Fox Sports Rates New Coach Hires

Zeek

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, JDUBB4AU said:

It’s just an opinion list . I’m happy so far with the hire and Gus sucks . 

It can be true that it was time for a change and also true that Gus is a good coach and a good man. People so quickly forget that without him, we would still be looking back to 1957 as the last time we finished the year on top.

10 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

What makes you say that? Because of the slow start? We have proven SEC recruiters on our staff in Bobo who recruited really well when he was at a big program and Will Friend who just recently got two Five star commits at a lesser program at Rocky Top.

Bobo is a bit old, washed out at Colorado St and USC wasn't that great last year. I think he's got a bit of stink on him vs the version of himself when he was at UGA. Outside Friend, we don't have any proven recruiters on our staff.  

In addition, not many ppl know about Boise outside thier blue field. Not many ppl know who Harsin was.  I think that'll change pretty quickly, but they have an up hill climb. 

I think we have a couple guys that will blossom, but right now we've got a lot of unknowns 

2 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Bobo is a bit old, washed out at Colorado St and USC wasn't that great last year. I think he's got a bit of stink on him vs the version of himself when he was at UGA. Outside Friend, we don't have any proven recruiters on our staff.  

In addition, not many ppl know about Boise outside thier blue field. Not many ppl know who Harsin was.  I think that'll change pretty quickly, but they have an up hill climb. 

I think we have a couple guys that will blossom, but right now we've got a lot of unknowns 

A bit old? How's that? He is 47, and his HC is around the same age(45 this year). That's definitely not old, but to me experienced.

Stink? again, how so? when he left GA, he was still at the top as a OC. He was recognized as a very good recruiter, and his offenses put up very good numbers. And his success with molding QBs was knows( guys like David Greene, D.J. Shockley, Matthew Stafford, Aaron Murray all were successful under him).

And I am not going to compare his success as an OC against his time as a HC at CSU. His problem there was he didn't put good defenses on the field. His offenses were good to very good most of the time. Just look at their scores. But his teams D couldn't stop anyone. I.e. they let him go. There are a lot of great coordinators out there that tested the waters as HC and found out they just couldn't be as successful.

And this isn't all Bobo. Harsin will have a lot to say about how we do in recruiting and his offense.

4 hours ago, AU9377 said:

It can be true that it was time for a change and also true that Gus is a good coach and a good man. People so quickly forget that without him, we would still be looking back to 1957 as the last time we finished the year on top.

He had a part in winning a natty , but also a huge part in wrecking our current roster with garbage recruiting as well . I don’t want to turn this into a Gus hate thread. We don’t agree and that’s fine . 

2 hours ago, steeleagle said:

A bit old? How's that? He is 47, and his HC is around the same age(45 this year). That's definitely not old, but to me experienced.

Stink? again, how so? when he left GA, he was still at the top as a OC. He was recognized as a very good recruiter, and his offenses put up very good numbers. And his success with molding QBs was knows( guys like David Greene, D.J. Shockley, Matthew Stafford, Aaron Murray all were successful under him).

And I am not going to compare his success as an OC against his time as a HC at CSU. His problem there was he didn't put good defenses on the field. His offenses were good to very good most of the time. Just look at their scores. But his teams D couldn't stop anyone. I.e. they let him go. There are a lot of great coordinators out there that tested the waters as HC and found out they just couldn't be as successful.

And this isn't all Bobo. Harsin will have a lot to say about how we do in recruiting and his offense.

I agree. 

3 hours ago, steeleagle said:

I thought he was in his 50s at least. He looks older. 

Right he was very good at UGA. Then left and washed out at CSU and was kinda Meh last year (albeit South Carolina). I think some question if he can get back to how good he was at UGA or if offenses have passed him by. I think we'll be fine with a mix of Bob and and Harsin. I think some ar waiting to see it

17 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

At worst I think Harsin still gets to 8 and 9 wins just like Gustav. He just takes a different avenue to get there. We beat the teams we should beat and lose to the teams we should lose to and not pull random rabbit out of the hats like Malzahn did from time to time. Harsin is establishing his culture right now and getting the kind of guys who will buy in at the cost of sacrficing some talent most likely. I do not think we will see recruiting tick back up until the 2023 class. 

If this is what we get from Harsin then I'm not sure he was the right hire. I am tempering some immediate expectations but frankly we should be able to recruit better in 22 then what we are seeing so far. 

I'd rather pull some random rabbits out of the hat then go strictly 8-4 losing to everyone better than us. As has been mentioned by a few others here, if it takes until 2023 to see some wins on the recruiting trail, this is going to be a slog and Harsin probably doesn't last to see it through. 

11 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

I thought he was in his 50s at least. He looks older. 

Right he was very good at UGA. Then left and washed out at CSU and was kinda Meh last year (albeit South Carolina). I think some question if he can get back to how good he was at UGA or if offenses have passed him by. I think we'll be fine with a mix of Bob and and Harsin. I think some ar waiting to see it

Count me as one of these as well. (Wait and see) I think Harsin was a pretty good hire but he lost some of the shine with the Bobo hire. Neither CSU or USC have been sad to see him go. His offense seems to have been passed by the rest of CFB so it will be interesting to see if that has been a product of his destinations or him. That's before we get into the racism stink on him from CSU that made headlines. 

That said the Mason hire on the other side I think was great and am excited to see what can be put together on that side. 

9 minutes ago, VAtiger12 said:

Count me as one of these as well. (Wait and see) I think Harsin was a pretty good hire but he lost some of the shine with the Bobo hire. Neither CSU or USC have been sad to see him go. His offense seems to have been passed by the rest of CFB so it will be interesting to see if that has been a product of his destinations or him. That's before we get into the racism stink on him from CSU that made headlines. 

That said the Mason hire on the other side I think was great and am excited to see what can be put together on that side. 

I'm not sure I'd be excited about Bobo alone. Bobo plus Harsin should hopefully be good. 

43 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

I'm not sure I'd be excited about Bobo alone. Bobo plus Harsin should hopefully be good. 

But we've also just seen what can happen if a head coach is micromanaging one side of the ball so .. it's definitely a catch-22

1 hour ago, VAtiger12 said:

But we've also just seen what can happen if a head coach is micromanaging one side of the ball so .. it's definitely a catch-22

Most CFB coaches micromanage one side or the other depending on their perceived (by themselves) expertise. Harsin’s offense (his perceived expertise according to his past life as a non-HC) is one of the purported reasons for hiring him. I think we hope he has a good bit to do with it in case/when Bobo moves on to his next HC role.

3 hours ago, VAtiger12 said:

go strictly 8-4 losing to everyone better than us

Wow. He never said that. This is how arguments get started. He said at minimum he should be able to provide that. 

15 hours ago, Hank2020 said:

Most CFB coaches micromanage one side or the other depending on their perceived (by themselves) expertise. Harsin’s offense (his perceived expertise according to his past life as a non-HC) is one of the purported reasons for hiring him. I think we hope he has a good bit to do with it in case/when Bobo moves on to his next HC role.

Totally understand, I was just under the impression we mostly wanted a 'CEO' type head coach? 

45 minutes ago, VAtiger12 said:

Totally understand, I was just under the impression we mostly wanted a 'CEO' type head coach? 

The two are not mutually exclusive.

There might not be a single aspect of football or any other sport that is binary. Still, fans will always try to make it that. Not sure why. 

And I'm not taking a shot at you here. It really does happen with almost every conversation. 

4 hours ago, McLoofus said:

The two are not mutually exclusive.

There might not be a single aspect of football or any other sport that is binary. Still, fans will always try to make it that. Not sure why. 

And I'm not taking a shot at you here. It really does happen with almost every conversation. 

You always increase my conversational English with your posts. Very helpful!!

On 5/16/2021 at 3:18 PM, JDUBB4AU said:

He had a part in winning a natty , but also a huge part in wrecking our current roster with garbage recruiting as well . I don’t want to turn this into a Gus hate thread. We don’t agree and that’s fine . 

He had nothing to do with the good recruiting classes though right?

5 hours ago, AU9377 said:

He had nothing to do with the good recruiting classes though right?

I don’t give a damn what place AU was in the recruiting rankings. Gus didn’t do a damn thing with the talent he had.  Good recruiting equals good roster management . You get your guys in the right spots . You can sign every 5 star WR you want , but if you don’t sign the guys you need in the trenches it doesn’t matter. 

10 hours ago, JDUBB4AU said:

I don’t give a damn what place AU was in the recruiting rankings. Gus didn’t do a damn thing with the talent he had.  Good recruiting equals good roster management . You get your guys in the right spots . You can sign every 5 star WR you want , but if you don’t sign the guys you need in the trenches it doesn’t matter. 

Agreed. He got a lot of talented guys but he obviously didn't recruit a complete, balanced roster. Not even close. 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Agreed. He got a lot of talented guys but he obviously didn't recruit a complete, balanced roster. Not even close. 

He also dumbed down any talent we had on our roster.  Outside possibly Tank, he made every player on offense worst.

Just now, W.E.D said:

He also dumbed down any talent we had on our roster.  Outside possibly Tank, he made every player on offense worst.

No doubt, but the conversation went from "Gus can't develop players" to "What about these guys on defense" to "Gus developed guys on defense lol you've got to be joking" to "Well doesn't he get credit for recruiting them?". So the honest response to that IMO is, yes, he was ultimately responsible for the team we recruited. Unfortunately for those who think that's a good thing, just watch those games from 2016-2019 that we lost despite some all-time great performances from our defense and it becomes very apparent that, no, Gus neither did a good job overall of recruiting nor of coaching his players up.

TL;DR Derrick Brown's time at Auburn couldn't possibly be a better demonstration of just how bad Gus was as an offensive coach. 

At least there's this thread from a year ago that makes me feel a bit more hopeful:

(Still would be feeling way more excited if we had hired Napier. It is embarrassing that we're resorting to mining players from FCS schools and Kansas. Our roster could be so badly depleted in five years time that what quality coach would want to come here...this could be a program destroying hire.)

22 hours ago, JDUBB4AU said:

I get what you are saying.  However, I heard very similar things said when Bowden was nudged out the door and again when Tuberville was nudged out the same door.  When it was Chizik's time to go after he made two of the worst hires in Auburn history, many claimed that 2010 was Malzahn/Cam and not Chizik.  Malzahn arrives and rebuilds from the disaster of 2012 and 9 years later he is the worst coach to ever walk in Lee county.  It's comical how message boards encourage the world of absolutes.  The truth is seldom ever an absolute, but found somewhere in between.

One thing I am sure about.... Malzahn has nothing to do with this class currently holding on for dear life to stay in the top 50 or the fact that we are excited about FCS transfers.

Archived