after games he didn’t play well but we as fans aren’t going to get his personal feedback all the time. I have not seen anything internal within the team that says he doesn’t understand his mistakes. I think he just doesn’t want to dwell on it. If any players may have indicated he is not accepting blame for his inconsistencies then I might go down that path. 
I also know he has had as other QBs seem to have suffered too, a lack of good Qb help from Malzahn. 

but I want to see if 2 ex QBs and now his HC and OC can get him to playing better. 
But I also don’t think his reference to Jesus has anything to do w the fact Jesus’ detractors were wrong and Bo’s complaints valid. That’s not what IMO he is implying, but only relating to criticism in general. 

And I do believe him using Jesus as a reference was probably not going compare favorably especially to those who think he doesn’t accept responsibility for his play. 

Getting frustrated and not accepting responsibility is two different things. I think he puts too much pressure on himself if anything and it leads to frustration. He might be better served by not taking his frustrations out on national tv though.

My thoughts:  Bo needs to focus on improving as a QB because he is a competitor and driven to be successful, not because he wants to avoid criticism.  The only thing he can do to limit the criticism is get better.  If he focuses too much on the criticism, it can, ironically, result him losing confidence in his abilities and prevent him from improving.  He just needs to ignore the naysayers and put in the work to get better.  

26 minutes ago, toddc said:

Getting frustrated and not accepting responsibility is two different things. I think he puts too much pressure on himself if anything and it leads to frustration. He might be better served by not taking his frustrations out on national tv though.

Why doesn't he correct simple mistakes then? If I'm self-critical and desperate to do better, I'd be doing different things and trying to grow. Bo won't even implement fundamentals like stepping into throws.

I think Bo does want to win and does put pressure on himself, but I think he is either stubborn, delusional, or entitled (expecting to just be great because he was in HS and he is a legacy). He keeps doing the same things over and over because he thinks he isn't the issue.

It's all going to be a moot point anyway. Harsin certainly won't allow him to stay stagnant or regress like Gus did. 

48 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

I have not seen anything internal within the team that says he doesn’t understand his mistakes. 

All the evidence I need is his continued back foot throws, bailing too early, and weird throwaway attempts. Those are so easy to correct but he refuses to. I haven't seen one area of Bo's game where he has tried something different or tried to mature.

He just goes and plays and is what he is. It doesn't match how he characterizes himself and being hard on himself, but actions speak louder than words. 

13 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Why doesn't he correct simple mistakes then? If I'm self-critical and desperate to do better, I'd be doing different things and trying to grow. Bo won't even implement fundamentals like stepping into throws.

I think Bo does want to win and does put pressure on himself, but I think he is either stubborn, delusional, or entitled (expecting to just be great because he was in HS and he is a legacy). He keeps doing the same things over and over because he thinks he isn't the issue.

It's all going to be a moot point anyway. Harsin certainly won't allow him to stay stagnant or regress like Gus did. 

You don’t see what he does at practice and on his own to get better. I’m sure he is working his butt off to correct his tendencies every day and it’s going to show this season.

17 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Why doesn't he correct simple mistakes then?

It may seem simple but in reality they may not be if it is muscle memory.  I touched on this last year but Nix never had an opportunity to work with Morris on his mechanics due to COVID.  The time to work on mechanics is the Spring/Summer.  During the Fall is game-oriented.  He has the tools around him in his coaches to fix them now.  I will bet anybody you see massive improvement in his mechanics.

1 hour ago, abw0004 said:

I will bet anybody you see massive improvement in his mechanics.

I'm fully expecting the same, although I said this last spring. The difference, I think, is Bobo. He is going to place an enormous amount of stress on Bo this spring. Sink or swim!

I've been very vocal in explaining how you can tell that Bo didn't put in work to correct problems over the past summer. The question would be was he told to or not I guess. IMO I don't think he really felt that he had a problem. 

Also I think all of the praise he received early that was baseless didn't serve him well. Of course none of know who he listens to, but if you went off of this board there's a chance maybe he listened to other people when they blamed everybody but Bo for mistakes.

Really nobody knows just like some says he had a bad attitude there are some who thinks his attitude is great. I think if you look at everything I'd guess he had a bad one before a good one but nobody can really know. 

The important thing now is you have a coach that will absolutely let him know it's his way and his way only. That's good for everybody involved. 

1 hour ago, abw0004 said:

It may seem simple but in reality they may not be if it is muscle memory.  I touched on this last year but Nix never had an opportunity to work with Morris on his mechanics due to COVID.  The time to work on mechanics is the Spring/Summer.  During the Fall is game-oriented.  He has the tools around him in his coaches to fix them now.  I will bet anybody you see massive improvement in his mechanics.

You and @toddc have to realize the things Bo struggles with aren't complicated. We aren't talking about trying to get Bo to see his 4th read on a progression, or the perfect placement on a back-shoulder, or reading disguised pre-snap defenses or tight window accuracy.

We are talking about grade school fundamentals. Stepping into throws. Staying in the pocket.

It's akin to a baseball player who won't stop swinging at first pitches or who won't square up in front of a grounder. 

The fact these simple corrections aren't being made can only be attributed to a few things: 1. The player doesn't believe they are doing anything wrong. 2. The player is stubborn/uncoachable. 3. The player doesn't hold himself accountable to get better.

None of those 3 are good. 

15 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

You and @toddc have to realize the things Bo struggles with aren't complicated. We aren't talking about trying to get Bo to see his 4th read on a progression, or the perfect placement on a back-shoulder, or reading disguised pre-snap defenses or tight window accuracy.

We are talking about grade school fundamentals. Stepping into throws. Staying in the pocket.

It's akin to a baseball player who won't stop swinging at first pitches or who won't square up in front of a grounder. 

The fact these simple corrections aren't being made can only be attributed to a few things: 1. The player doesn't believe they are doing anything wrong. 2. The player is stubborn/uncoachable. 3. The player doesn't hold himself accountable to get better.

4. The coaches aren't holding him accountable. 

I like Bo and believe the current coaches can help him. I also believe being coached only by your dad your whole life can lead to some developmental issues. And those issues are mainly coachability and self-awareness 

3 hours ago, AUght2win said:

It evidently is NOT that easy to do.

Look, even Cam Newton, who has always said he is trying to get better, is STILL mechanically doing things wrong with his footwork and his throwing motion at times. And he has had 9 years w some of the best offensive coaches in the NFL working with him. 

That's why i want to see Bo with a different coaching staff who understand the QB position for sure better that Gus did. THen we can see if Bo improves on some basic mechanics and awareness issues he has in the pocket. 

I think based on what we know about his family, his father, and their history, tells me he was taught to be respectful, humble so I don't feel he feels anything in the way of entitlement.

1 hour ago, AUght2win said:

maybe things are a little harder than we think, in the moment, on the run or while the play is unfolding....

3 hours ago, AUght2win said:

All the evidence I need is his continued back foot throws, bailing too early, and weird throwaway attempts. Those are so easy to correct but he refuses to. I haven't seen one area of Bo's game where he has tried something different or tried to mature.

He just goes and plays and is what he is. It doesn't match how he characterizes himself and being hard on himself, but actions speak louder than words. 

I get really nervous when you say “actions speak louder than words” on a forum platform.

I never said they were complicated.  What I am saying is he didn’t have the opportunity with the coaches during the summer/spring to get the reps in and commit them to muscle memory.  So during games his bad habits showed up in that muscle memory.  

There is a 4th reason. Maybe he has tried and he simply can't overcome his weaker tendencies.

Look, even Cam Newton who has said and tried to fix his habits, some that are very similar to Bo's (footwork, stepping into throws, etc.). And Cam has had 9 years including some of the best NFL coaches who have tried and worked with him a ton to correct them. Did you see some of his games with NE. Still executing poor mechanics.

Each of your reasons tend to simply put all the blame on Bo not trying in the end, which to me is the farther thing to believe. Why? Bc, Bo or ANY QB who has ANY aspirations to be an NFL QB, is going to work and try everything possible that will make him a better QB for the draft, which is their ultimate goal...

36 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

There is a 4th reason. Maybe he has tried and he simply can't overcome his weaker tendencies.

If he doesn't have to capacity to implement something as rudimentary as stepping forward into a throw, he needs to retire from D1 football.

Look, I like Bo. I believe in Bo. He can be great. But this is ridiculous. Please don't compare him to Cam. Cam has never struggled with something this simple.  

Archived